2 Months Away, 0 Miles on return

rcellio

Cars
Grand Touring
DE Number
I received my Air on April 6th. Drove it home, plugged it in and left for 2 months. I plugged it into a fully functioning 220V outlet. I set the range for around 200 miles as I thought there was no need to set it higher, I knew how long I was going to be gone. The light was green on the charging port when I plugged it in. 5 days before I came back I got a notification that the software had to be updated. OK, I pressed the button and didn't think about it until 3 days later when I got the notification that the software had been updated. I thought it was strange that it would have taken 3 days so I went back to the app which is when it said I had 0 miles and the car was shutting down. I had a neighbor come over, who has had extensive experience with Teslas, and play with it. The charging box LUCID logo was white, so it was fine. No breakers had tripped. The car, when he first found it, was flashing the white light, ready to charge. The 12 volt batteries were almost dead because it would open, after a lot of fiddling, screens come on but only for 5 seconds at a time. Enough time for him to take the charge cable out to see if that was the problem. It wasn't. White flashing light. We tried the 110 volt, didn't make a difference. I called Lucid and asked how was this car going to be towed if we couldn't even get the door open. A very nice person on the other end said that it was a valid question but not to worry, the flatbed driver would jump it. I had the thought after I hung up that I should have asked how they would get the hood open, but just thought I'd wait until the flatbed came. I didn't know this but the jumping points are behind the right rear wheel. You have to take a panel off and there they are. He hooked up a 12v battery to the jumping points and the car came to life but only for 5 to 10 seconds and then it would go back to sleep. In those seconds I would sit in the car and move it to Neutral and the flatbed driver would push. We did this about 20 times. If there was a trend as to for how many seconds the car would stay awake, it was only down. We finally got it on the flatbed and it is now at the Milbrae service center, awaiting service. From what I have read here, was I suppose to be going to the app every few days to wake the car up and have it charge? If that's the case, you're kidding me, right?

Definitely does not sound normal. I haven’t left my car for 2 months before but I did leave it for 3 weeks and other than maybe a few miles leaked away, nothing really out of the ordinary. Certainly not a drain from 100 to 0 like you seem to have experienced :(

I received my Air on April 6th. Drove it home, plugged it in and left for 2 months. I plugged it into a fully functioning 220V outlet. I set the range for around 200 miles as I thought there was no need to set it higher, I knew how long I was going to be gone. The light was green on the charging port when I plugged it in. 5 days before I came back I got a notification that the software had to be updated. OK, I pressed the button and didn't think about it until 3 days later when I got the notification that the software had been updated. I thought it was strange that it would have taken 3 days so I went back to the app which is when it said I had 0 miles and the car was shutting down. I had a neighbor come over, who has had extensive experience with Teslas, and play with it. The charging box LUCID logo was white, so it was fine. No breakers had tripped. The car, when he first found it, was flashing the white light, ready to charge. The 12 volt batteries were almost dead because it would open, after a lot of fiddling, screens come on but only for 5 seconds at a time. Enough time for him to take the charge cable out to see if that was the problem. It wasn't. White flashing light. We tried the 110 volt, didn't make a difference. I called Lucid and asked how was this car going to be towed if we couldn't even get the door open. A very nice person on the other end said that it was a valid question but not to worry, the flatbed driver would jump it. I had the thought after I hung up that I should have asked how they would get the hood open, but just thought I'd wait until the flatbed came. I didn't know this but the jumping points are behind the right rear wheel. You have to take a panel off and there they are. He hooked up a 12v battery to the jumping points and the car came to life but only for 5 to 10 seconds and then it would go back to sleep. In those seconds I would sit in the car and move it to Neutral and the flatbed driver would push. We did this about 20 times. If there was a trend as to for how many seconds the car would stay awake, it was only down. We finally got it on the flatbed and it is now at the Milbrae service center, awaiting service. From what I have read here, was I suppose to be going to the app every few days to wake the car up and have it charge? If that's the case, you're kidding me, right?
The obvious answer is that this should not be the case. Seems like there’s a bug at the moment, however. Hope they get that fixed soon.

Rule number 1 of EVs: You should almost never have to think about charging. Plug it in whenever you are not using it. Let the computer do the rest.

Stupid question. Is the right rear wheel on the passenger side or driver side?

Once we find these jumping points, we can attach a battery maintainer to these jump points to keep the 12V charged when out of town. I keep a maintainer on the 12V of my Model S when out of town.

Right and left side on a car are viewed as you are sitting in the car yourself and looking forward so the right side is passenger side.

Stupid question. Is the right rear wheel on the passenger side or driver side?

Once we find these jumping points, we can attach a battery maintainer to these jump points to keep the 12V charged when out of town. I keep a maintainer on the 12V of my Model S when out of town.
I should have put that in. Passenger side, rear wheel. And it didn't look too easy. There were plastic plugs you had to take out. I think the maintaner would be a good idea but first I'd want to know if the Wunderbox took care of the 12v charging and if it did would you be doing anything damaging to it?

I should have put that in. Passenger side, rear wheel. And it didn't look too easy. There were plastic plugs you had to take out. I think the maintaner would be a good idea but first I'd want to know if the Wunderbox took care of the 12v charging and if it did would you be doing anything damaging to it?
Yeah, if Lucid went this far out of their way to hide this port, not even mentioning it in the manual, there’s no way I’d plug anything into it without getting confirmation first that it wouldn’t do any damage.

Update: The high voltage battery is going to be replaced. Going to 0 bricks it.

Thanks for the update. So if that super small battery dies, it’s game over for the entire car?

Thanks for the update. So if that super small battery dies, it’s game over for the entire car?
They are going to replace the high voltage battery, which takes a day of labor. I don't know about the 12V batteries. They are discharged but I don't know if they have to replace or just charge them up.

That sucks sorry. I wonder how the battery died with the car just sitting around in a garage for a couple months 🤔

That sucks sorry. I wonder how the battery died with the car just sitting around in a garage for a couple months 🤔
I wonder too. I have #450 Roadster and #895 Model S, so this is not my first rodeo. It was plugged in when I left and it showed green on the charge port. How does it go to 0 after 2 months while it is plugged in?

So, that's the thing. Why would it take 3 days to get a notification that the update completed and then find out you're still on the same version as you were before? When it said it completed, 3 days later, I thought "Hmm. That's strange it took so long" so I went into the app and that's when I saw I had 0 miles. Very strange.

Wonder if it has to do with the fact that you ran the update while it was plugged in. Seems to me I remember that when you go to do the update it tells you that you can't be charging while it's updating. If so, seems like there should be something that detects it's charging and not allow the update to start.

Wonder if it has to do with the fact that you ran the update while it was plugged in. Seems to me I remember that when you go to do the update it tells you that you can't be charging while it's updating. If so, seems like there should be something that detects it's charging and not allow the update to start.
Hmm. I didn’t see that notice. But it was only 3 days between starting it and then finding out there was 0 miles. I don’t think it could discharge that soon.

I’ve done the update while plugged In. It just disables charging while it’s updating.

I’ve done the update while plugged In. It just disables charging while it’s updating.
Does the charging restart when the update is done?

Back