Will Lucid take Cosmos reservations?

Good data. Yes, it is off topic RE: Cosmo Reservation.

I suspect then 400V choice is a cost (vs. benefit) consideration. Sometime Cosmo has to face as well.
(This is definitely off topic, but since you’ve written it this way a few times, I’d like to politely point out the name of the model is Cosmos, not Cosmo <3)
 
I'd like to point out a couple things to all of you who seem to imply Lucid doesn't know anything about how to launch a new car. First of all, Lucid has the experience of launching two cars--and learning from the many mistakes that were made along the way (my guess is this was behind most, if not all, of the personnel changes at the company). Second, they already know a TON about the market for this car. They will have already done all kinds of market research, including focus groups with people who are shown prototypes and features of the new car(s?). They undoubtedly have a plan for the launch, that depends heavily on their ability to produce solid hardware and software--and also their ability to produce the car in volume. The launch is moving forward along may fronts--we're just not privy to the details.
Point taken that this is not Lucid’s first rodeo. But if they whiffed on the Air and Gravity launches - for various reasons - and then fired the teams that contributed to those mistakes, why would we believe that someone there is actually running the show that knows what they’re doing? I’m not convinced Lucid is going to position a persona and brand for Lucid properly for mass market adoption. I have yet to see a marketing campaign that would establish that brand to appeal to those customers. Timothy Chalamet and NBA stars is not it. Has anyone seen anything else?

I don’t doubt that they’ve done focus groups but like you said, will they actually listen to them?

Let’s imagine Lucid 100% nails the HW/SW/design and service needs for Cosmos. Let’s say it’s a superlative offering on all those fronts. They still need to get the mass market to even know who Lucid is. Very few people in the mass market category know who Lucid is or what cars they sell, and they definitely don’t know how Lucid stands out from the crowd.

Rivian built a great brand but now is trying to outcompete Model Y. Think about the massive marketing they’ve done to get excitement around the R2. My guess is somewhere between Rivian and Lucid marketing is the sweet spot.
 
There is no debate that 800Vis the future. According to an AI search, only 1.5% of US commercial chargers are natively 800V.

It is a fair question to pose RE: why did the R2 stay with 400V. I suspect it is cost driven and R2's 400V architecture still has decent specs.

Rivian's R2 Charging Specifications & Metrics at a Glance (per AI search)
  • Architecture: 400V system
  • Battery Capacity: 87.4 kWh (Net) / 94 kWh (Gross)
  • Peak Charging Power: 200 kW - 240 kW (depending on the specific charger/BMS refinement)
  • 10% to 80% Charge Time: Under 30 minutes
  • Range Added: Up to 150 miles of range in about 15 minutes
Again, this is an American-centric perspective. Rivian R2 and Lucid Cosmos are meant to take up the competition on an international scale. On that end, Europe, for example, is adopting 800V chargers and developing chargers beyond that. With Chinese EVs being exported to Europe (and now including Canada), alongside charging stations that will accommodate the higher voltage chargers coming out of China, consumers are more likely to take into account battery voltage.

So a 400V versus 800V may not matter much to an American. But it will for a European, a Canadian, and the other markets where Chinese EVs are being sold.
 
Again, this is an American-centric perspective. Rivian R2 and Lucid Cosmos are meant to take up the competition on an international scale. On that end, Europe, for example, is adopting 800V chargers and developing chargers beyond that. With Chinese EVs being exported to Europe (and now including Canada), alongside charging stations that will accommodate the higher voltage chargers coming out of China, consumers are more likely to take into account battery voltage.

So a 400V versus 800V may not matter much to an American. But it will for a European, a Canadian, and the other markets where Chinese EVs are being sold.
Let's not forget, the R2 is a mass-market targeted vehicle. If you normalize the R2's charging curve vs Air and Gravity, I'd think (I haven't done the work yet) Gravity would be best, but R2 beats the Air (in charging curve). My take is, R2 stayed with 400V for cost reasons. Most mid-size buyers care about how fast it charges (miles gain per min), how long to get to 70%) but not the voltage.

In terms of EV penetration (of the vehicle market), China is beating the US hands down. The short-sighted oil-centric US policies has seriously compromised the US-EV position. Until now, for all intents and purposes, Lucid's only real market is the US.

The Europeans embrace EVs much more than the US. In China, it is a national quest.

Let's not forget that Tesla (Musk) and Warren Buffet (BYD) were key players in the early days of China EVs.
 
Let's not forget, the R2 is a mass-market targeted vehicle. If you normalize the R2's charging curve vs Air and Gravity, I'd think (I haven't done the work yet) Gravity would be best, but R2 beats the Air (in charging curve). My take is, R2 stayed with 400V for cost reasons. Most mid-size buyers care about how fast it charges (miles gain per min), how long to get to 70%) but not the voltage.

