Well, here's a twist . . .

I imagine you could find articles similar to this about folks who sold horse drawn wagons when ICE vehicles were first introduced. We are the revolution.

I mean, it’s Wyoming. They have about 12 citizens. How much are they contributing to global warming, anyway?

All kidding aside, moves like this are so epically dumb. Once ICE cars can’t be sold in California, it’s game over. Companies will not keep producing ICE cars for a few holdout states where they sell a handful of cars a year. So now Wyoming citizens will have to come over the border to Colorado to buy an electric car. And then have nowhere to charge it.

Wyoming legislators are attempting to pass a resolution banning the sale of EVs in Wyoming by 2035 as a show of support for the oil & gas industry:

This would be humorous news but then a whole litany of similarly run states will probably race to outdo the “equality state” in “support” of the oil and gas industry. The world is definitely laughing

Wyoming legislators are attempting to pass a resolution banning the sale of EVs in Wyoming by 2035 as a show of support for the oil & gas industry:

So much for "capitalism" and "letting the market decide". The Government will tell you what you want. Sounds like they are they own worst dystopian nightmares.

Not trying to defend their actions but… I do believe they are acting on behalf of their constituents. Their response is silly (to me) but I truly believe they think they are acting in their best interests to protect jobs. Instead of learning to pivot, and focus on the future, they are defaulting to what they know. Which is blue collar work that keeps food on the table for their 600,000 residents. Jobs can be found installing solar or building EV infrastructure or building windmills. A proper bill would mandate jobs be create to support an ever growing need for electricity. That would be looking to the future and not trying to prop up the past.

Not trying to defend their actions but… I do believe they are acting on behalf of their constituents. Their response is silly (to me) but I truly believe they think they are acting in their best interests to protect jobs. Instead of learning to pivot, and focus on the future, they are defaulting to what they know. Which is blue collar work that keeps food on the table for their 600,000 residents. Jobs can be found installing solar or building EV infrastructure or building windmills. A proper bill would mandate jobs be create to support an ever growing need for electricity. That would be looking to the future and not trying to prop up the past.

This is what I find so interesting about Saudi Arabia, a country still socio-politically in the Middle Ages that has nevertheless become a global economic and political power by dint of its oil production. (Check out Jared Diamond's Pulitzer-prize-winning book "Guns, Germs and Steel" if you want an interesting historical analysis of this phenomenon. His argument is basically that the oil kingdoms were able to purchase global relevance with oil revenues instead of having to acquire that relevance through the development of science, public education, and social development that were the path of developed nations.)

Despite a dependence on oil production that far, far exceeds the U.S. reliance on it, the Saudis are facing into the inevitable decline of the global oil economy and rapidly investing massively in other industries. It's why Musk turned to the Saudis to take Tesla private in 2017 (but for his brash missteps) and why Lucid instead got that money to bring the Air to production.

One of the great ironies of this era is that the U.S., that once led the world's exploration of new technologies in all fields, now seems hell-bent in some quarters to turn back and to pass that lead over to other countries.

So much for "capitalism" and "letting the market decide". The Government will tell you what you want. Sounds like they are they own worst dystopian nightmares.
Are the Fed and State subsidies "free market" initiatives?

We have to protect those poor buggy-whip manufacturers!

This would be humorous news but then a whole litany of similarly run states will probably race to outdo the “equality state” in “support” of the oil and gas industry. The world is definitely laughing
The developed world---not to mention (and especially) emerging countries--will depend on fossil fuels for decades to come.

And the more they insist on banning nuclear energy (head scratch) the more they prolong dependence on oil, nat gas, etc

Fundamental economics/demographics

Not trying to defend their actions but… I do believe they are acting on behalf of their constituents. Their response is silly (to me) but I truly believe they think they are acting in their best interests to protect jobs.
I dunno…

The resolution’s sponsor, Sen. Jim Anderson, R-Casper, told Cowboy State Daily the intention of the proposal, titled “Phasing Out New Electric Vehicle Sales By 2035,” is to push back against bans on new sales of cars with internal combustion engines in states like California and New York.

