BUG Unreliable speed limit displayed

How would you describe the accuracy of the speed limit display on your dash?

• Excellent

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Good

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Fair

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Poor

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Awful

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • N/A I ignore it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yesterday for about 10 miles on the 405 in L.A. my speed limit read 35 MPH... suddenly it corrected itself to correct limit, but wondering how this works?
For the most part it reads speed limit signs. If it does not see one, it just remembers the last one it saw. In your case, before you got on the freeway.

Yesterday for about 10 miles on the 405 in L.A. my speed limit read 35 MPH... suddenly it corrected itself to correct limit, but wondering how this works?

The cameras read the speed limit signs. It will keep the last read sign until a new one is found. It can also miss them because of a truck in the lane blocking it.

I was told it's a combination of the front camera and GPS data provided by the different states

It will occasionally read a low truck speed limit sign. I have seen that down the Grapevine in LA where the truck limit in the truck lane is 35. It pickles that up. While the real limit is 65.

Yes, mine does that also. IMO that's understandable and acceptable. But mine continues to show 75 mph several times a week and there's no chance the camera saw a sign saying that the speed limit was 75 in NYS. Still no resolution

My guess that it's the combination of geolocation data and reading road signs.

The bottom line is, when a cop pulls you over and you say "But my car said the speed limit here is 75" you're still getting a ticket.

You can't rely on it completely, unfortunately. I've found this to be true with every car I've driven that has this functionality. Some are better than others, but none get it perfect.

Admins- can I ask why this thread is marked as 'Resolved'? It hasn't been.

Admins- can I ask why this thread is marked as 'Resolved'? It hasn't been.
Because it is a "best effort" system as it reads speed signs while driving, and does not pull them from a mapped database. There is nothing broken, it will just continually improve over time.

Because it is a "best effort" system as it reads speed signs while driving, and does not pull them from a mapped database. There is nothing broken, it will just continually improve over time.
I appreciate the change in the label. Thank you

Back