In terms of EV penetration (of the vehicle market), China is beating the US hands down. The short-sighted oil-centric US policies has seriously compromised the US-EV position. Until now, for all intents and purposes, Lucid's only real market is the US.

The Europeans embrace EVs much more than the US. In China, it is a national quest.

Let's not forget that Tesla (Musk) and Warren Buffet (BYD) were key players in the early days of China EVs.
And voltage plays a role in how fast it can charge, and we have yet to see how fast the Cosmos charges. This charging curve will be different once you factor in the international market's higher voltages.
 
I don't really understand the perspective that Lucid's marketing or brand identity is bad. Air sells very well for its type of vehicle. Gravity generated intense excitement, and I don't know that we'd be having this conversation if the launch wasn't marred by engineering problems. I really don't think marketing or brand is Gravity's problem, and I don't see any current reason to worry about lackluster marketing for Cosmos. I'd worry a lot more about engineering and production, and being able to launch before there's too much competition that matches or exceeds what Lucid engineering can deliver.
It’s not bad for high end luxury EV buyers. It’s practically non-existent for mass market buyers. All the engineering and production success in the world won’t solve an utter lack of awareness that lucid even makes a $50k car.
 
And voltage plays a role in how fast it can charge, and we have yet to see how fast the Cosmos charges. This charging curve will be different once you factor in the international market's higher voltages.
Not under-estimating how fast Cosmos (thanks @borski) might charge. Please remember this is a mid-market product selling @$45k to $55k. And there are few native 800V charge stations around in the today. In my opinion, it is not a technology issue per se. I am sure Rivian know how to do an 800V R2, but they chose not to. Spending extra $ to future-proof a mid-size might not be the right (economic) choice! +
 
It’s not bad for high end luxury EV buyers. It’s practically non-existent for mass market buyers. All the engineering and production success in the world won’t solve an utter lack of awareness that lucid even makes a $50k car.
I think that Cosmos' introduction will see a lot of interest from EV journalists/influencers. Hoping Lucid has set aside a hefty ad budget.
 
Not under-estimating how fast Cosmos (thanks @borski) might charge. Please remember this is a mid-market product selling @$45k to $55k. And there are few native 800V charge stations around in the today. In my opinion, it is not a technology issue per se. I am sure Rivian know how to do an 800V R2, but they chose not to. Spending extra $ to future-proof a mid-size might not be the right (economic) choice! +
It will when consumers are facing that choice.

I'm Canadian. Up north we're excited for the Chinese EVs to arrive, so you can bet we'll be paying close attention to voltages.
 
...I'm Canadian. Up north we're excited for the Chinese EVs to arrive, so you can bet we'll be paying close attention to voltages.
I'm curious how well Lucid and existing EV makers could compete against Chinese imports if there were no import volume restrictions at all. Seems difficult.
 
I'm curious how well Lucid and existing EV makers could compete against Chinese imports if there were no import volume restrictions at all. Seems difficult.
Given that Cory Steuben has stated they've benchmarked against Chinese EVs as well, I'd like to think Lucid thought of that well ahead of time. Especially since they're expanding their presence in Europe. They'll need to prove they've got what it takes to compete against Chinese EVs
 
It’s not bad for high end luxury EV buyers. It’s practically non-existent for mass market buyers. All the engineering and production success in the world won’t solve an utter lack of awareness that lucid even makes a $50k car.
Fair enough. But I'll point out that Lucid is a seller of high end luxury EVs today, so I don't know that they've screwed anything up. They do need to pivot and establish more awareness in the new market they'll be targeting with the next three vehicles. But I'm not convinced that it's a good use of their resources to be trying to do that at this time. Obviously we have examples of companies hyping cars well ahead of time. But do we have any evidence that such hype is effective at selling more vehicles?

Probably no one should listen to my opinions on this. I'm grateful I've never worked in marketing.
 
Given that Cory Steuben has stated they've benchmarked against Chinese EVs as well, I'd like to think Lucid thought that well ahead of time. Especially since they're expanding their presence in Europe. They'll need to prove they've got what it takes to compete against Chinese EVs
I'm curious how well Lucid and existing EV makers could compete against Chinese imports if there were no import volume restrictions at all. Seems difficult.
As I understand it:

> until recently (a couple of months ago), US-Canada's Auto-Pact (not sure if it is/was part of the 50+ year Auto-Pact) either disallows the importation of Chinese autos into N America or to block such imports with hefty duty.
> as Trump monkeys around with the Auto-Pact with Canada, Canada now allows Chinese EVs to enter the Canadian market, albeit at a relatively low quota. But it will enable the Chinese to establish a beachhead and expand from there. BYD, as you know, is the biggest EV player. An ominous sign for the North American auto industry!
 
