19 vs. 20 vs. 21 tires for Touring

I was always under the impression from what I’ve read that the 19s gave a better ride and range and the 20/21s better handling.

@victoryroad . I second your comments with one caveat. In my humble opinion, I think much of the 21" problem is due to driving style and tire pressure. 42 lbs is too low for the 21". I am now at 46 and check pressure every two weeks. I loose a psi a week perhaps due to my altitude and varying temps. The car handles much better at 45 and only gives up a tad of comfort. I would rather have the performance and safety edge of more air cushion.

A 19" with 45 sidewall will inherently have fewer issues and is more forgiving. The 20 and 21 take more care. Lower profile tires ALWAYS have taken more care

Having driven Airs with 19 and 21s, the 21s, at 45/46 psi, handle far noticeable better, the car has less oversteer. The car is almost tossible in turns. Almost, for a steamroller.

I have a set of new 19" Michi Pilot Alpin 5s and new wheels waiting for winter. Curious how the Air will handle.

@victoryroad , you keep praying to the Michelin gods for more low profile EV tires, and I will pray to Conti. May one of our prayers get through.
My Pirelli Sotto Zeros were a bit softer than the Pirelli stock AS tires and worked very well in ice and snow last winter in NH. Maybe they will be good for a few winter seasons, but if they are anything like the Alpins or Blizzaks once they wear they are ineffective in slippery conditions. My next winter tires will be Nokian if they are available for the AGT.

I was always under the impression from what I’ve read that the 19s gave a better ride and range and the 20/21s better handling.
I think you are saying: our 19s, with 45 ratio, all season tires, give a more comfortable forgiving ride experience that 21s. I would agree.

If by "better ride," you mean "plush comfort without feeling a lot of road imperfections," that also can be said of any 45 ratio tire vs 35, especially when you factor in an all Season tire vs an ultimate performance summer tire. -- Generally.

Our OEM 19s have 45 ratio and all season tires. The 20 and 21 have 35 and 40 ratio, with ultra performance summer tires. Inherently very different design specs. Ultimate performance high speed summer low profile tires are designed to about two things well: dry and wet handling. All season tires are the "ultimate" compromise of temp range, snow, ice, rain, hot dry road, thread life. That said, in 25 years, A/S have gotten amazingly better performing all around than the early horrible A/S tires that did nothing well. Ex: The Conti DWS 06+ and I sure there are Michi examples, Pilot A/S.

@Lucken - let me further confuse the issue. It also depends on what tire the manufacturer designed the suspension around. This was an issue with Audi's 20-25 years ago. Audi AG designed some of its higher performance cars for use with real high performance tires. Note, all season tires were an AMERICAN invention unknown in the EU. Then, Audi USA, in its wisdon, decided to spec the cars they imported from Audi DE with cushy grand touring tires. It did not work out well.

The nice thing about all this: several choices. Conti makes 50 types of tyres. To each their own! DISCLAIMER: My lessons often came from mistakes - I have had to remove certain tyres from a "family" car because my wife INSISTED. Happy wife, ...

My Pirelli Sotto Zeros were a bit softer than the Pirelli stock AS tires and worked very well in ice and snow last winter in NH. Maybe they will be good for a few winter seasons, but if they are anything like the Alpins or Blizzaks once they wear they are ineffective in slippery conditions. My next winter tires will be Nokian if they are available for the AGT.

Former Nokian fan here. Living for a decade in Vail, those of us with Audi Quattros were the Nokian test ground, even back in days when it was still called Nokia Tyres. Had several pair of Hakki's which were like snow plows in 24" of fresh powder. Let us know what you find.

Did not know about the Alpin changing ice traction with wear. I am familiar with Blizzaks changing, but I do not have much choice with my unusual winter drying.

I looked a month ago and did not see anything at Nokian rated for our Lucids, for 19", for winter. I cannot use an H rated Nokian tyre for winter, where I go from the mtns with 12" of fresh powder/20F, to Denver, at 75mph, with a temp of 60F and bone dry roads, and then back to 20F, the same day. And the weather and temp differentials are just going to get worse.

Back