Winter tires

I’m seriously wondering if there’s a temperature (not snow) where 21” tires pose an issue. About to go from Florida to Georgia so hoping no..

Ooops. I see “non run flat” in your previous post. Sorry.
No worries
Again, I wanted the run flats as they are really helpful when a tire loses air 40 miles from home
But Lucid does not currently have a run flat option
I had the car out this evening and they are great in the cold
Also, I haven't driven my car in a couple of weeks and had multiple software updates
The car does appear to wake up faster and the nav was doing a much better job of getting from a to b
I am even getting past my fear of leaving it parked on city streets (that's on me, not the car)

These are the winter compound tires specified for Lucid that I will order as they become available. I will not get run-flat tires. I ran Sottozeros on my Panama GTS and 991 Turbo S for several winters and they work as well as Alpins and Blizzaks. Nokia winter tires are probably the best but may not become available for the Air.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 12.03.12 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 12.03.12 PM.png
    452.7 KB · Views: 92
As regard to ANY tire for the Air - make sure that the ability to handle a 5,000 car can be safely done with the tire. Many of the tires mentioned here and in other posts are not able to take the weight. This is especially true for winter tires - these may be good for snow and cold conditions BUT the extra weight will bring potential failure quicker and more dramatically. Use your head and ask a lot of questions first.

As regard to ANY tire for the Air - make sure that the ability to handle a 5,000 car can be safely done with the tire. Many of the tires mentioned here and in other posts are not able to take the weight. This is especially true for winter tires - these may be good for snow and cold conditions BUT the extra weight will bring potential failure quicker and more dramatically. Use your head and ask a lot of questions first.
The tire is specifically for Lucid.

I was looking on the tire rack web site and they said they were sold out for the season for the Lucid specific 19 inch Pirelli Sotto Zero 3

Attachments

• IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 71
These are the winter compound tires specified for Lucid that I will order as they become available. I will not get run-flat tires. I ran Sottozeros on my Panama GTS and 991 Turbo S for several winters and they work as well as Alpins and Blizzaks. Nokia winter tires are probably the best but may not become available for the Air.
FWIW I have a quote from Lucid for these tires @ $325ea not including TPMS. Seems like a good deal.

I’m seriously wondering if there’s a temperature (not snow) where 21” tires pose an issue. About to go from Florida to Georgia so hoping no..
If you are lucky, you can get out of the North during this warm spell!

Okay, what if your car is sitting in Temps below 40 but not driving. Do they still incur irrepable damage?
I wondered that too, and also wondered if Tire Rack's warning might be applicable only to certain manufacturers. I tried finding corresponding information on Michelin's website but couldn't. If I lived in a cold climate I'd be tempted to call Michelin and Pirelli and get their official recommendation.

Okay, what if your car is sitting in Temps below 40 but not driving. Do they still incur irrepable damage?
So I was told by a tire guy a few years ago that heavy vehicles that are not driven for prolonged periods can permanently damage tires- some sort of flattening issue? I just got my AGT so I’m going to get by with the new AW tires for now, but next season I will probably get the Pirelli winter tires. They worked well on my XJ and panamera

So I was told by a tire guy a few years ago that heavy vehicles that are not driven for prolonged periods can permanently damage tires- some sort of flattening issue? I just got my AGT so I’m going to get by with the new AW tires for now, but next season I will probably get the Pirelli winter tires. They worked well on my XJ and panamera
I think flat spotting has generally been exaggerated. I suggest asking the tire manufacturer for their recommendation. My guess is it would take several months before becoming a concern.

Pete

2 questions about winter tires:

1. I have the 19 inch all season tires that came installed with the car and my Gawd they’re awful in the snow! We got our first snow of the season today here in MA and I was slipping and sliding all the way back home! Super stressful.

Has anyone tried these Pirelli and seen a big improvement over the all season that came with the 19 inch wheels ?

2. What about that Michelins X-ice snow ? They seem to be higher rated than these pirellies on the Tirerack site and are actually slightly cheaper too ?

Thanx for ur help!

1. I have the 19 inch all season tires that came installed with the car and my Gawd they’re awful in the snow! We got our first snow of the season today here in MA and I was slipping and sliding all the way back home! Super stressful.

Has anyone tried these Pirelli and seen a big improvement over the all season that came with the 19 inch wheels ?

2. What about that Michelins X-ice snow ? They seem to be higher rated than these pirellies on the Tirerack site and are actually slightly cheaper too ?

Thanx for ur helpi

Thanx for ur help!
I have always had winter sets for all my vehicles. I purchased and have put about 2,000 miles on the Lucid 19” wheels with the Pirellis. The total was about $4,200 with tax (including the TPMS, install, mount/balance).

I live in MN and often have to drive in pretty rough stuff. I’ve been really impressed and honestly surprised with the Pirellis. Grip is great especially on packed snow and ice. Quiet on the road also.

I would buy this setup again knowing what I know now - no question

Haven’t had any experience with my Lucid on Michelins and this is just my two cents worth having driven in two legit blizzards (12/7 and 11/31).

I have always had winter sets for all my vehicles. I purchased and have put about 2,000 miles on the Lucid 19” wheels with the Pirellis. The total was about $4,200 with tax (including the TPMS, install, mount/balance).

I live in MN and often have to drive in pretty rough stuff. I’ve been really impressed and honestly surprised with the Pirellis. Grip is great especially on packed snow and ice. Quiet on the road also.

I would buy this setup again knowing what I know now - no question

Haven’t had any experience with my Lucid on Michelins and this is just my two cents worth having driven in two legit blizzards (12/7 and 11/31).
+1 to all this, including MN residency! Note that the Pirelli winter tires you buy direct ftom Lucid are optimized for the car. The Air is a very heavy car, so load rating is important, and the tires are also designed differently for EVs.

FWIW, was told by Scottsdale SC that 20 inch tires are likely to have all season in the future, and they're not sure about the 21.

FWIW, was told by Scottsdale SC that 20 inch tires are likely to have all season in the future, and they're not sure about the 21.
This would be a huge win. I’m really debating on seeking out my own set of 20” all wheels when my 21” run dry to have an all season set that isn’t just flat out 19”. Also, 20”s are significantly cheaper and better for any dirt roads.

Yes...same thing...my DA said a 20" all-weather is in the works and should be available mid-2023

Back