Very hot weather and AC

Steve

Moon valley - I'm not going to lie. It was hot in my car!!!
I live in Tucson and awaiting my GT. I was told by SA that the Lucid had switched over to a heat pump. Hopefully the Lucid heating/cooling will handle the temperature ranges for the NE and SW areas.

I was traveling on Friday and was consistently around 98 degrees with sun beaming down onto the roof. Not going to lie, it was toast in the car. I ended up setting the A/C to 68 and had fans around 7 or 8 to keep the cabin cooled. Since the update though that did some adjustments to the fans things seemed to have improved. I drove back yesterday with similar temps and could maintain 70 degrees inside with a fan speed of 5. I dropped the fan speed to 3 and noticed instantly the cabin warming up so put it back to 5 and it was comfortable.

I was traveling on Friday and was consistently around 98 degrees with sun beaming down onto the roof. Not going to lie, it was toast in the car. I ended up setting the A/C to 68 and had fans around 7 or 8 to keep the cabin cooled. Since the update though that did some adjustments to the fans things seemed to have improved. I drove back yesterday with similar temps and could maintain 70 degrees inside with a fan speed of 5. I dropped the fan speed to 3 and noticed instantly the cabin warming up so put it back to 5 and it was comfortable.
Do you have tints on the car?

Yeah we parked at a beach today and interior temp rose to 106, set it to 68 from the app right when we started walking back to the car and it had cooled it well over the 10 minutes it took to walk back, and fan of 5 temp 68 worked so well once we started driving for a bit that we reduced the fan to 3. It’s a noticeable improvement over 1.2.1 software.

In my experience, the car struggles to cool down. When parked outside for an hour or more the last few days I have reached interior temperatures of 138+. I just set the AC on my app about 10 mins before going back out to the car at it comes down to about 90-95. It seems the air vents, in how they are positioned, don't point up say past shoulder height. So with that and the heat coming through the roof it definitely is hot. When you have both the legs and the upper vents on it drastically reduces the upper vent flow too. I tinted my side windows and back seat roof to 15% with 80% heat reduction film. And tinted my windshield with a 80% and it did drastically reduce the heat coming off the roof. But when its 116 and no cloud coverage not much you can do. Hoping this new update gives a little more power to the interior AC fans.

I feel like with 1.2.6, 3 is the old 5 and they essentially sped up the fan speeds. It's nice :cool:

In my experience, the car struggles to cool down. When parked outside for an hour or more the last few days I have reached interior temperatures of 138+. I just set the AC on my app about 10 mins before going back out to the car at it comes down to about 90-95. It seems the air vents, in how they are positioned, don't point up say past shoulder height. So with that and the heat coming through the roof it definitely is hot. When you have both the legs and the upper vents on it drastically reduces the upper vent flow too. I tinted my side windows and back seat roof to 15% with 80% heat reduction film. And tinted my windshield with a 80% and it did drastically reduce the heat coming off the roof. But when its 116 and no cloud coverage not much you can do. Hoping this new update gives a little more power to the interior AC fans.
Is there a reason you went with that tint level? On my Karma, I have 30% on my front windows, 5% on my back and rear, and 70% on my windshield. I was planning on doing the same when I finally get my Air. And when you say back seat roof, did you tint up to across the top? (Yes, the 30% on the front is slightly more than legal, but my guy said that you really can't tell the difference unless someone actually tests it. And that they never do on these sorts of cars. Highly likely some profiling going on, but he even promised he would redo the front window tint for free if it was ever an issue.

The 30% and the 15% had the same heat rejection. So really just aesthetics. I planned to go 30 but when I saw the 15% it look so good on the quantum grey. And yes I tinted the rear roof glass panel as well in the 15%. Didn't go 5% on the back because already hard to see out of the small window and you can put up the rear privacy screen if need be.

The 30% and the 15% had the same heat rejection. So really just aesthetics. I planned to go 30 but when I saw the 15% it look so good on the quantum grey. And yes I tinted the rear roof glass panel as well in the 15%. Didn't go 5% on the back because already hard to see out of the small window and you can put up the rear privacy screen if need be.
Cool, good to know. Forgot about the privacy screens, may have to revise my tint plan. What brand of tint was that? I'm planning to go with Xpel XR Plus, which I think might be a little bit higher IR rejection?

This thread got me looking up different kinds of tints for windows. Has anyone looked into metallic or ceramic tints? Ceramic tints are supposed to be expensive but block more IR rays. Does other kinds of tint like mirror finish or ceramic affect interior temperature?

This thread got me looking up different kinds of tints for windows. Has anyone looked into metallic or ceramic tints? Ceramic tints are supposed to be expensive but block more IR rays. Does other kinds of tint like mirror finish or ceramic affect interior temperature?
Xpel xr plus and 3m crystalline are both ceramic

Ceramic is well worth it! I remember the first summer I had ceramic tint, I could feel the heat blockage go perfectly up and down with the window.

There was some thread where someone got ahold of measurements and the tinting on the car already blocks almost 100% UV and IR.

Thanks everyone. Please keep it up.

To give some comparison...I have a BMW 530e plugin hybrid. It was garaged at home and at the Scottsdale Fashion Square. It was very comfortable on the road in auto mode with the temp set to 69.

Yesterday I played golf and parked in an outside lot. I opened the sunroof a crack and put up a screen on my windshield (as much to protect the leather dash as to cut heat). I also have a high quality nano ceramic tint on the side windows. I used the phone app to cool off (precondition in BMW speak) after the 17th hole. The car was comfortable by the time I got in it.

I am looking for similar results. One reason I have preordered the Pure is to eliminate the top window to cut heat gain.

Test drove yesterday in Chicago in drivers seat and rear passenger seat. It was over 100 degrees, index around 110. Totally fine and comfortable, but AC was at the higher end, though not maxed out. I think it was on auto, I didnt even think to check what # the AC was on.

The AC and radiator fan were definitely working hard and audible when standing outside the car, but it was also an older pre-production vehicle and unusually hot+humid. Nothing that stood out as concerning.

Back