Video: Grand Touring inspection and first impression by a detailer in Chicago

His observation about the light arrays on each side of the the trunk which is obscured when the trunk is closed surprised me. What's up with that?
It is a law, there must be rear lights on the car that do not move (so they can't just be on a trunk that can move up).

It is a law, there must be rear lights on the car that do not move (so they can't just be on a trunk that can move up).
This. Because most cars do not have “whale mouth” trunks, they cut off the tail lights and so some of the lights remain visible when it’s open. Here, they had to add the additional lights for when the trunk is open since the entire thing opens up. It’s the law.

It would

It wouldn't matter to me---what are they supposed to do, throw a door panel away because the initial paint job didn't pass QC?

I believe this repainting involved more than a single panel. Also, the trim pieces were loose at the tops of both front and rear doors on that side of the car. This wasn't a repaint due to a factory blemish. This car was hit by something post production in my view.

I have a Zenith Red that I had ceramic coated. In inspecting the car for paint correction before coating, the installer found virtually no flaws in the paint finish. The only thing he noticed was a slight deformation in the front door panels below the handles on both sides of the car. This was an artifact of metal stamping, not of paint application, and it is impossible to see unless you squat down and catch the sun at a very precise angle. I had to try a couple of times before I could spot what he was trying to show me, and even then it was very subtle.

The ceramic coating required that the car be lightly polished before application in order to facilitate bonding with the clear coat. I was worried that any uneven polishing of the tinted clearcoat would subtly alter the hue of the car in spots. But it turns out that Lucid puts a true clearcoat on top of the tinted clearcoat (which is unique to the Zenith Red), and the finish held up well to the polishing.

The car -- which now has an 8-micron coat of silicon carbide on it -- has a very deep luster, and through a couple of cross-state trips and several hand washings thus far has shown no signs of swirling or any other issues.

Too bad the owner of this car apparently isn't on this forum. I'd like to know whether the repaint was done after flaws were detected during the pre-delivery inspection. If so, it would be nice to know if the delivery center notified the owner that the car was being partly repainted.

If the car was repainted at the factory after flaws were detected, I suspect Lucid would not tell either the owner or the delivery center. The repaint probably would just be considered part of normal factory quality control.
Yep! That is my car in this video and nope Lucid service reports no record of any predelivery damage or repainting.

I had XPEL film and ceramic paint coating applied. The installers found no issues with my car, which was produced in December of last year. I guess that I got lucky.

I asked my installer if the Mercedes EQS had better fit and finish than the Lucid. He said:

"Yes yes yes. But the Lucid is three times better than Tesla."

I am not bashing Tesla at all and my wife's 2017 Mercedes did not come from Germany with perfect panel alignment but we have never had paint issues.
Same here. I picked my car up on Friday after having the full PPF and ceramic coating done and the owner was impressed with the overall build quality of the car. He was very impressed with the paint quality also. He said it's leagues ahead of Tesla (even on the Plaid) and even said that he's seen many Taycans come in that the Lucid has beat as well. When asking him how it compares to MB, I got the same response that the MB is tough to beat and they still win but overall he said the Lucid is a well built car.

I believe this repainting involved more than a single panel. Also, the trim pieces were loose at the tops of both front and rear doors on that side of the car. This wasn't a repaint due to a factory blemish. This car was hit by something post production in my view.

I have a Zenith Red that I had ceramic coated. In inspecting the car for paint correction before coating, the installer found virtually no flaws in the paint finish. The only thing he noticed was a slight deformation in the front door panels below the handles on both sides of the car. This was an artifact of metal stamping, not of paint application, and it is impossible to see unless you squat down and catch the sun at a very precise angle. I had to try a couple of times before I could spot what he was trying to show me, and even then it was very subtle.

The ceramic coating required that the car be lightly polished before application in order to facilitate bonding with the clear coat. I was worried that any uneven polishing of the tinted clearcoat would subtly alter the hue of the car in spots. But it turns out that Lucid puts a true clearcoat on top of the tinted clearcoat (which is unique to the Zenith Red), and the finish held up well to the polishing.

