Zero charge Lucid Air

Sport

Cars
Volvo XC90 xc60
Have had new Lucid Air for some months. Love the car! One problem has been GFI circuit breaker in condo 240v, 50 amp wiring has clashed with car’s GFI in Wunderbox and caused tripping of condo power feed. (This has been as condo wiring engineer predicted. The top Lucid engineer assured me this problem would not occur.). Problem was manageable while we were in residence. However, before leaving on one month trip abroad I phoned Customer Care to ask would I be ok if circuit broke.? They assured me even if circuit broke car should go weeks or months without discharging too low. I read into this that Lucid has same feature as other ev’s - that in such eventuality car would automatically decrease energy use to bare minimum. As a backup I asked out housekeeper to check once a week and showed her to reset circuit breaker at our bay. I knew that compounding my vulnerability is that our condo garage had not yet been wired for Internet so my remote readings of car’s status might be unreliable.

Sure enough over course of week or two car went to zero and Lucid announced they would have to retrieve. Problem went from bad to worse as it has taken Lucid weeks and weeks to figure how to retrieve car from below below ground garage given normal rescue flatbed cannot access basement level. Solution eventually turned out to be a smaller truck and use of “gojaks” on back tires. Understand nearest service garage has at least 2 other zero charge Airs in process of repair and this takes some time. Can anyone shed light on what is going on? Given car continues to sit in bay with zero charge and much time has gone by, I worry could there be damage to some battery cells. Googling suggests this could be a concern. love my car and have had great service from Lucid overall. I put this all down a series of bad luck events.

Sport

Have had new Lucid Air for some months. Love the car! One problem has been GFI circuit breaker in condo 240v, 50 amp wiring has clashed with car’s GFI in Wunderbox and caused tripping of condo power feed. (This has been as condo wiring engineer predicted. The top Lucid engineer assured me this problem would not occur.). Problem was manageable while we were in residence. However, before leaving on one month trip abroad I phoned Customer Care to ask would I be ok if circuit broke.? They assured me even if circuit broke car should go weeks or months without discharging too low. I read into this that Lucid has same feature as other ev’s - that in such eventuality car would automatically decrease energy use to bare minimum. As a backup I asked out housekeeper to check once a week and showed her to reset circuit breaker at our bay. I knew that compounding my vulnerability is that our condo garage had not yet been wired for Internet so my remote readings of car’s status might be unreliable.

Sure enough over course of week or two car went to zero and Lucid announced they would have to retrieve. Problem went from bad to worse as it has taken Lucid weeks and weeks to figure how to retrieve car from below below ground garage given normal rescue flatbed cannot access basement level. Solution eventually turned out to be a smaller truck and use of “gojaks” on back tires. Understand nearest service garage has at least 2 other zero charge Airs in process of repair and this takes some time. Can anyone shed light on what is going on? Given car continues to sit in bay with zero charge and much time has gone by, I worry could there be damage to some battery cells. Googling suggests this could be a concern. love my car and have had great service from Lucid overall. I put this all down a series of bad luck events.

Sport
This seems unusual. I’ve definitely left my car unchanged for months while I was in Europe, and it didn’t lose very much charge at all.

We left our AGT unplugged in our garage in AZ for three months (we spend summers in the Philly area). During that time the SOC went from 80% to 47%. So we could have left it sitting for at least 4-5 months without a problem.

We left our AGT unplugged in our garage in AZ for three months (we spend summers in the Philly area). During that time the SOC went from 80% to 47%. So we could have left it sitting for at least 4-5 months without a problem.
Very interesting. Unless you AC your garage, the car was sitting in temperature around 100 during the daytime. That is a pretty good loss record for sitting in that temperature.

Did the 12 Volt battery remain charged as well. That supposedly is the issue when a car is not charged or driven for a while based on some other discussions here.

Most manufacturers list a “total” and “useable” battery capacity. Most manufacturers limit the charging with a “false floor” so that when it says zero the battery is not actually zero. And also a “false ceiling” where 100% does not actually mean 100% capacity. This is because both zero charge and 100% charge are bad for the battery. For instance, my I pace has a 90kW battery but only 85 kW usable. Here’s an article

So most of the time you can’t damage the battery significantly unless you really tried. Having said that I fear lucid has made a deal with the devil and made the total 118kW useable.

This means that 0% may actually mean 0% and maybe your battery has been damaged. Hopefully it hasn’t been

My car is losing 4-7 miles a day sitting in my hot garage in South Florida, unplugged. I brought it to service's attention and their response was that the estimated range will fluctuate and I should really be looked at SOC. Going to switch the display to SOC versus miles to see what type of parasitic loss I am experiencing with the fans in the car cranking to keep everything within normal limits. Hoping that service is correct and I am not draining the batteries as my car sits.

If the car was left plugged in, wouldn’t that have kept the car in an active “preparing to charge” state that many have seen? That has resulted in some dramatic range losses in other folks’ cars.

Very interesting. Unless you AC your garage, the car was sitting in temperature around 100 during the daytime. That is a pretty good loss record for sitting in that temperature.
No AC in the garage. So the ambient temperature during the virtually the whole time the car was in storage was >90°.

My car is losing 4-7 miles a day sitting in my hot garage in South Florida, unplugged. I brought it to service's attention and their response was that the estimated range will fluctuate and I should really be looked at SOC. Going to switch the display to SOC versus miles to see what type of parasitic loss I am experiencing with the fans in the car cranking to keep everything within normal limits. Hoping that service is correct and I am not draining the batteries as my car sits.
After the first few days of three months sitting unplugged and untouched, my car lost less that 1/2% SOC each day in a very hot AZ garage.

After the first few days of three months sitting unplugged and untouched, my car lost less that 1/2% SOC each day in a very hot AZ garage.

I feel your pain. Thankfully we are moving into the cooler season so the car shouldn't have to work as hard to keep the temps down while sitting idle.

If the car was left plugged in, wouldn’t that have kept the car in an active “preparing to charge” state that many have seen? That has resulted in some dramatic range losses in other folks’ cars.
It definitely shouldn’t lose charge much if plugged in as every time you wake the vehicle from the app it will initiate charging if it’s lower than your set SOC%.

It definitely shouldn’t lose charge much if plugged in as every time you wake the vehicle from the app it will initiate charging if it’s lower than your set SOC%.
I remember it being a problem months ago and wasn’t sure if that had been fixed 🤷‍♂️

Back