Wind Noise

I did this just an hour or so ago and took it out for a spin on the freeway at several different speeds from 50 to 90 mph but unfortunately in my case, this has not worked. Wind noise at prior levels still persists. I did exactly what the video showed but no dice. This is turning out to be a vexing problem! And Bobby owes me $20 and an hour of labor now 😁

I love that word, “vexing”.

I also experimented with this Bobby workaround. I have to admit, if it reduced the wind rush noise at all, it was minimal to no change.

So then, I decided to overdo it by adding more rubber stripping to more areas of the door frame and the door itself. I’ve attached a few pictures below. To my surprise, adding two or three more layers of rubber stripping actually made the wind noise worse. I’m wondering if the door is now being prevented from self-closing fully and tightly against the door frame.

When I get back to my car tomorrow, I’ll “reverse engineer” some things and remove the overkill, extra rubber stripping. I’ll see if that improves things. A few pictures below of what I added to the door. Forgot to take pictures of where I added to the door frame:

Attachments

• IMG_1631.webp
    IMG_1631.webp
    458.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1632.webp
    IMG_1632.webp
    463.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1633.webp
    IMG_1633.webp
    444.5 KB · Views: 55
I also experimented with this Bobby workaround. I have to admit, if it reduced the wind rush noise at all, it was minimal to no change.

So then, I decided to overdo it by adding more rubber stripping to more areas of the door frame and the door itself. I’ve attached a few pictures below. To my surprise, adding two or three more layers of rubber stripping actually made the wind noise worse. I’m wondering if the door is now being prevented from self-closing fully and tightly against the door frame.

When I get back to my car tomorrow, I’ll “reverse engineer” some things and remove the overkill, extra rubber stripping. I’ll see if that improves things. A few pictures below of what I added to the door. Forgot to take pictures of where I added to the door frame:
Yeah I had my driver's door refuse to close too after I added the rubber stripping. I then had to rework it a bit to move it even closer to the body of the car..then the door closed fine but I'm beginning to believe that it must be something else other than the wind entering the cabin. The rear view mirrors? Some have even said the trim on the hood? Don't know anymore...and now I just turn up the volume of my music

Yeah, I had my driver's door refuse to close, too, after I added the rubber stripping. I then had to rework it a bit to move it closer to the body of the car..then the door closed fine, but I'm beginning to believe that it must be something else other than the wind entering the cabin. The rear view mirrors? Some have even said the trim on the hood? Don't know anymore...and now I just turn up the volume of my music
I thought rear-view mirrors were a known suspect. Lucid mobile tech told me that but also indicated that nothing really can be done because they are part of the car's aerodynamic profile and that they are a function of the airflow over those parts. I'm not sure if others heard similar, but that is what I was told after he test-drove with me. Driving against a headwind definitely increased the noise level. Going in the opposite direction on the same highway reduced it.

My British English schooling at play ... 😆

I went to boarding school in England too, for three years. Private prep school down near Eastbourne, Sussex Co. Sadly, my school is no more. The main red-brick Edwardian-style school building still stands, but all the outer buildings and cricket/rugby/soccer pitches now have town homes growing on them.

I thought rear-view mirrors were a known suspect. Lucid mobile tech told me that but also indicated that nothing really can be done because they are part of the car's aerodynamic profile and that they are a function of the airflow over those parts. I'm not sure if others heard similar, but that is what I was told after he test-drove with me. Driving against a headwind definitely increased the noise level. Going in the opposite direction on the same highway reduced it.

Yes. I’ve noticed this too. Leaving my house, and going downhill and westbound (into the prevailing surface winds), the wind noise is more pronounced. Driving north to LAX in a crosswind, and then home again southeast bound, the wind noise is less.

Maybe we’ll all have to learn to just live with it, until Lucid redesigns the door mirrors, or introduces double paned glass or something, in its future Airs and Gravity(s).

Is anyone experiencing this wind noise in a 2025 model? Does anyone know if it has been fixed for 2025?

I went to boarding school in England too, for three years. Private prep school down near Eastbourne, Sussex Co. Sadly, my school is no more. The main red-brick Edwardian-style school building still stands, but all the outer buildings and cricket/rugby/soccer pitches now have town homes growing on them.
I went to an Irish-Catholic all boys school from KG till college...manners, elocution and punctuation were a top priority..fun days..

I went to an Irish-Catholic all boys school from KG till college...manners, elocution and punctuation were a top priority..fun days..
Sorry if I’m way too late to the thread… I tried reading as much as I could but lots of moving conversations. Is the wind noise you’re hearing like a whistling sound? Occurring intermittently? I had a wind noise issue when I first got the car but I ended up solving it so thought maybe I could pass along my fix if that’s the issue you’re facing

Sorry if I’m way too late to the thread… I tried reading as much as I could but lots of moving conversations. Is the wind noise you’re hearing like a whistling sound? Occurring intermittently? I had a wind noise issue when I first got the car but I ended up solving it so thought maybe I could pass along my fix if that’s the issue you’re facing
Mine is more like a fluttering sound. As if there was a piece of cloth stuck on the outside of the car between the window and it's gaskets when it's fully closed. I refer to it as the curtain fluttering noise. Hope that makes sense.. no whistling in my case.

Mine is more like a fluttering sound. As if there was a piece of cloth stuck on the outside of the car between the window and it's gaskets when it's fully closed. I refer to it as the curtain fluttering noise. Hope that makes sense.. no whistling in my case.
ahhh, I see what you’re saying. that sounds pretty annoying. i’d be curious if the foam supporting the hood vents isn’t entirely pressed into place so it’s flapping/fluttering as wind passes through. i didn’t have the fluttering issue, but i did notice while washing my car one day that the foam piece underneath the trim wasn’t pressed in all the way. maybe that’s what actually solved my whistling problem? lol

ahhh, I see what you’re saying. that sounds pretty annoying. i’d be curious if the foam supporting the hood vents isn’t entirely pressed into place so it’s flapping/fluttering as wind passes through. i didn’t have the fluttering issue, but i did notice while washing my car one day that the foam piece underneath the trim wasn’t pressed in all the way. maybe that’s what actually solved my whistling problem? lol
Wait...what foam piece?? Would you be so kind as to take a photo of it and post and inform me of what needs to be pressed down etc?

I have wind noise from RR window on 2024 Touring.
Pic shows gap in trim above RR window. Much larger gap than LR.
Have appt at Svc on Sat.
20241021_203554.webp

yeah, of course! this is the piece i’m referring to
Thanks. Now, what is the fix for this foam piece? Cut it off? Tape it up? Any thoughts?

My word, what body part is that? Is it on the bonnet?
Open the frunk, look at the bottom of the air vent ..there's two on each end of the trunk..then there is foam ..which is suspected to create a flutter

Back