Unlock after charging

EVCar

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
GT
I just found out that I can now program the EQS to unlock the cable after the home charging is finished.
It's a nice touch and would be on my wish list for the Lucid app.

I just found out that I can now program the EQS to unlock the cable after the home charging is finished.
It's a nice touch and would be on my wish list for the Lucid app.
What would be the use case for this?

What would be the use case for this?
Well, for me it used to be a 3-step protocol: I'd have to unlock the car, either by fob or the app, then press the release button to remove the charging cable from the car. Now, with this new feature, I can just pull the thing out when charging is completed. And this short cut applies to only home charging so bystanders at EA still can't randomly unplug the cable.
(Technically speaking, the release button should be ready for deactivation if the fob or phone is in the vicinity, but 50% of the times, I have to unlock the car first)

Last edited:
Well, for me it used to be a 3-step protocol: I'd have to unlock the car, either by fob or the app, then press the release button to remove the charging cable from the car. Now, with this new feature, I can just pull the thing out when charging is completed. And this short cut applies to only home charging so bystanders at EA still can't randomly unplug the cable.
(Technically speaking, the release button should be ready for deactivation if the fob or phone is in the vicinity, but 50% of the times, I have to unlock the car first)
Fascinating. I always have my phone on me, so the car just unlocks when I walk up so I've never even considered this might be useful lmao

Sometimes we do miss the forest for the trees, eh? :)

I’d be alright with a “never lock cable” mode. I never have a reason to prevent someone from unplugging my car, it has only ever been inconvenient that it’s locked. I could imagine “unlock when charging stops” being useful at hotels and offices with one cable reaching multiple parking spots. Stick a sign in the window that says “light is white? feel free to take my cable.” But at home? No reason (for me) to lock it. If someone wants to unplug it it’s probably because the cable is in the way.

I’d be alright with a “never lock cable” mode. I never have a reason to prevent someone from unplugging my car, it has only ever been inconvenient that it’s locked. I could imagine “unlock when charging stops” being useful at hotels and offices with one cable reaching multiple parking spots. Stick a sign in the window that says “light is white? feel free to take my cable.” But at home? No reason (for me) to lock it. If someone wants to unplug it it’s probably because the cable is in the way.
Public chargers, friend.

Public chargers, friend.
Yeah, I use them, and I see no reason to lock myself into them? I've heard of EV vandalizing (though never seen it), but I've never heard of a mass EV unplugging campaign. Like I said I can understand wanting to lock the cable until you're done if you're in a place with one plug serving multiple spots, but I just don't see many of those. Nearly all of the public L2 chargers I've used here are in a corner where they wouldn't reach another car, or the other spots that it could reach have their own chargers. I fully believe that this isn't true everywhere, but that's why it'd be good as an option.

I’d hate for some selfish person to unplug my car just so they could plug theirs in.

Yeah, I use them, and I see no reason to lock myself into them? I've heard of EV vandalizing (though never seen it), but I've never heard of a mass EV unplugging campaign. Like I said I can understand wanting to lock the cable until you're done if you're in a place with one plug serving multiple spots, but I just don't see many of those. Nearly all of the public L2 chargers I've used here are in a corner where they wouldn't reach another car, or the other spots that it could reach have their own chargers. I fully believe that this isn't true everywhere, but that's why it'd be good as an option.
Haha, this might be the first time we've disagreed! Many of the new EA chargers, EVGo, etc., are all on extendable cables that would totally extend into the row next to me. Also, I'm rarely that guy who is parked there well after the idle period, but I'd be lying if I said it never happened. There has been a thing or two I simply couldn't extricate myself from.

I have seen enough lines and people upset, that I can pretty much guarantee it would be only a matter of time before someone just parked in front of you and stole the cable, and now you have a problem.

Anyway, I see it as similar to siphoning gas, minus the literal theft. Sure, it happens rarely. But it *can* happen, and if someone is desperate or annoyed enough, it will.

EV vandalism is definitely a thing; sliced charger cables are a real annoyance. We just don't see it much in NorCal or NoVa. But move to some of the coal-rolling states for a few weeks and you might feel differently.

Haha, this might be the first time we've disagreed! Many of the new EA chargers, EVGo, etc., are all on extendable cables that would totally extend into the row next to me. Also, I'm rarely that guy who is parked there well after the idle period, but I'd be lying if I said it never happened. There has been a thing or two I simply couldn't extricate myself from.
This is one of the reasons I don't want to be locked in. If I'm done, take my cable, why not.
I have seen enough lines and people upset, that I can pretty much guarantee it would be only a matter of time before someone just parked in front of you and stole the cable, and now you have a problem.
There's a difference between Cali and here. I have never sat in a line. I have had to wait for a stand to open up, but I was the only waiter.
Anyway, I see it as similar to siphoning gas, minus the literal theft. Sure, it happens rarely. But it *can* happen, and if someone is desperate or annoyed enough, it will.
Yeah, they're not stealing from me, I don't care?
EV vandalism is definitely a thing; sliced charger cables are a real annoyance. We just don't see it much in NorCal or NoVa. But move to some of the coal-rolling states for a few weeks and you might feel differently.
Yup, again, that's why it would be a nice option.

