Will the RWD Air be quieter

AIR.LUCID

Cars
‘04 Prius, ‘98 MB SLK230
I have heard in Air videos that the whine of the front motor can be annoying. Will the RWD Pure be quieter because there’s no front motor and there is a metal roof?

I believe this was the case with the RWD MS vs the AWD MS. So it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if that were the case here. Of course that assumes that the Pure will receive the same acoustic treatments the higher end variants have.

Some like the whine, some like the extreme quietness. I'm in the 2nd camp, but as they say, that's what makes horse racing.

There's maybe 2 people on these forums who've seen a Pure in the metal, and none who've driven them, so it would be a guessing game at this point.

I'd bet money the RWD version will be quieter, but the AWD version will be the same as the other vehicles. The whine might be more muted though on AWD since the motors will be running at lower power (that part is speculation).

The motor whine gives one a little feedback while driving. I personally don’t mind it at all, and have kind of grown to enjoy it.😊

I wonder if Lucid could answer your question.

With half as many sources of motor whine, I assume it would be much quieter, plus there is a lot more material between the rear motor and the driver vs just a firewall between the front motor and driver.

Front and back motors are mounted very differently. Rear motor basically doesn't make any noise at all. So RWD will be very quit.

Front motor whining is a pretty polarizing feature. I called it a feature because I think this is a deliberate choice by Lucid. I happen to really enjoy it, because I need feedback and don't want fake noise like they offered in other EVs. My prediction is they will remove the front motor whining in future updates and replace it with fake noise so people can turn it on/off.

You're kidding, right? They actually did this on purpose? It is extremely annoying to me, so I can understand the polarizing comment. I can understand giving some people feedback, but surely this could be done via the sound system.

Is your impression this is actually coming from the motors? Or synthesized?

You're kidding, right? They actually did this on purpose? It is extremely annoying to me, so I can understand the polarizing comment. I can understand giving some people feedback, but surely this could be done via the sound system.

As far as we know, it is coming from the front motor. And it’s a feature, not a bug, as the expression goes.

Like it or hate it, it’s what Apple would call “Works as designed.”

Personally, I’m fine with it. I could take it or leave it, is what I mean. But this is why test driving before buying is so important.

To me, it’s way better than Porsche charging you $500 for fake noises. To each their own. But at least with fake noises you have the option to turn it off? So there’s that.

It is definitely intentional, and definitely not synthesized. The original Tesla roadster had a similar motor whine. In fact, that whine was the sound sample used for the Batmobile. I happen to love it, but can understand why someone wouldn’t!

I don’t even notice the whine after a few minutes of driving and jammin out.

I don’t notice it much lately. But when I pulled up to my brother’s driveway, my little kids nephews came out saying, “space ship is landed”. It doe sound as it is from out of space from exterior sound.

I don’t even notice the whine after a few minutes of driving and jammin out.
I notice it more after driving my wife's EQS.

I notice it more after driving my wife's EQS.
Maybe Lucid should learn from BMW subscription base model. Give us $10 a month, we will let you toggle on/off that sound. 😆

Other car companies have figured out how to get rid of the motor whine. It should be a predictable sound based upon m how fast the engine is going. I would imagine they could remove it with software if they wanted.

I also doubt it was a feature though. I suspect that reason for Tesla had the motor whine was the same. They didn’t know how to fully silence it early either.

I would be surprised if the next generation Air has that sound.

Back