277 volt service

Bazza

My apartment building only supports 277 volt service in my garage, I’m extremely interested in Lucid, but the specifications only support 240 volts. I see that Lucid Intends to support NACS in 2025 - everyone tends to only talk about the J-1772 plug, but what I truly need to confirm is if it will/does support 277v. I’m desperate to have quality information - any guidance?

I doubt that will be supported. You're right, J1772 doesn't support 277VAC, NACS does. However, even there, I think (some) Tesla brand EVSEs are the only ones that have ever supported that, and Tesla has shied away from advertising that recently. Similarly, to my knowledge, only Tesla cars have ever supported 277VAC. It doesn't just require the different connector, it requires different hardware in the car's onboard charger. I'm not clairvoyant, but Lucid's switch to NACS was pretty last minute in terms of the Gravity design, I would be surprised if they changed the internals that much for something hardly anyone would ever use. I think you'll need a transformer.

On another note, if this is a shared apartment building garage, are you even allowed to install a charger? Or are you asking about mobile chargers?

Looks like the mobile charging cable is spec'd for 100-240V, and the Lucid LCHCS is spec'd for 208 - 240VAC, Single Phase.

What that means is you'd need a step-down transformer and a subpanel that can support a 240v breaker.

Also, call an electrician <3

I think your best bet is to email customer care (customercare@lucidmotors) and ask them. As @segbrk points out 277V is not considered for the J1172 standard but is in the J3400 (NACS). I suspect that the Wunderbox would be able to handle 277V just fine but that has not been confirmed by Lucid.

I doubt that will be supported. You're right, J1772 doesn't support 277VAC, NACS does. However, even there, I think (some) Tesla brand EVSEs are the only ones that have ever supported that, and Tesla has shied away from advertising that recently. Similarly, to my knowledge, only Tesla cars have ever supported 277VAC. It doesn't just require the different connector, it requires different hardware in the car's onboard charger. I'm not clairvoyant, but Lucid's switch to NACS was pretty last minute in terms of the Gravity design, I would be surprised if they changed the internals that much for something hardly anyone would ever use. I think you'll need a transformer.

On another note, if this is a shared apartment building garage, are you even allowed to install a charger? Or are you asking about mobile chargers?
Our building is just now actively working on adding the ability to add charging at our respective assigned parking spaces. As I understand it, thanks to NACS, 277 volts will be supported, so the building intends to build out its infrastructure based on 277v. Unfortunately, there is very little information about this, so thats why I am asking.

Our building is just now actively working on adding the ability to add charging at our respective assigned parking spaces. As I understand it, thanks to NACS, 277 volts will be supported, so the building intends to build out its infrastructure based on 277v. Unfortunately, there is very little information about this, so thats why I am asking.
The building would be much better off putting in one big high-amperage transformer to give everybody 240V. 277V is just not well supported by cars or EVSEs, even if NACS itself supports it. Like I said, I don't think anything other than (some) Teslas will currently accept that voltage, so they'll just be creating confusion. I would ask what EVSEs they're planning on installing, maybe they haven't realized this is a problem yet.

My apartment building only supports 277 volt service in my garage, I’m extremely interested in Lucid, but the specifications only support 240 volts. I see that Lucid Intends to support NACS in 2025 - everyone tends to only talk about the J-1772 plug, but what I truly need to confirm is if it will/does support 277v. I’m desperate to have quality information - any guidance?
Are you outside of the US? If so, Lucid likely provides a charging cable with the car that is suitable for use at your location. Perhaps consult with your local sales person?

Are you outside of the US? If so, Lucid likely provides a charging cable with the car that is suitable for use at your location. Perhaps consult with your local sales person?
277V is a US thing, it's just not residential. It's one line of a 480V three phase. Not uncommon in commercial/industrial settings, and it's probably what the parking garage's lighting and fans run on, which is why they would want to just use that.

277V is a US thing, it's just not residential. It's one line of a 480V three phase. Not uncommon in commercial/industrial settings, and it's probably what the parking garage's lighting and fans run on, which is why they would want to just use that.
Got it ... thanks!

277VAC Is so common in the commercial world its surprising the OEMs are not designing for compatibility. Close enough to 240 that cost (if designed from the get go) differential could have been low.

Yes, I am based in the US.

It is my understanding that based on NACS, Lucid will adopt in 2025, hence support 277v? If this is the case, I'm all excited that I could get a new Lucit in 2025 - but that is what I am trying to confirm.

One of the appeals of the J3400 NACS 277V spec is that it won't require a transformer installation if the site has 480V 3ph already connected. Installation without the cost of a big step-down transformer may tip a few more building owners into supporting chargers.

Yes, I am based in the US.

It is my understanding that based on NACS, Lucid will adopt in 2025, hence support 277v? If this is the case, I'm all excited that I could get a new Lucit in 2025 - but that is what I am trying to confirm.
To be clear, the new SAE standard does support 277v, but that *doesn’t mean the cars will*.

To be clear, the new SAE standard does support 277v, but that *doesn’t mean the cars will*.
This is very true. In the case of our Lucid Airs, 277V AC is 780V peak to peak which is below our battery voltage. Hence, it may not be difficult for the Wunderbox to accommodate this.

Back