“The Legislature would be saying, ‘If you don’t like our petroleum cars, well, we don’t like your electric cars,’” Anderson said.

I dunno…

The resolution’s sponsor, Sen. Jim Anderson, R-Casper, told Cowboy State Daily the intention of the proposal, titled “Phasing Out New Electric Vehicle Sales By 2035,” is to push back against bans on new sales of cars with internal combustion engines in states like California and New York.

“The Legislature would be saying, ‘If you don’t like our petroleum cars, well, we don’t like your electric cars,’” Anderson said.

Yep, which is really why it is a proposed resolution instead of a piece of legislation.

However, their description of EVs as a "misadventure" went a bit further than tit for tat.

Are the Fed and State subsidies "free market" initiatives?

Just as much as tax incentives to real estate investors, state issuance of oil and gas leases for drilling on public lands/seas, government-funded pharmaceutical research, government funding for weapons development. Subsidizing activities that are thought to produce public good in order to spur that activity has co-existed comfortably -- and successfully -- with capitalism from the start.

Consider research into fusion power generation. With decades of research and development still thought to be needed before fusion generation can be commercialized, do you really think today's "free market" investors would put their money into endeavors with little prospect of payback during their lifetimes?

I worked at General Electric during its heyday. Even GE -- with its core mission of generating power profitably -- was reluctant to commit investment to fusion energy, both because of its long investment tail and because so many other governments and entities around the world were involved in the research that the chances were too high that someone else would get to the till before GE could secure patents to protect its investment.

Free market capitalism alone is not the answer to everything, nor have the true capitalists I've worked with (Jack Welch at GE, Gary Wendt at GE Capital, Ken Griffin at Citadel Securities) wanted it to be. GE's corporate position was in favor of national health care, because they badly wanted that monkey off their back. And ask any hedge fund manager -- someone who tracks in free markets for a living -- whether he wants the government's preferential tax treatment of carried interest to go away. And Elon Musk -- the budding hero of the "hands off" theory of government -- has fought every way he can to maximize the sale income from the environmental tax credits that kept Tesla afloat for years.

I dunno…

Yeah but this, to me, is similar to a “marketing” campaign for the folks who still pick up a black and white newspaper. A rallying cry for a, let’s say, “MWGA” group if you will. Kind of a “shove it” mentality. I grew up in coal country and a similar sentiment still exists. My friends from high school constantly send me memes of trains filled with coal saying “another load of EV fuel on the way to California!” 🤦🏻‍♂️.

To that point, those same friends would not actually read any resolution or proposed legislation. They would, however, gravitate to a statement similar to “F your EV” which is baked into a Facebook article. That gains the momentum and, before you know it, people who never voted in their lives are googling “closest place to vote” with their pitch forks in their other hand.

I grew up in that world so I feel comfortable talking about it this way. I’m not standing on my hill looking down. I understand the tactics because, on some level, they still work on me. I’ve just outgrown that way of thinking. And I try my best to share with my high school friends what I believe is a path to a healthier planet. However, those rallying cries, like you quoted, are VERY loud though 😞

Yeah but this, to me, is similar to a “marketing” campaign for the folks who still pick up a black and white newspaper. A rallying cry for a, let’s say, “MWGA” group if you will. Kind of a “shove it” mentality. I grew up in coal country and a similar sentiment still exists. My friends from high school constantly send me memes of trains filled with coal saying “another load of EV fuel on the way to California!” 🤦🏻‍♂️.

To that point, those same friends would not actually read any resolution or proposed legislation. They would, however, gravitate to a statement similar to “F your EV” which is baked into a Facebook article. That gains the momentum and, before you know it, people who never voted in their lives are googling “closest place to vote” with their pitch forks in their other hand.

I grew up in that world so I feel comfortable talking about it this way. I’m not standing on my hill looking down. I understand the tactics because, on some level, they still work on me. I’ve just outgrown that way of thinking. And I try my best to share with my high school friends what I believe is a path to a healthier planet. However, those rallying cries, like you quoted, are VERY loud though 😞
Yup. 100% agreed.

Back