Video: Grand Touring inspection and first impression by a detailer in Chicago

U still can; just got to get there before Monday. I am going to ppf front and rockers, tint door windows and rear window, wrap mirrors and roof. They said they need a week which is fine as I am out of town anyway.

Still debating ceramic coating though.
If I had to choose one or the other, I'd probably go ceramic over ppf

If I had to choose one or the other, I'd probably go ceramic over ppf
I agree. The ceramic makes it so much easier to wash that I end up keeping the car in better condition. I ended up doing full PPF and ceramic, but that is probably overkill.

The front end of the air is pretty vertical and will be prone to rock chips. Will ceramic coating prevent the rock chips?

Just picked up my car from PPF and ceramic coating. PPF on front up to windshield and ceramic coating on entire car including windshields. There were clearly some issues with the paint from the factory. (Lucid agreed). Detailer was able to fix the more obvious ones. Car looks great. i highly recommend John at Palm Beach Clear Bra for anyone in Palm Beach Florida area. All in cost was $4,000.

U still can; just got to get there before Monday. I am going to ppf front and rockers, tint door windows and rear window, wrap mirrors and roof. They said they need a week which is fine as I am out of town anyway.

Still debating ceramic coating though.
The ceramic coating gives the paint bottomless depth, makes washing a breeze, and rain just blows off the body and windshield at speed, I can't say enough good stuff about it.

Attachments

• IMG_2217.jpeg
    IMG_2217.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 140
The front end of the air is pretty vertical and will be prone to rock chips. Will ceramic coating prevent the rock chips?
No that's what the PPF is for, but only up to a certain size lol and out of everything, the biggest problem area is the windshield anyways

I’ll be doing the ceramic coat myself on top of the matte PPF. The PPF is hydrophobic, but ceramic coating is cheap, just a little labor on a weekend and the job is done.

I’ve done it twice they deny any record of anything be done to it.

Is there any chance the car was damaged in transit and the transport company had the car repaired without disclosing it to Lucid? Not only do I think your car was damaged before delivery, I think the repair was a hack job.

I know some Lucids have left the factory with minor defects (mine included), but usually a car gets more attention after rework. (That is the reason for claims that refurbished products often have better quality than products off the regular production line.) Those barely-attached trim pieces at the top of the door panels just don't look like something that would come off a rework line to me.

Maybe Lucid needs to investigate the carrier, or you need to investigate Lucid by getting a certified examiner to document the issues with the car.

I believe this repainting involved more than a single panel. Also, the trim pieces were loose at the tops of both front and rear doors on that side of the car. This wasn't a repaint due to a factory blemish. This car was hit by something post production in my view.

I have a Zenith Red that I had ceramic coated. In inspecting the car for paint correction before coating, the installer found virtually no flaws in the paint finish. The only thing he noticed was a slight deformation in the front door panels below the handles on both sides of the car. This was an artifact of metal stamping, not of paint application, and it is impossible to see unless you squat down and catch the sun at a very precise angle. I had to try a couple of times before I could spot what he was trying to show me, and even then it was very subtle.

The ceramic coating required that the car be lightly polished before application in order to facilitate bonding with the clear coat. I was worried that any uneven polishing of the tinted clearcoat would subtly alter the hue of the car in spots. But it turns out that Lucid puts a true clearcoat on top of the tinted clearcoat (which is unique to the Zenith Red), and the finish held up well to the polishing.

The car -- which now has an 8-micron coat of silicon carbide on it -- has a very deep luster, and through a couple of cross-state trips and several hand washings thus far has shown no signs of swirling or any other issues.
Did you get the windshield coated? Has anyone done ceramic pro on the windshield? My installer didn’t know if it was ok due to the coating already on it.
He said if I foubd out it was ok to come back and he would do it.
Any thought? Did you coat the entire glass or just the brow?

My installer said he would coat the windshield if I wanted. However, he said that the use of wipers will begin to degrade the coating after about a year, as the glass can't be "scuffed" by polishing as paint can, which is necessary to create the tight bond between the ceramic and the surface it's coating. He said treatment with RainX will do as much to facilitate rain run off as ceramic coating, although it doesn't last as long. Neither will do much to protect glass from rock chips, of course.

So, no, I opted not to coat the glass and just use RainX glass cleaner every few days instead of my regular glass cleaner, which keeps up the RainX protection. I very seldom need to use the windshield wipers, even in south Florida's driving rains.

Did you get the windshield coated? Has anyone done ceramic pro on the windshield? My installer didn’t know if it was ok due to the coating already on it.
He said if I foubd out it was ok to come back and he would do it.
Any thought? Did you coat the entire glass or just the brow?
I have a coated windshield on my SVR, the wipers don't get much use as the rain just runs/blows off the windshield.

I have used this shop for my NSX and they are fantastic.

Some of what he is doing in his videos is taking a new to the market vehicle and giving viewers his observations, particularly in terms of quality.

In this case the car had finishing stuff from the factory, pigtails, signs of partial repainting, overspray, trim pieces either not fitting correctly or having installation issues.

In one of his replies to questions from the video he mentioned that the owner was not informed of the repainting.

Here are a few pics of the imperfections found on the car while applying Ceramic Pro, immediately after delivery.

Attachments

• D59330C0-4B3E-474B-8747-A61E39954838.jpeg
    D59330C0-4B3E-474B-8747-A61E39954838.jpeg
    412.2 KB · Views: 156
  • E4E0B26F-661E-40CA-84B0-A33EC3223509.jpeg
    E4E0B26F-661E-40CA-84B0-A33EC3223509.jpeg
    342.3 KB · Views: 148
Here are a few pics of the imperfections found on the car while applying Ceramic Pro, immediately after delivery.
You had ceramic applied before you drove back a few hundred miles?

Is there any chance the car was damaged in transit and the transport company had the car repaired without disclosing it to Lucid? Not only do I think your car was damaged before delivery, I think the repair was a hack job.

I know some Lucids have left the factory with minor defects (mine included), but usually a car gets more attention after rework. (That is the reason for claims that refurbished products often have better quality than products off the regular production line.) Those barely-attached trim pieces at the top of the door panels just don't look like something that would come off a rework line to me.

Maybe Lucid needs to investigate the carrier, or you need to investigate Lucid by getting a certified examiner to document the issues with the car.
That's where I'm thinking something may have happened.
I have used this shop for my NSX and they are fantastic.

Some of what he is doing in his videos is taking a new to the market vehicle and giving viewers his observations, particularly in terms of quality.

In this case the car had finishing stuff from the factory, pigtails, signs of partial repainting, overspray, trim pieces either not fitting correctly or having installation issues.

In one of his replies to questions from the video he mentioned that the owner was not informed of the repainting.
I think they are great, I worked with Justin in Elmhurst and he went over the car with me explaining what paint correction they had to do and it was a thorough inspection afterwards.

Any car new or used is going to need some level of paint correction before it gets coated, and of course you don't have to have it, but why wouldn't you? Also any car that is done properly will take two to three days te be finished.
Looks like somebody put a box or clipboard on the hood, or a hand landed on a dusty car cover.

I'm not digging seeing these red cars with paint issues.

You had ceramic applied before you drove back a few hundred miles?
No, I drove back home but none of those scuffs as well as several others could have been from driving it. Around 15 deep imperfections mostly around the panel gaps, sand marks from body shop removing dirt nibs from painting it.
All pictures I saw, none could’ve been from the drive home and then from home to the installer.

I did not inspect the car closely on delivery.

Back