Who needs a limited warranty anyways?!

Isaac Bair

Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
DE Number
IMG_9528.png

Nice. I wonder if Lucid will offer an extended warranty. Would you buy one?

I would!

I don't buy warranties on cheap products like my $15 digital Casio watch. If it broke, I would not pay $50 just to get a diagnosis; I would pay another $15 to get a new one.

On the other hand, I do buy warranties on expensive products, just like insurance, for peace of mind and not necessarily about profits. My house hasn't been burned or flooded... so all that insurance money goes down the drain, but I am fine with it.

I bought the extended warranty for my 2012 Tesla Model S, which paid for itself handsomely. The post-warranty repairs would cost much more, about $10,000, than the premium. Today's repair costs have gone down a lot but I would still be ahead.

I bought the extended warranty for my 2017 Tesla Model X, which has not paid itself because, so far, the post-warranty repairs are still about $500 cheaper than the premium.

I couldn't buy one for my 2018 Tesla Model 3 because it's not offered. I sold it before any post-warranty repairs.

I did buy a third-party extended warranty for my 2022 Lucid Air Grand Touring because Lucid didn't offer one.

Who is writing third party extended warranties on airs?
I bought it from a dude named @XCare EV from this link in this forum, but the post is gone. It's kind of fishy! That's where I got the $100 discount code.

1706124888023.png

You can go directly to the website instead of that post:

The web quote does not include the discount code. You must speak to a human on the phone to get $100 off with a discount code.

Last edited:
I bought it from a dude named @XCare EV from this link in this forum, but the post is gone. It's kind of fishy! That's where I got the $100 discount code.

View attachment 17874

You can go directly to the website instead of that post:

The web quote does not include the discount code. You must speak to a human on the phone to get $100 off with a discount code.
Their posts were removed as they are not supporting vendors and didn’t contribute to the forum in any meaningful way other than advertising. I’m certain we’d be happy to welcome them back as a supporting vendor, same as our other wonderful supporting vendors.

Shouldn’t be taken as a commentary on the quality of their product - I don’t think any of us have used it yet.

(and before anyone gets on my case, none of us have ever seen a dollar from this forum, to my knowledge)

Congratulations on 50k miles! I've been wondering how the Lucid GTs will hold up long term. How is he car holding up? Anything wearing prematurely? Creaks and rattles appearing? What has your repair history been? Thank you!

Back