Upping their advertising! Billboard!

P94027

Cars
Tesla, BMW, Lexus
Driving on 101 in San Francisco and saw this!

IMG_0835.jpeg

They have a huge building takeover on the 405 near Howard Hughes in LA. It's a good advertising spot because traffic can build there during rush hour. I'll try to grab a pic next time but it's massive and the only Lucid ad that I've seen in LA other than their pop up studio locations.

New Yorker magazine 23 Oct. 2023
PXL_20231110_011213055.jpg
PXL_20231110_011144815.jpg

cosmos silver / santa cruz ... excellent taste

The first thing I say to anyone who asks about my Lucid here in Colorado is that it's made in Arizona. It's a big deal to many Americans that the car is American made, employing American workers. (And yes, the perception and assumption is that the car is foreign, because it looks so damn good.)

Lucid is also very proud of their California heritage for good reason. California is by far the largest market for EV sales in the US. They could get by just fine if they could grab any significant share of the California market alone.

Personally, I think it's super cool that once again some of the finest cars in the world are being designed right here in the USA. I didn't think that would happen again after living through the 90s.

The first thing I say to anyone who asks about my Lucid here in Colorado is that it's made in Arizona. It's a big deal to many Americans that the car is American made, employing American workers. (And yes, the perception and assumption is that the car is foreign, because it looks so damn good.)

Lucid is also very proud of their California heritage for good reason. California is by far the largest market for EV sales in the US. They could get by just fine if they could grab any significant share of the California market alone.

Personally, I think it's super cool that once again some of the finest cars in the world are being designed right here in the USA. I didn't think that would happen again after living through the 90s.
Yep! In 2022, California accounted for 37% of EV sales Nationwide.

During my weekly hikes, I got a front spot in parking near the trail entrance. When I got back to the car, there was a woman waiting by the car. When she noticed that I'm the owner, she came up to me to tell me how gorgeous the car was and she loved the design and looks. She asked me a few typical questions of who makes it, what brand, how many miles on a charge, etc.

When I told her it was a new American car company and made in the USA, her eyes lit up. It got her more interested and she was shocked that an American company was making this type of car, and she was going to look into it more. Her last departing words, "The car is absolutely beautiful. It puts Teslas to shame. And I'm happy it's American and not some foreign brand." It absolutely matters (for her and some future buyers).

You have no idea how many people think lucid is chinese.. and besides apple does the same thing!
Yeah my point wasn't to differentiate it from being Chinese, it was that perhaps replacing California with America would be more effective.

During my weekly hikes, I got a front spot in parking near the trail entrance. When I got back to the car, there was a woman waiting by the car. When she noticed that I'm the owner, she came up to me to tell me how gorgeous the car was and she loved the design and looks. She asked me a few typical questions of who makes it, what brand, how many miles on a charge, etc.

When I told her it was a new American car company and made in the USA, her eyes lit up. It got her more interested and she was shocked that an American company was making this type of car, and she was going to look into it more. Her last departing words, "The car is absolutely beautiful. It puts Teslas to shame. And I'm happy it's American and not some foreign brand." It absolutely matters (for her and some future buyers).
Yeah I love that it's American made. It's just a weird choice to highlight California designed. Like - when you say something is made in Texas you generally get a big boost in Texas and like a negative bias in the rest of the country...and having lived in NYC, DC, TX, the Bay Area, and Chicago...it always seemed the same for California.

Just seems like an odd choice that might be more effective if they said America.

Yeah I love that it's American made. It's just a weird choice to highlight California designed. Like - when you say something is made in Texas you generally get a big boost in Texas and like a negative bias in the rest of the country...and having lived in NYC, DC, TX, the Bay Area, and Chicago...it always seemed the same for California.

Just seems like an odd choice that might be more effective if they said America.

Again, the vast majority of customers for this car are in California. The rest are the type of person who wouldn't think California != America.

Anyone who would be turned off by the car being designed in California are not people who would buy this car in the first place, in other words. Why cater an ad to them?

Apple, similarly, still states Designed by Apple in California on all their products.

Hell, you can buy a beautiful $200-300 book about it: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2016...lifornia-chronicles-20-years-of-apple-design/

The reason it says designed in California is the same reason IKEA says designed in Sweden. People like California design, and they like Swedish design; it’s why California closets does so well.

Back