Haha! I really wanted to go home getting so close home, but I found it very risky when I briefly snoozed behind the wheel at 1am. Time to be safe. It’s almost 2000 miles driving from Santa Monica to Las Vegas to home.

And I’m very much agree Rivian is basically rugged like Jeep merged with Tesla, but its internal cabin is way nicer than Jeep and Tesla. And it has more cool features than Wrangler Rubicon. If Rivian can keep up like this, game over for Jeep and Range Rover.
Not to derail this thread but R1S being compared to a Jeep is disappointing. I loved my Jeep as a kid, but I ride in one lately and was surprised by the noisy cabin and how bad it drove. Anyways, 2.0.50 seems like a benign update.

With regard to doors, I too find that I cannot get my driver's door to stay open. Even on level ground the door keeps swinging back at me. Not good.

one of my doors fails to soft close about half of the time. i'm pretty sure it's hardware related and not software. i'll install this update and see if things improve. I wish Lucid was little bit more specific about what it actually fixes.

Over the past 13 months, our car has had almost every software-related malfunction possible with the car's features. Soft-close door operation has not been among them. I suspect the operation of the soft-close feature has more to do with mechanicals than software. My guess is this update relates to door locking/unlocking which has been a much-more reported complaint on this forum than the soft-close feature.

While we're on the topic of doors, has anyone else had problems with the old-fashioned operation of the doors? When exiting the car, especially in front, I have found it difficult to get the door properly positioned. If I push the door as far as my arm will reach, it catches on the first detent, which is not wide enough for an easy exit. If I push the door harder so that momentum will carry it past the first detent, the door often bounces back from the full open position. It's a real hat trick to push the door just hard enough for it to go past the first detent, then land and hold on the full-open detent. Since my arm isn't long enough to do it toward the center of the door, I have to do it either from the front edge of the door (where it is very hard to modulate the pressure needed) or by pushing the door pocket with my foot (causing me to wonder how long it will hold up under the abuse).

The Air has very wide-opening doors, which would be a great feature if they had stayed with the original plan of having power-operated doors. But now -- and with the very low roof contrails -- reaching out far enough to open and close those doors at full extension is something I find very difficult.
Yeah my back can tell whenever I am entering or exiting but I basically rotate my left leg a bit and basically exit towards the rear door than sideways to use the higher side of the door. Still hurts my back but the door is only open until that first stop.

one of my doors fails to soft close about half of the time. i'm pretty sure it's hardware related and not software. i'll install this update and see if things improve. I wish Lucid was little bit more specific about what it actually fixes.
Secrets

So any more issues with soft close for those who had no issues after this update?

This update will most certainly not do anything for people having soft close issues. That's purely mechanical, as far as I know. You need to get customer care on that as soon as possible.

My guess is this update is for improving the reliability of the proximity lock and unlock via fob and mobile phone. Which would be great, because a lot of people seem to have issues with that.

I was not having any real issues with that, so I noticed no difference after running the update. But everything else does seem to be working fine for me post update.

As I've said before, it's doubtful many of the issues people experience with these updates are due to any specific thing in the update. Most likely the update process itself is failing to reboot some systems, or putting your car's computers in a strange state. I've found after resetting (using all the reset methods, but especially the "forbidden" one when things really go awry) puts the car back into a clean state in most cases. If you are still experiencing issues even after resetting, it could be you have a hardware or firmware issue that just wasn't evident prior to the update.

The sofware devs aren't secretly making changes to the camera software, or the sirius software, and then leaving that out of the release notes. I too wish they would put more detail in there, but my guess is if they actually were to address those systems in any significant way, they'd mention it. The bugs some people are having, then, are most likely coincidental.

Last edited:
Over the past 13 months, our car has had almost every software-related malfunction possible with the car's features. Soft-close door operation has not been among them. I suspect the operation of the soft-close feature has more to do with mechanicals than software. My guess is this update relates to door locking/unlocking which has been a much-more reported complaint on this forum than the soft-close feature.

While we're on the topic of doors, has anyone else had problems with the old-fashioned operation of the doors? When exiting the car, especially in front, I have found it difficult to get the door properly positioned. If I push the door as far as my arm will reach, it catches on the first detent, which is not wide enough for an easy exit. If I push the door harder so that momentum will carry it past the first detent, the door often bounces back from the full open position. It's a real hat trick to push the door just hard enough for it to go past the first detent, then land and hold on the full-open detent. Since my arm isn't long enough to do it toward the center of the door, I have to do it either from the front edge of the door (where it is very hard to modulate the pressure needed) or by pushing the door pocket with my foot (causing me to wonder how long it will hold up under the abuse).

The Air has very wide-opening doors, which would be a great feature if they had stayed with the original plan of having power-operated doors. But now -- and with the very low roof contrails -- reaching out far enough to open and close those doors at full extension is something I find very difficult.
Fully agree. What I have done is purchase matching (well close) adhesive backed leather to the place where my foot needs to contact the door pocket to push without having to worry about permanent damage to the factory leather. Amazon sells many. Not the best looking fix, but highly protective.

My driver door will not "latch" closed. I hear the motor trying, but needs to be SLAMMED. Started happening 6 weeks after picked up. Service is coming out next week for that plus inoperable driver window, thermometer 10+/- degrees high.
I also get "flashed" at night a lot as though my high beams are on. Anyone else experience getting "flashed"? Tech said he would check that as well.
I have this with the lights also.

Apple CarPlay is coming, this is just an appetizer, main course is right behind.
I'm also going to win Mega Millions one day....... I can feel it, the next ticket is the winner 😂

I have seen no difference after this update but was not having any challenges prior.

Make sure to pack plenty of snacks while you wait for the main course.
All the people who went to the CarPlay party and are still waiting. 😂

images

I’ve noticed this as well. My folks also have a GT and have a difficult time getting the doors in the proper position. It doesn’t bother me as much, but it would if I was older and less nimble.

Speaking of soft door close, Rivian R1S does not have it. I have to slam door sometimes to close. And not funny to get off driver seat to go to right rear passenger to open close in very cold weather. I am spoiled by AGT.
Wait, the R1S doesn’t have soft close doors? The humanity!! I’m here for you in this difficult time.

The lack of information provided by Lucid in the vehicle release notes updates is indefensible at at this point. It doesn't cost much for the company to provide more detailed release notes.

There's no reason for it, other than a lack of transparency seems to be the policy of Lucid management.

It can be a safety issue if the vehicle's operating characteristics are changed by an update and the driver does not know what's been changed.

I know that Lucid management, including upper management, reads this board. The lack of transparency in the release notes needs to be addressed. This lack of release information lowers owner satisfaction, and that in turn costs Lucid more than the cost of providing detailed release notes
I tend to agree with this sentiment. The lack of real information is a little insulting… as if I may not be able to comprehend the operation of a door.

Back