USB Media Problem

Jack V

Cars
Lucid Grand Touring
USB Media Problem
I continue to have a problem with the USB port. The port will play the recorded music on the memory stick. However, once the car locks and you try to access the USB port again, the response is that one must check for the proper formatting of the music on the memory. This is nonsensical since the music played properly before. You must now unplug the memory stick and insert it again and only then will the system reload the music and play it normally. I have confirmed the problem with other cars at the dealer months ago but the problem persists. Has anybody else experienced this?
Jack.

If I worked for Lucid and another employee gave out my contact information, I’d rightly be super pissed and probably resign over it.

That would be a massive violation of my privacy.
But that doesn't mean that he couldn't ask a question on a customer's behalf, and that wasn't an option.

But that doesn't mean that he couldn't ask a question on a customer's behalf, and that wasn't an option.
Have you sent your comment to Customer Care? They will forward your comments to the correct team in Lucid. It’s unlikely that you will hear anything back other than your message has been forwarded to whatever team. This is the best path that I know of.

Have you sent your comment to Customer Care? They will forward your comments to the correct team in Lucid. It’s unlikely that you will hear anything back other than your message has been forwarded to whatever team. This is the best path that I know of.

I'm too new to the car, and I'll give it some time to see if it's a real life concern. For now, I have bigger ones. I have seen some of my suggestions make it onto other cars when the EV company was young like Lucid, but it's too early to see how responsive they will be. I'd rather see them go down the list of items at Lucidupdates, which I think better represents the needs of owners as a whole.

Ex-FAT is the new external drive format (USB drive) standard for Windows. Yet my Lucid Air won't accept it. This should be an easy fix for the Lucid software people to upgrade the Air's USB port to accept Ex-FAT formatted USB drives. I'm not positive, but I believe Apple products also can read this format.

Ex-FAT is the new external drive format (USB drive) standard for Windows. Yet my Lucid Air won't accept it. This should be an easy fix for the Lucid software people to upgrade the Air's USB port to accept Ex-FAT formatted USB drives. I'm not positive, but I believe Apple products also can read this format.
As noted on the lucidupdates.com FAQ: you need a USB FAT32 format drive; it can play MP4, MP3, AAC, and 96/24 FLAC format files and they sound excellent. The car does not currently support uncompressed WAV, ALAC or 192/24 FLAC files over USB at this time.

So .... In March 2023 I formatted a 120GB USB stick with the fat32format Ridgecrop tool. Excellent. Loaded 753 songs occupying 12 GB. Excellent. Plugged it in my AGT and everything worked. Excellent. Since then I occasionally switch to the USB in the car and it has always worked. I took the 2.1.33 update a week or so ago and randomly tried my USB. Now it 'loads' to 24%, does a retry and just hangs at 24%. I rebooted (via Air Logo 20 sec hold). No Joy. I switched profiles (twice). No joy. Unplugged/plugged in USB. No joy. Brought USB to my windows machine. No problem. I cannot definitively correlate this USB failure to the .33 update but I realize there are other reported failures. Has anyone else seen usb stick issues recently (post .33)?

So .... In March 2023 I formatted a 120GB USB stick with the fat32format Ridgecrop tool. Excellent. Loaded 753 songs occupying 12 GB. Excellent. Plugged it in my AGT and everything worked. Excellent. Since then I occasionally switch to the USB in the car and it has always worked. I took the 2.1.33 update a week or so ago and randomly tried my USB. Now it 'loads' to 24%, does a retry and just hangs at 24%. I rebooted (via Air Logo 20 sec hold). No Joy. I switched profiles (twice). No joy. Unplugged/plugged in USB. No joy. Brought USB to my windows machine. No problem. I cannot definitively correlate this USB failure to the .33 update but I realize there are other reported failures. Has anyone else seen usb stick issues recently (post .33)?
My usb still works fine

What did you run on your windows PC? Scandsk or chkdsk?

