1 week review of Lucid Navigation

AwesoM

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
2024 Lucid Touring
DE Number
Here are now in our new Touring for 6.5 days and today was when we took a 120 mile trip one way. I have to say there are a couple of observations and maybe it is user error?

1) when sending address to the car from Lucid App are you able to send it ahead of time? I tried sending it the night before and it said it was successful but when I got in the car in the morning I did not see where I had sent it. I sent again while in the car and it popped up in the right side of the dash to accept. Is this normal? Or did I miss something when I started the car in the morning?

2) tried to use google maps to send the destination to the Lucid app but it thinks for a little and then it errors out without any descriptive message. Is this even supported?

3) I have to say the logic of the map is pretty bad. When on a long route the ability to reroute on the interstate is pretty bad. We were riding the HOV lane. While it recognized it, it kept asking us to make a U turn on the interstate making the directions a little useless. Could this be attributed to the maps lack of ability to choose route options like no tolls, avoid highway, avoid hov etc? Because it can’t do it causes it to be contorted when faced with these route decisions and it defaults to the path of “least” resistance?

4) I am not a fan of using my phone as a map, car play or otherwise, then it means manufacturers can just push development to Apple or Android. Is this the case as to what is happening here? They are only going to improve the phone experience like CarPlay but neglect their own software? I only have BMW to compare to and this reminds me of BMW maps 15 years ago… rendering it useless at times.

Insights greatly welcome…

this is a loaded software/operating system question. if you want reliability, use CarPlay with Waze, Google Maps, or Apple Maps. Lucid is a car company with lacking software support for now.

1 & 2: I think you are trying to send an address from your phone to the car and get in next day and have it on navigation? while this is possible, lucid's software not ready to reliably do this in advanced because once you send the destination, you need to confirm within a few sec from inside the car.

3: yes the built in map sucks, I'd recommend mainly use it for long trips or no internet on phone as it will calculate charging requirements and identifying charging stations

4: CarPlay is MacOS and once connected you can use apps from different vendors, all are independent from one another. so for example if apple does a great job updating their OS, you will have a good car play experience but the apps are all dependent on if the vendors are updating them.

1 & 2: I think you are trying to send an address from your phone to the car and get in next day and have it on navigation? while this is possible, lucid's software not ready to reliably do this in advanced because once you send the destination, you need to confirm within a few sec from inside the car.

3: yes the built in map sucks, I'd recommend mainly use it for long trips or no internet on phone as it will calculate charging requirements and identifying charging stations
#1 & 2: This is not true. I've sent destinations from the app at night and seen it in the car the next morning. A few times, so it wasn't a fluke. You don't see it in maps. You see it on the home cockpit display, underneath Home and Work destinations. When you select the address, it will open in the Lucid's Maps screen. That being said, I have an Android Auto unit in the car, and tend to use Google Maps for navigation, since it is better. Except for #3, where the car does find the charging stations and turns on preconditioning automatically.
I know there's a lot of complaints about the HERE maps. But honestly, I've never owned or rented a car that had native Navigation that was as good as Google or Waze. HERE is definitely better than some of the others.

Reactions: Tym
#1 & 2: This is not true. I've sent destinations from the app at night and seen it in the car the next morning. A few times, so it wasn't a fluke. You don't see it in maps. You see it on the home cockpit display, underneath Home and Work destinations. When you select the address, it will open in the Lucid's Maps screen. That being said, I have an Android Auto unit in the car, and tend to use Google Maps for navigation, since it is better. Except for #3, where the car does find the charging stations and turns on preconditioning automatically.
I know there's a lot of complaints about the HERE maps. But honestly, I've never owned or rented a car that had native Navigation that was as good as Google or Waze. HERE is definitely better than some of the others.
Thank you. I found the entry under the right screen under work. Was that as apparent at the time. I am a big fan of using what is in the car and not using an aux device ie phone. Else why did we buy a car with the options right? I will still continue to use it, so long as I get closer to the vicinity and it figures out where I need to go is fine… but I thought the days that a map is asking to make a u turn on the interstate was behind me… but here we are.

...But honestly, I've never owned or rented a car that had native Navigation that was as good as Google or Waze....
Many other manufacturers' cars have native Google maps built in now. There's no need to suffer with second rate choices.

You are correct. It will show up as a link and you can click on it under the home icon.

I thought OP was trying to achieve a seamless send and drive navigation in advance. He also described it as it showing up requiring acknowledgement in some form, which in my experience is normal for lucid and no work around.

Reactions: Plg
Many other manufacturers' cars have native Google maps built in now. There's no need to suffer with second rate choices.
Some, but not all. A few years ago, my Honda couldn't find a hospital that was 7 miles down the street. And last week I had a newish Mercedes rental while my car was in service, and that couldn't find my home address. Thankfully, it did have AA built in, so once I got my phone set up, all was good.

I feel like car manufacturers are trying to defer the development to phone companies versus making their product more robust. Totally understand at this point we are running Beta 2.3.1 still frustrating that what is suppose to be standard in most lower end vehicles our high end vehicle is not….

Lately I'd thought that sending a destination from the phone app to the car wasn't working. But I see now that the sent destination tile may have been hidden off-screen, below the Home and Work tiles. IMO any destination sent to the car should appear at the top of the stack of tiles, not lower down off-screen.

Lately I'd thought that sending a destination from the phone app to the car wasn't working. But I see now that the sent destination tile may have been hidden off-screen, below the Home and Work tiles. IMO any destination sent to the car should appear at the top of the stack of tiles, not lower down off-screen.
Exactly. Which was why I could not find it as I did not know where to look.

Back