Unresolved Suspension Clunk 5 Months Later

mustafam1

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
2023 Lucid Air Pure AWD
Referral Code
PXO2J0EA
Hello everyone! I’m not entirely sure what I’ll get from sharing this, but here it goes –

I leased my 2023 Lucid Air Pure AWD back in early April, and overall, it’s been a great experience—except for one frustrating suspension issue that remains unresolved.

Whenever I drive over rough roads or through parking lots at speeds between 5-20 mph, there’s a persistent clunking noise coming from the front driver’s side. It sounds like something might be loose, possibly a sway bar. If I hit a moderate bump at higher speeds, the clunk happens once, more suddenly and louder than the usual noise. Additionally, I often find myself gripping the steering wheel tightly and constantly making small corrections to avoid ‘ping-ponging’ within the lane, especially on the highway.

I reported the issue to service shortly after getting the car, and they diagnosed it as a defective ‘damper spring assembly,’ which they replaced. Unfortunately, that didn’t fix the noise.

After getting the car back, I informed them the clunk was still there. Remote technicians came out but couldn’t replicate the sound. On my third complaint, they compared it with another Lucid Air at a nearby shop and concluded the clunking must be ‘normal,’ as the other car had the same issue.

I’ve also seen other threads mentioning a similar issue caused by loose tie rod ends, but the remote technicians checked mine and said they were fine.

Has anyone else dealt with this and found a solution? Is a persistent clunk from the front driver’s side really considered normal? I’m thinking about taking it to an independent shop to investigate further, but I’m unsure of what to do next. My lease is 18 months, and while I could tolerate this until the end, I’m questioning whether I should have to.

I have no unusual sound that I'm aware of aside from that of the tires hitting bumps. Can you get a video? Try to get sound from inside with a view of outside to give a reference point for how bumpy and how fast.

Hello everyone! I’m not entirely sure what I’ll get from sharing this, but here it goes –

I leased my 2023 Lucid Air Pure AWD back in early April, and overall, it’s been a great experience—except for one frustrating suspension issue that remains unresolved.

Whenever I drive over rough roads or through parking lots at speeds between 5-20 mph, there’s a persistent clunking noise coming from the front driver’s side. It sounds like something might be loose, possibly a sway bar. If I hit a moderate bump at higher speeds, the clunk happens once, more suddenly and louder than the usual noise. Additionally, I often find myself gripping the steering wheel tightly and constantly making small corrections to avoid ‘ping-ponging’ within the lane, especially on the highway.

I reported the issue to service shortly after getting the car, and they diagnosed it as a defective ‘damper spring assembly,’ which they replaced. Unfortunately, that didn’t fix the noise.

After getting the car back, I informed them the clunk was still there. Remote technicians came out but couldn’t replicate the sound. On my third complaint, they compared it with another Lucid Air at a nearby shop and concluded the clunking must be ‘normal,’ as the other car had the same issue.

I’ve also seen other threads mentioning a similar issue caused by loose tie rod ends, but the remote technicians checked mine and said they were fine.

Has anyone else dealt with this and found a solution? Is a persistent clunk from the front driver’s side really considered normal? I’m thinking about taking it to an independent shop to investigate further, but I’m unsure of what to do next. My lease is 18 months, and while I could tolerate this until the end, I’m questioning whether I should have to.
Has anyone checked the strut?

I have no unusual sound that I'm aware of aside from that of the tires hitting bumps. Can you get a video? Try to get sound from inside with a view of outside to give a reference point for how bumpy and how fast.

I was only able to get a recording of the louder, more sudden clunks/knocks at higher speeds -

0:05
0:08
0:14
0:20

I'm assuming they have, supposedly the car was put on on a lift and they "put a wrench to everything" during my last service appointment a bit over a month ago.
I listened to your video. It does sound like a suspension issue.

I'm assuming they have, supposedly the car was put on on a lift and they "put a wrench to everything" during my last service appointment a bit over a month ago.
Have them check that you don't have a loose wheel.

Back