As I understand it:

> until recently (a couple of months ago), US-Canada's Auto-Pact (not sure if it is/was part of the 50+ year Auto-Pact) either disallows the importation of Chinese autos into N America or to block such imports with hefty duty.
> as Trump monkeys around with the Auto-Pact with Canada, Canada now allows Chinese EVs to enter the Canadian market, albeit at a relatively low quota. But it will enable the Chinese to establish a beachhead and expand from there. BYD, as you know, is the biggest EV player. An ominous sign for the North American auto industry!
Yes, and on top of that BYD are currently in negotiations to use Canadian labour as part of their rollout here in Canada. They're also studying the possibility of opening a plant in Canada.
And that will change Lucid's competitive stance (and to a greater extent, US auto companies) with Canadian buyers.
 
Last edited:
I don't think this is true.
AI says, native 800V public chargers is approx 1.5% of the total. I don't know if that's correct. If you have different data, share them.
 
There are few native 920V Tesla Supercharging locations in the USA today.
Nearly all other DC fast charging stations are 920V capable. It's been the standard for over a decade.
AI is currently the fastest way to an incorrect answer.
That being so, does that mean any EV can be designed to charge at 800+ volts without having the added encumbrance of added circuitry to boost the voltages internally?

What percentage of chargers are actually, natively 920V capable?
 
Point taken that this is not Lucid’s first rodeo. But if they whiffed on the Air and Gravity launches - for various reasons - and then fired the teams that contributed to those mistakes, why would we believe that someone there is actually running the show that knows what they’re doing? I’m not convinced Lucid is going to position a persona and brand for Lucid properly for mass market adoption. I have yet to see a marketing campaign that would establish that brand to appeal to those customers. Timothy Chalamet and NBA stars is not it. Has anyone seen anything else?

I don’t doubt that they’ve done focus groups but like you said, will they actually listen to them?

Let’s imagine Lucid 100% nails the HW/SW/design and service needs for Cosmos. Let’s say it’s a superlative offering on all those fronts. They still need to get the mass market to even know who Lucid is. Very few people in the mass market category know who Lucid is or what cars they sell, and they definitely don’t know how Lucid stands out from the crowd.

Rivian built a great brand but now is trying to outcompete Model Y. Think about the massive marketing they’ve done to get excitement around the R2. My guess is somewhere between Rivian and Lucid marketing is the sweet spot.
I've observed several hundred focus groups in my career, and I can't really think of an instance where senior management hasn't paid attention to a well constructed, well conveyed focus group. It is pretty sobering to listen to a group of people rip your product to shreds. No one ignores that.

Lucid's marketing team/agency is well into planning the launch at this point. They pretty much know what they are going to do, and when they are going to do it. They also know the pitfalls of pulling the trigger too early. I think they got caught doing this with the Gravity. I wouldn't be surprised if senior mgmt overruled the marketing team on the sequence of the rollout, but that is just 100% conjecture.
 
That being so, does that mean any EV can be designed to charge at 800+ volts without having the added encumbrance of added circuitry to boost the voltages internally?

What percentage of chargers are actually, natively 920V capable?
Practically all DC fast charging stations in the USA are 920V capable other than Tesla superchargers. A 400V DC fast charging station would limit the Air to 47kW charging. I've never run across one, and have never heard someone in this forum complaining of plugging an Air into a CCS station and getting only 47kW.

I don't know the percentage, I'll leave that up to you to find.
 
Last edited:
I would argue that Lucid does not have a brand identity. Lucid has some brand awareness which is why sales are good but that is a lot different than a brand identity. What does Luicd stand for as a brand? While "compromise nothing" is a great tag line, it is not brand identity since all cars are a compromise between size, performance, range, price, etc. Timothy Chalamet is not brand identity ignoring whether his ads have improved brand awareness/sales or not. Some of Lucid's investor material speak of sustainable transportation for the future. I am not even sure what this means and it is even less likely to be something that a majority of customers value in a car purchase. What does the Lucid brand stand for? I have been closely following Lucid since 2019 and I don't know. New potential customers are even less likely to know.

As a comparison, the Rivian brand stands for outdoor adventure. Rivian has done a very good job in promoting both brand identity and brand awareness. Much better than Lucid in that respect.
I think their brand identity is eminently practical cars that strive to have class leading engineering on every front, whether it be range, driving dynamics, packaging, or anything else. For all that it's problematic, the whole "no compromises" slogan actually does a decent job of capturing what their vehicles go for, and it's why I'm hanging out here. When I did my Gravity test drive, a Porsche driving (ICE) friend tagged along, and immediately understood the appeal.
 
Back
Top