The car -- which now has an 8-micron coat of silicon carbide on it -- has a very deep luster, and through a couple of cross-state trips and several hand washings thus far has shown no signs of swirling or any other issues.
Good post, and I'm glad to hear that your car is how I suspect 99% of the cars being shipped from Lucid will be when delivered to the customer. Chicago Auto Pros whose video is in the OP really do a thorough job of going over a car before they quote you a price for ceramic paint coating and PPF as they are looking to see how much paint correction has to be done, they will also physically go over the inspection with you.

While I'm not a fan of PPF because IMO it's going to tear when it gets hit with an object that will chip hood paint, and a good body man can generally touch up those chips and scars to make them practically invisible while a PPF tear is just there; what has me comtemplating PPF with the AGT is the front end and if I'm going to that I may a well do the whole front clip to avoid any seams.

For the ceramic coating I will going with the Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra which has a 9 year guarantee, I have it on my SVR and it is just slick as snot.

I’ve done it twice they deny any record of anything be done to it.
Did they watch video?

It just seems obvious that something happened, and if nothing did happen that begs the question; Is that paint job what they consider to be acceptable?

Did they watch video?

It just seems obvious that something happened, and if nothing did happen that begs the question; Is that paint job what they consider to be acceptable?
I picked up my car originally at the Goose Island Chicago location and that’s where I took it for service. They claim and I believe they don’t have the ability to do a paint job there. It’s frustrating and I didn’t expect the video to be aired but when I drive the car I really love it. It’s much better inside and outside.

I picked up my car originally at the Goose Island Chicago location and that’s where I took it for service. They claim and I believe they don’t have the ability to do a paint job there. It’s frustrating and I didn’t expect the video to be aired but when I drive the car I really love it. It’s much better inside and outside.
I'm assuming that I will be picking up my car at Goose Island, I was just at Cheif O'Neill's on Elston two weeks ago and was meaning to stop by GI on way to O'Neill's to check out the facilty and cars but time ran short.

Your car is the same spec as mine, good taste changenow! I put my deposit down on 01-03-22, and finalized my order on 03-26-22, if you don't mind please share your dates and if you do mind, no worries 👍

Nice find. I've now heard a number of contradictory opinions on the paint quality. Hard to know the answer, but makes me want to bring a detailer to the delivery. Anyone who already has their car finding issue with their paint, or loose trim pieces?
6A293CC6-7A8A-4DDA-8EBA-98F1D441F32E.jpeg

The trim piece circled in red is loose on mine. On both sides. Rear passenger door is misaligned with front door. Left driver side mirror is “blurry” and must have the auto-dimming film misaligned if that’s a thing. Waiting on techs to contact us. Otherwise, superb.

View attachment 1896
The trim piece circled in red is loose on mine. On both sides. Rear passenger door is misaligned with front door. Left driver side mirror is “blurry” and must have the auto-dimming film misaligned if that’s a thing. Waiting on techs to contact us. Otherwise, superb.
Did you discover the loose trim or was that part of the to-do list Lucid provided at delivery?

Did you discover the loose trim or was that part of the to-do list Lucid provided at delivery?
We discovered the trim after we got home. We inspected the car very closely at delivery but didn’t think to poke everything to ensure it was tight. And, to be honest, we were excited to be in the car and by everything else being fantastic that we may have overlooked some bits.

The PPF shop has had the car for a little over a day. I asked for their assessment and got the following:

- They noticed an almost undetectable bit of touch up paint on the bumper just beneath the lights. Said they would have noticed it either had the tech not been working right there with the lights on.
- Also said, "so far, hands down better than Tesla paint"

My car will go into Chicago Auto Pros Saturday (a different location from the video review that was shared). I will share report in a week or so.

My car will go into Chicago Auto Pros Saturday (a different location from the video review that was shared). I will share report in a week or so.
Damn it, I wanted to be the first Lucid at the Elmhurst shop 😂

Damn it, I wanted to be the first Lucid at the Elmhurst shop 😂

U still can; just got to get there before Monday. I am going to ppf front and rockers, tint door windows and rear window, wrap mirrors and roof. They said they need a week which is fine as I am out of town anyway.

Still debating ceramic coating though.

Back