VA Air GT Order; Comparison to Mercedes AMG S65

TomFish

Cars
Air DE-P & AMG S65
DE Number
I’ve been reading lots of great posts on this forum, but this is my first post to introduce myself & share some comparison thoughts.

I placed my Air Grand Touring reservation deposit on Feb 21 and received the “ready to order” email on March 23. Within several days I did a test drive in the Tysons, VA location and just confirmed my order.

My AGT configuration is cosmos silver exterior, the dark Mohave interior and 21” wheels. I realize that the silver will probably add a couple/several months (“available Q3”) to the delivery time, but I prefer a single-color car (all silver / platinum) than two-tone (personal preference). I’ll probably order the 19” wheels later for the Virginia winters.

Over the last two decades my cars evolved from 400hp M5 to 500hp 911 turbo to 600hp AMG S65 to 700hp RennTech tuned AMG S65. The 800hp Grand Touring sounds like the next logical step.

I’m still on the wait-list for the Dream Edition, but realize there’s slim-to-no chance of getting one unless there are quite a few cancelations of the already sold orders. Maybe I’ll be able to get the high performance Gravity SUV when it launches since I’ll be an Air GT owner then.

The comparison posts from owners of Tesla Plaids & Porsche Taycans in this forum were very helpful in my decision to buy a Lucid. Maybe I can add some value by sharing my personal experiences with high performance Mercedes luxury sedans.

Both of bi-turbo V12 AMG S65 cars have been great luxury & sedan-class performance cars. I bought both of them 18-24 months old with 40K-45K miles when they had depreciated more than 50% off their $230K. I bought the Mercedes extended factory 7yr 100K mile warranty for $6K and then had essentially a quarter million dollar car with 5 more years of warranty for a little over $100K. Those hefty depreciations don’t exist any more. A major negative of this approach is the expensive maintenance: I just paid $9K to change brakes & rotors. Just changing spark plugs involves 24 plugs & related labor.

The top-of-the-line S-class vehicles really bring robust innovations to market early. My 2012 had radar-based auto cruise control, lane departure warning with haptic feedback, night vision, etc. My personal opinion is that the Mercedes luxury & creature comforts level (seats, sound system, etc.) is also ahead of the Lucid now. With the RennTech tune (chip, air box, exhaust, suspension, wheels, posi diff) the S65 feels just slightly slower than the AIr GT in Sprint mode. Two negatives with the S65 are the high center of gravity and the RWD-only drivetrain which can’t get all the power to the road, even with sticky 315’s on 11 inch rims & locking differential.

I considered buying an AMG S63 that’s a couple years old and getting the Renntech 842hp tune. The recent Mercedes hot 4.0L V8 is a better engine than the old 6.2L V12 (now discontinued), and the S63 has AWD. However, the depreciation isn’t what it used to be and the combined cost would be a lot more than a brand new Lucid Air GT.

I test drove an EQS 580 and it was substantially slower than my S65. It also appeared to have a software bug with unlocking the doors (sounds familiar). The AMG EQS 53 (and probable future EQS 63) should perform better, but I’m also not a fan of the body style nor the missing frunk (although I do like the hatchback aspect).

The redneck in me will miss the roar of the tuned V12 with custom air box & exhaust. However, the geek in me loving new tech won out, hence the Lucid Air GT.

Hopefully this post isn’t a “too long didn’t read” TL;DR post, but I’ve been giving this purchase a lot of thought. Hopefully some of my ramblings will be helpful to somebody.

Thanks for the write up, very informative. I didn’t like the EQS either, pretty boring.

I drove the EQS in Sarasota. I grew up in Germany in Porsches and Mercedes. My parents always had both.
Don’t really like anything about the EQS. Still a lot of corporate culture in the car. The salesman could never figure out how to work the driver assistance stuff. The car floats. The ‘tech guy’ couldn’t answer some of my important questions. On top of it they are asking 15-25000 dollars over MSRP. So Lucid right now is my car. Just hope that Jon Retingers review got the Lucid tech department’s attention. No Apple car play? What’s up with that? The cheapest new cars have that by now. Software refit needs lots of improvement but I am hopeful that they get that running

