Wheel Diameters?

terrycs

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT-P
Referral Code
Q09BGD5G
Does anyone here know or venture to guess why the Sapphire has 20" wheels in the front and 21" wheels in the back? Why wouldn't they go with either 20" all around or 21" all around?

Does anyone here know or venture to guess why the Sapphire has 20" wheels in the front and 21" wheels in the back? Why wouldn't they go with either 20" all around or 21" all around?
I'm not sure exactly why they did it, but aren't staggered rims relatively common in the performance car sphere?

I'm not sure exactly why they did it, but aren't staggered rims relatively common in the performance car sphere?
Sure .. staggard is very common. The Sapphire happens to be both staggard AND different wheel diameters. I've seen different wheel diameters on some hyper cars, but I'm guessing there is more to it than just aesthetics?

I'm no physicist, but this article might help to understand the distribution of weight and acceleration force.

I'm no physicist, but this article might help to understand the distribution of weight and acceleration force.

Thanks for citing the article. After reviewing it, it seemed the author is confusing wheel diameter with tread width. Having wider wheels/tires in the back makes sense and many cars have staggard wheel fitments with the wider tread (not bigger wheel diameter) in back for the reasons cited in the article.

We know rolling diameters of the complete wheel/tire assemblies are very close between 265/35/20 vs 265/35/21 in the front ... and the tread width of 265mm are identical between the two. So I'm still left wondering why chose 265/35/20 vs 265/35/21 for the front tire size on the Sapphire?

All my past cars have had staggard fitments so as I contemplate aftermarket wheels for my GT-P, I wonder if I should stay with 21" diameters front and rear or consider 20" diameter front wheels in front combined with 21" diameter wheels in back as used on the Sapphire.

Here's what I discovered today while I was doing some test fitting for a customer with Signature SV104 20x10 ET40. The inner barrel has only about 1mm of clearance from the bracket located on the struts. (see second pic). Assuming the suspension on the Sapphire setup is the same as the regular Lucid, with a rear 20x10.5 ET45.5, it will not clear the inner struts. However, with 21", the inner lip becomes taller, which avoiding that area and becoming clearable. Maybe that's the reason why Lucid went with 21" rear on the Sapphire.

451844913_1685157338992816_2296487171211390303_n.jpg

Screenshot 2024-07-22 201955.png

Back