Initially, selected drive(in my case, I:)> Properties > Tools > Check and that found no errors. I then did a random sample of about 20 files to ensure they would play in my vlc player and they all did. When you asked the above question, I went back and ran chkdsk I: /R which took significantly longer but it also found no errors. I didn't really suspect there was an issue with the USB stick, but if you have a suspicion/recommendation, I'll try it. Thanks for your interest and response.

Two quick things regarding USB media.

First, while still in the parking garage before starting my test drive, I plugged in, loaded, and played a track. My SA immediately remarked that, other than Tidal, this was the best sound he'd heard from the car. I had some FLAC files on the drive, but the track I was playing was just a VBR MP3, probably encoded with -V2. He acted like he was gonna go get a USB drive and put some files on it. I thought it was kinda funny that nobody seems to think about this.

Second, I don't know what version of the software was in the car, but I could not pause and resume MP3 tracks. Pause worked fine, but in order to resume I had to start from the beginning of the track. Don't know how common that is.

Thanks Volund
I’m having the same experience you outlined. USB loads to 31% and it stops. I’m going to format a new drive and reload my music and see if it remedies the situation.

I’m having the same experience you outlined. USB loads to 31% and it stops. I’m going to format a new drive and reload my music and see if it remedies the situation.
Still will not load. Has always worked fine.

That means Tesla is storing data locally. Historically, Lucid has been against this and prior to the USB media stick had said they would never allow access to the car's HD. Thing have and can change, so let's hope they update the capability.

To update what I said before, I found that with the Tesla, even if I remove the USB device, if I put it back in and go to USB audio, it acts as if it was never removed. With the Lucid, if I do that, it will reload, and when that finally finishes, it will resume where I left off. It will know what song I was on, and continue playing things in the same folder after that. It was even the case when I swapped USB sticks and each had similar content. So the Lucid clearly knows where I left off, and where that item is in a particular folder on a particular path, if that hasn't changed. Given that, it should be able to continue playing and scan in the background, but it doesn't.

Well fast forward 5 months now from the last post. On my GT, if I plug in USB, it loads and does everything that I need it to (shuffle, artist, album etc, all options work). However if car is restarted after a complete stop (get out, lock and then unlock), USB is not recognized. I have to unplug and plug it back again for it to work flawlessly again. Does anyone know if this issue was resolved?

Well fast forward 5 months now from the last post. On my GT, if I plug in USB, it loads and does everything that I need it to (shuffle, artist, album etc, all options work). However if car is restarted after a complete stop (get out, lock and then unlock), USB is not recognized. I have to unplug and plug it back again for it to work flawlessly again. Does anyone know if this issue was resolved?

I have had that issue, but very rarely recently. It used to be an issue in the past, and part of it might have been the drive or the port, since I'm not using either of those now. Or it might be unrelated.

I have had that issue, but very rarely recently. It used to be an issue in the past, and part of it might have been the drive or the port, since I'm not using either of those now. Or it might be unrelated.
@Haggy - so you have quit using the USB altogether or listening to your flac files in an alternate way?

USB Media Problem
I continue to have a problem with the USB port. The port will play the recorded music on the memory stick. However, once the car locks and you try to access the USB port again, the response is that one must check for the proper formatting of the music on the memory. This is nonsensical since the music played properly before. You must now unplug the memory stick and insert it again and only then will the system reload the music and play it normally. I have confirmed the problem with other cars at the dealer months ago but the problem persists. Has anybody else experienced this?
Jack.
Different drive on the other USB port. I had been told by someone at Lucid that the USB C port was faster but it turned out not to be the case.

I had that issue too, and reported it. I do not know if it was fixed, as I've unfortunately been away from my car for over a month 😭

I had that issue too, and reported it. I do not know if it was fixed, as I've unfortunately been away from my car for over a month 😭
I was also away for close to a month, and am now recovering from the trip and haven't used the car yet, so the world will have to survive with two fewer data points.

Back