I drove the EQS in Sarasota. I grew up in Germany in Porsches and Mercedes. My parents always had both.
Don’t really like anything about the EQS. Still a lot of corporate culture in the car. The salesman could never figure out how to work the driver assistance stuff. The car floats. The ‘tech guy’ couldn’t answer some of my important questions. On top of it they are asking 15-25000 dollars over MSRP. So Lucid right now is my car. Just hope that Jon Retingers review got the Lucid tech department’s attention. No Apple car play? What’s up with that? The cheapest new cars have that by now. Software refit needs lots of improvement but I am hopeful that they get that running
I never pay over MSRP, and don't do business with dealers that do chargers cover MSRP. In today's Internet world you can have a car shipped from any State for $1500.

I never pay over MSRP, and don't do business with dealers that do chargers cover MSRP. In today's Internet world you can have a car shipped from any State for $1500.
This will be my 42nd car and I have never even paid MSRP. Some dealers are just getting way to greedy

This will be my 42nd car and I have never even paid MSRP. Some dealers are just getting way to greedy
So your Lucid is being sold at the MSRP, correct? I think this will be the new model. The ’dealerships’ are studios in malls, and the MSRP price is the price, no negotiations.

I am perfectly ok with the Studio approach since there is no haggling and no (most of the time)uninformed salesmen decending on me. That should be the future of new car buying experiences

Car dealer salesman know nothing about the EVs. I remember quite well the experience buying the Leaf. haven’t had to haggle for a long time. I have either gotten an internet price and got the car at Longo Toyota/Lexus or got the Costco price and then just went to the dealer to pick it up.

But car buying is changing. We now have a third car studio going into the mall. instead of the miles of car dealerships, one will just take a trip to the local mall and window shop.

Car dealer salesman know nothing about the EVs. I remember quite well the experience buying the Leaf. haven’t had to haggle for a long time. I have either gotten an internet price and got the car at Longo Toyota/Lexus or got the Costco price and then just went to the dealer to pick it up.

But car buying is changing. We now have a third car studio going into the mall. instead of the miles of car dealerships, one will just take a trip to the local mall and window shop.
Dang, you drive all the way up to Longo! That's my neck of the woods

Dang, you drive all the way up to Longo! That's my neck of the woods
i have, but not in a while. if I was buying a Toyota or Lexus, always got the best pricing there. Plus, I used to live in Alhambra and Long Beach a few decades ago. (I am getting old!) But before I went, I would give the local dealers a chance to match the price I had in my hand to save me the drive. They only matched once, on our most recent Sienna. Must have been a slow month and needed the sale!

Solucid

Would love to chat/meet with you about your experience. I live in Sarasota and am awaiting a silver AGT. Will hopefully come in Q4 after a looooong wait. Also drove the EQS in Sarasota and did not like it.

Are there any other owners nearby. Has service been a problem? Did you get PPF and if so where.

Thanks

John

Solucid

Would love to chat/meet with you about your experience. I live in Sarasota and am awaiting a silver AGT. Will hopefully come in Q4 after a looooong wait. Also drove the EQS in Sarasota and did not like it.

Are there any other owners nearby. Has service been a problem? Did you get PPF and if so where.

Thanks

John
John
Imgur car was in West Palm and I did not take delivery for many reasons. To new of a company, still too many glitches, charging way more of a challenge, no service center in the greater Sarasota area, etc. I bought a Tesla(not as luxurious as the Lucid), a proven car, Sarasota Service Center which has been very responsive to me. No range anxiety, drove it already twice to NC. Great supercharger network. Tesla’s software way superior(albeit not 100 % perfect). Have a second Tesla on order. So far had only very positive experience with my car

John
Imgur car was in West Palm and I did not take delivery for many reasons. To new of a company, still too many glitches, charging way more of a challenge, no service center in the greater Sarasota area, etc. I bought a Tesla(not as luxurious as the Lucid), a proven car, Sarasota Service Center which has been very responsive to me. No range anxiety, drove it already twice to NC. Great supercharger network. Tesla’s software way superior(albeit not 100 % perfect). Have a second Tesla on order. So far had only very positive experience with my car
So do you have a Lucid or did you not end up getting one?

John
OK. Thanks. Good luck with it. It is a great car

Back