Wife Got Carsick!

Jay

Cars
BMW 428, Pure...soon
Yesterday we test drove an Air at the Palm Beach Lucid Showroom. The drive was 1 1/2 hours long and my wife and I both got to drive extensively and mainly in stop and go traffic. She told me the regeneration feeling somehow made her nausous and carsick! That strong regen is very different from what we've experienced in our various ICE cars. (In my standard trans cars I often coast...) Has anyone else had this reaction?

The degree of regeneration varies from mode to mode. It is least on "Swift" setting. During my test drive, I felt exactly the same way and we moved it to Swift and it felt a lot better, i,e. like an ICE car. Now, 3,000 miles later, I leave it on the highest level of regen because I've gotten really used to one pedal driving. You pretty much never need to use the brakes unless it's a panic maneuver. It does take a little getting used to in order to not be lurchy with your driving but you will.

Thanks, Bobby. BTW, the person who accompanied us checked when we would be able to place our order within the 30 day window. Looks like a coupla weeks from now for our Pure and they're talking Q1 delivery. Interesting that my wife may want to upgrade to the awd version (but retaining the extra rear legroom of the 18 cell battery.) The car 'speaks' to us on an emotional level...

Yesterday we test drove an Air at the Palm Beach Lucid Showroom. The drive was 1 1/2 hours long and my wife and I both got to drive extensively and mainly in stop and go traffic. She told me the regeneration feeling somehow made her nausous and carsick! That strong regen is very different from what we've experienced in our various ICE cars. (In my standard trans cars I often coast...) Has anyone else had this reaction?
Ah, I promise you and her will be able to adjust your driving technique to fit the regen and she’ll be ok. My wife is literally the most motion-sick prone person I’ve known, when we went to Japan she was sick from the flight for 48 solid hours after, could barely leave the hotel and could barely eat without the spins and puking. Now she can ride in the back seat of the lucid when I drive without complaining, and she gets motion sick in the back seat of any other car.

Some people love regen as it reminds them flying when the plain slows down for landing.

Some might get nauseated or discomforts. In that case, let them drive. When they are in control, some how all those discomforts seem to disappear.

Ah, I promise you and her will be able to adjust your driving technique to fit the regen and she’ll be ok. My wife is literally the most motion-sick prone person I’ve known, when we went to Japan she was sick from the flight for 48 solid hours after, could barely leave the hotel and could barely eat without the spins and puking. Now she can ride in the back seat of the lucid when I drive without complaining, and she gets motion sick in the back seat of any other car.
Maybe one day you will let her ride up front!

Makes completely sense. Stop and go is the worst and braking sort of hard is the very worst. Acceleration isnt as bad. Regen is sort of significant braking. I extremely easily get motion sick -- car, ship, plane, bus, train, canoe, etc. I fly ~25 times per year and take prescribed medication every time. The first few months with nissan cvt, i got motion sick while driving but finally learned not to. I havent experienced this with lucid regen or otherwise. The more im exposed to motion, the less sick i get. If i were to fly three times a week for months, i would finally learn not get sick, however, after a month without flying itd come back. Therere special training/exercises to do to learn how not to get motion sick.

I test drove the GT and I got carsick myself.. I'm even the driver who got carsick from his own driving! Once you get used to the regenerative breaking and Air's power you'll drive smoother over time. In the meantime, have a barfbag ready. And double check that wife was really sick from car.. could be *cough cough* something else like.. you know

If you are new to one pedal driving it takes a bit to get adjusted to it but slowly removing the foot will gradually brake and you will not have that feeling.

Yeah I think it’s just a breaking in of one pedal driving I used to disable regen braking then noticed my range would go down. So slowly I turned it back on and then eventually get used to it. You have to keep using it and adapt to it.

+1 What blueice said.

I used to hate cars with regen now it feels no different as I got used to managing deceleration. It’s smooth driving as usual.

I have a Tesla MY, no problems with car sickness. In my Air Touring, everyone is car sick all the time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have a Tesla MY, no problems with car sickness. In my Air Touring, everyone is car sick all the time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That’s interesting I wonder why that is .. basically it’s the same type of mechanics for stop and go.
Usually this is tied to regen braking. How do you feel the regen braking is compared to Touring vs Model Y?

That’s interesting I wonder why that is .. basically it’s the same type of mechanics for stop and go.
Usually this is tied to regen braking. How do you feel the regen braking is compared to Touring vs Model Y?
I feel that Model Y breaks harder on the regen breaking than the Touring. After driving the Model Y all week, and getting in the Touring on the weekend I find myself needing to apply the break, because I am used to the Model Y stopping in a shorter distance. I keep the Lucid on Smooth, trying to match my Model Y breaking distance the closest.

I think it's has to do with the smooth suspension of the Touring, combined with the regenerative breaking, vs the sportier feel of the Model Y suspension, but of course I could be wrong.

But I do find myself using the Model Y more if I have passengers, because I get complaints about motion sickness from my wife and both of my adult kids in the Lucid. Very strange.

Smoothness on all of the controls is the best way for me to avoid carsick passengers. When slowing down, I ease off gradually on the accelerator rather than just taking my foot off; when speeding up, I do so gradually as well. But I've been driving that way for years.

I feel that Model Y breaks harder on the regen breaking than the Touring. After driving the Model Y all week, and getting in the Touring on the weekend I find myself needing to apply the break, because I am used to the Model Y stopping in a shorter distance. I keep the Lucid on Smooth, trying to match my Model Y breaking distance the closest.

I think it's has to do with the smooth suspension of the Touring, combined with the regenerative breaking, vs the sportier feel of the Model Y suspension, but of course I could be wrong.

But I do find myself using the Model Y more if I have passengers, because I get complaints about motion sickness from my wife and both of my adult kids in the Lucid. Very strange.
Do you have the Lucid set to high regen or standard? Most everyone has said the Air on High regen setting is stronger than Tesla vehicles.

Smoothness on all of the controls is the best way for me to avoid carsick passengers. When slowing down, I ease off gradually on the accelerator rather than just taking my foot off; when speeding up, I do so gradually as well. But I've been driving that way for years.
And that's also the best way to achieve greater efficiency & range.

Back