what are you watching right now?

Oppenheimer. I still can't believe that watching a 3-hour movie that is mostly talking keeps me riveted. I saw it in IMAX months ago, but picked up things I missed the first time through.
Couldn't wait to see this but could only get seats in front row at I Max. Don't bother to go to the I Max. Ordered the Blue Ray so I can parse the movie on my own time. Big fan of reading about the nuclear program...have read most of the books. Recommend "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Rhodes. The physics and engineering are amazing, but the characters are the story. What a bunch of kooks!
Also, if you are into the nuttyness of atomic physics: anything Feynman re: "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" Also, if you get a chance to see ANY of Dr. Feynman's lectures = do so! The man has a lecture on " e " that will make you think you understand math. Highly recommended.

Example of their silliness: At a conference of physicists Neils Bohr was giving a talk. He walks to the podium--an imposing figure, Nobel Prize winner, father of the atomic model, etc., is wearing a child's toy holster and pistol. He begins his lecture. Suddenly someone in the audience jumps up and pulls a toy pistol. Bohr draws on him. The point was to prove that an involuntary reaction is quicker than a premeditated action. That's the kind of people they are. It must have been pure joy to work with them. Imagine the conversation that led to this "experiment"....

Also, if you are into the nuttyness of atomic physics: anything Feynman re: "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" Also, if you get a chance to see ANY of Dr. Feynman's lectures = do so! The man has a lecture on " e " that will make you think you understand math. Highly recommended.
Richard Feynman is one of my heroes. He inspired me immensely. A true hacker, always.

isle of dogs (2018)
81U1NrOUqLL.jpg

Back