Will 240v 50 amp Tesla charger w 14-50 work?

The plug will be different since it’s a Tesla. Will need an adapter:

but otherwise yes.

I have a 240v 50 amp Tesla charger w a 14-50 adapter. Will that work for Air GT or do I need something different?
I am using the TeslaTap MINI 80 (http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=160). It's good to 80A. They also have a 40A version. It's small and easy use, although a bit tight on the Tesla connector. The also make a larger cable version for much cheaper.

Here is a picture of the MINI 80 connected to the Tesla cable "charging":
tempImager65Dy2.png

I have to remember to buy one of those soon.
I bough one before I took delivery of the car to verify it works. I tried it on my wife's plug-in BMW. Currently I've seen a maximum of 16kW charging with it (I have an 80A, 19.2KW charger). I was charging to 80% and started at 78%.

I have a 240v, 60 amp outlet attached to my Tesla charger, which, of course, tops out at 48 amp. Just to be sure. I should order the 60 amp Tesla Mini?

I bough one before I took delivery of the car to verify it works. I tried it on my wife's plug-in BMW. Currently I've seen a maximum of 16kW charging with it (I have an 80A, 19.2KW charger). I was charging to 80% and started at 78%.
Do they ever go out of stock fast? Or can we wait on buying them? given I'm probably gonna use EA for a lot of charging!

I have a 240v, 60 amp outlet attached to my Tesla charger, which, of course, tops out at 48 amp. Just to be sure. I should order the 60 amp Tesla Mini?
I doubt anyone here has actually tried that exact situation, but if the Tesla Mini adapater does what it says it does, it should translate the max amperage (48A) communicated by the Tesla wall box into the J1772 standard protocol, and the Lucid should recognize it can charge at 48A.

So yes, if you want to charge the Lucid at the full 48A get the 60A Tesla Mini. For $60 less you could get the 40A and charge at 40A instead of 48A.

I doubt anyone here has actually tried that exact situation, but if the Tesla Mini adapater does what it says it does, it should translate the max amperage (48A) communicated by the Tesla wall box into the J1772 standard protocol, and the Lucid should recognize it can charge at 48A.

So yes, if you want to charge the Lucid at the full 48A get the 60A Tesla Mini. For $60 less you could get the 40A and charge at 40A instead of 48A.
The Tesla mini adapters do not do any J1772 protocol manipulation - they just convert the pins. They just pass the signal straight through. They may have some passive components for the Pilot signal so they can work on a variety of Tesla EVSEs. So I believe getting a 40A mini would not be a good idea hooking up to 48A, because the Tesla EVSEs pilot signal would advertise 48A.

I would
I would get the 60 amp TeslaTap mini adaptor. That way you are covered for the amperage. Of course the Lucid can accept 80 amps so if you are on a trip and there is an 80amp destination charger, a 60 amp TeslaTap mini would be underpowered and may malfunction. there is an 80amp version.

Do I think I'll get the 80 amp. But just to be sure. An 80 amp will not harm a 48 amp connection?
The 80 amp TeslaTap mini will not harm anything, but rather gives you a margin of safety. If you are just going to leave it on the home Tesla charger that delivers 48 amps, go for a 60 amp one because it is cheaper. However, if you are taking it with you to use at Tesla destination chargers while traveling, it would be safer to have the 80 amp one. Not that you will plug into many, if any Tesla destination chargers capable of delivering 80 amps, but if you do, you will want a TeslaTap that is rated for it.

Do I think I'll get the 80 amp. But just to be sure. An 80 amp will not harm a 48 amp connection?
Correct. The 80A mini will allow you to use any connection up to 80A.

The Tesla mini adapters do not do any J1772 protocol manipulation - they just convert the pins. They just pass the signal straight through. They may have some passive components for the Pilot signal so they can work on a variety of Tesla EVSEs. So I believe getting a 40A mini would not be a good idea hooking up to 48A, because the Tesla EVSEs pilot signal would advertise 48A.
Thanks, I didn't know it was passive. In that case, yes, you should definitely get at least the 60A, and as Sandvinsd says the 80A if you think you might ever use it on a destination EVSE that supports 80A. It seems safest to buy the converter that supports the max the car can draw (80A for the Lucid) unless it’s going to stay in a single location. I have the 80A myself for use during travel.

I have the Tesla Wall Connector Gen 2 on a 90A circuit. It appears the 80A (72A charging) adapter would work great.

However, the charger is on the left rear side of the garage, which is perfect of for the left rear charging port on the Tesla. However, it appears the charging port on the Lucid is near the front.

Any recommendations to overcome the physical challenges? The tesla charging cable is fairly short.

I have the Tesla Wall Connector Gen 2 on a 90A circuit. It appears the 80A (72A charging) adapter would work great.

However, the charger is on the left rear side of the garage, which is perfect of for the left rear charging port on the Tesla. However, it appears the charging port on the Lucid is near the front.

Any recommendations to overcome the physical challenges? The tesla charging cable is fairly short.
I got the longer Tesla cable. And while I back my Tesla in, I will have to pull straight in with the Lucid

Anybody know (when) Tesla opens their supercharger network to all, how one would charge/connect?

Electrek has reported that in the US, this will be done via an adapter, available at the Supercharger site, that will allow the supercharger cable to plug into the standard CCS connectors in US EVs. So you won't need any additional adapter beyond what Tesla will provide onsite.

It appears there are some J1772 extension cables and Tesla extension cables available. Finding a ~10' 80A one in stock appears to be a challenge.

Back