What is the latest adapter I should buy to be able to charge at a Tesla Charger while on a road trip ?

Charley

Cars
RivianR1T, Sapphire
DE Number
Is there one that works and if so which one should I buy ? (EE America reliability anxiety)

Is there one that works and if so which one should I buy ? (EE America reliability anxiety)
There is no adapter that works at Tesla SuperChargers except the magic dock that is built into a few locations which are the only locations that you can use for DC fast charging. If you are talking about level 2 destination charging, there are many threads on adapters. The TeslaTap seems to be a good choice. Please search for those threads.

You can only use Tesla destination chargers with an adapter. Personally, I use the 80 amp Tesla Tap for this purpose.

You can also use Tesla Superchargers which are equipped with MagicDock.

I use the 80 amp Tesla Tap for this purpose.
I bought this one when I first got my car but haven't had a chance to use it yet. At the time, someone complained about the fit being a little tight and they got it stuck one time. I think they had to file it down. Anyone know if that was common with the units or just one slightly off unit? I know I will want to use it at some point but have always had that worry in the back of my mind.

I bought this one when I first got my car but haven't had a chance to use it yet. At the time, someone complained about the fit being a little tight and they got it stuck one time. I think they had to file it down. Anyone know if that was common with the units or just one slightly off unit? I know I will want to use it at some point but have always had that worry in the back of my mind.
I think that was @Bunnylebowski but I've used mine a handful of times with no issue. When I got mine I tested it in my car and on my brother in laws Tesla charger to see the fitment before I roadtripped with it.

I’ve used mine many times without issue.

Thanks everyone. I just ordered a Tesla Tap.

One last stupid question as I always charge at home. At a level 2 charger is it simply swipe a credit card or do I need to have some type of account ?

One last stupid question as I always charge at home. At a level 2 charger is it simply swipe a credit card or do I need to have some type of account ?
Depends on the charger. Most require an account of some kind with that company.

Download PlugShare to research chargers in the areas you will be traveling. Chargepoint are probably the most popular Level 2 chargers

some destination chargers plugs get a little beaten up by dropping etc.. fit can be tight, but I sometimes need to use edge of destination charger or post to leverage it off... only has to do with the wear and tear on their end... my 80a version works fine many times... originally purchased so I could use my Tesla wall unit at home until I swapped it for Lucid version. (hopefully will hove car to home support soon)

Thanks. I have a Chargepoint charger at home and have the app. Just downloaded Plugshare.

Yeah it was mine that got stuck, I think it was due to a defect with it not fully unlocking from the Lucid. The plastic cover for the ground pin literally broke off inside my car, and TeslaTap refused to refund my $ and instead sent me another refurbished one which I haven’t tried to use. Luckily I was able to remove the broken TeslaTap plastic from my chargeport with needle nose pliers, but Lucid told me if it did damage the charging port that’s not covered under warranty, which is reasonable. Some people interpreted that as voiding the warranty for the car, which is not true, only for what would need to be replaced due to the damage caused by the adapter. If however the charge port/Wunderbox/HV battery are replaced as a unit (I don’t know, are they?), that would be an expensive ass repair. So my plan is only to use the TeslaTap if zero other options are available.

Back