Bottom line is it has only ever annoyed me that the cable is locked. Whether I'm trying to unplug and I have to go unlock the car first, or my cable is in the way of something and my girlfriend just wants to move it for a second, or I take a spot at e.g. a hotel and I _want_ to let somebody take the cable from me so I don't have to worry about coming back out.

This is one of the reasons I don't want to be locked in. If I'm done, take my cable, why not.
You have more trust than people than I do, it would appear, haha. I barely trust anyone else to plug the cable into their own car; ain't no way I'm letting someone scratch up my car by unplugging my cable.

Also, sometimes I need to charge to 100% - rare, but on road trips. I have seen people be extremely annoyed with this fact, and want me to unplug at 80%. Usually, sure - but if I'm doing it, I'm doing it for a reason.

I can pretty much guarantee people would be unplugging people's cars at 80% or below just so they could get a charge before the other person has finished.

There's a difference between Cali and here. I have never sat in a line. I have had to wait for a stand to open up, but I was the only waiter.
I hope that always remains true. :) That is not the case here, on average. It's not like it's a long wait, but there sometimes is a wait.

Yeah, they're not stealing from me, I don't care?
Yeah, it's not a principle thing; I just don't need someone blocking my vehicle when I am trying to get out so that they could access the cable I'm plugged into. It is on me to show up and unplug my car. It is on the waiter to wait, just like everyone else has (if there's a line).

I was 8 minutes late to unplug once; still within the grace period. (I was at the pharmacy, they took forever, whatever).

I got back, and this lady opens the window of her car and starts screaming that she's been waiting a half hour and how dare I be so inconsiderate and blah blah. I explain to her that I also waited when I got there, and I then walked over to my charger where it says 8 minutes late. I made her get out, look at the kiosk, and read it with me. She started apologizing, etc., but that's very much not the point.

Yup, again, that's why it would be a nice option.

Bottom line is it has only ever annoyed me that the cable is locked. Whether I'm trying to unplug and I have to go unlock the car first, or my cable is in the way of something and my girlfriend just wants to move it for a second, or I take a spot at e.g. a hotel and I _want_ to let somebody take the cable from me so I don't have to worry about coming back out.
I hear you. Those are fair points. I guess I fall on the other side of it, but those are interesting scenarios.

You have more trust than people than I do, it would appear, haha. I barely trust anyone else to plug the cable into their own car; ain't no way I'm letting someone scratch up my car by unplugging my cable.
Which brings up a point I've always been aware of because of the low charge port location on the Lucid. If you're not careful removing the cable, it's all too easy to hit it against the area near the port, scratching the side of the car. I'm always super careful with removal. To some degree I had that with the Genesis electrified G80. The port there was even lower, located at the front of the car. If you weren't careful you could scratch the front grill a bit. Not nearly as bad as scratching the side of the Lucid.

Audi has this as an option you can turn on or off for DC chargers also in the MMI. Car needs to hit 100% before it’s unlocked though.

Not opposed to the idea if you have a selfish prick who charges to 100% and the car is unattended with them nowhere in sight clogging up a space. But yeah, not everyone treats other peoples property with respect so could do more harm than good.

I’d hate for some selfish person to unplug my car just so they could plug theirs in.
Unlike the selfish person who doesn’t come back for hours when the charging is finished and a locked cable is keeping someone else from using it. It really should unlock when finished.

I personally would like geo-fencing unlock of the car as a whole. And if the car is unlocked then the cable will also unlock.

Use case: I am at home and go to plug my car in. Well since the car would be home and geo-fenced to always be unlocked while home, I would be able to go to the car without any keys and unlock the charge port then plug it in. Having the car unlocked while home at all times would just be amazing in general as I have forgot my key and phone a number of times. Or someone needs something from my car and I either have to give them my phone or wait for the car to wake up via the app so I can send the unlock command.

*Other EV Vendors* do this and I miss it greatly.

I personally would like geo-fencing unlock of the car as a whole. And if the car is unlocked then the cable will also unlock.

Use case: I am at home and go to plug my car in. Well since the car would be home and geo-fenced to always be unlocked while home, I would be able to go to the car without any keys and unlock the charge port then plug it in. Having the car unlocked while home at all times would just be amazing in general as I have forgot my key and phone a number of times. Or someone needs something from my car and I either have to give them my phone or wait for the car to wake up via the app so I can send the unlock command.

*Other EV Vendors* do this and I miss it greatly.
Yes, completely agree. This item has been on the wishlist for a long time.

Geofencing would be fine. But they have to get it right. All it would take is one time where the car stayed open when it was supposed to lock, and there'd be ten people here in minutes screaming bloody murder.

Personally, I prefer simple over complex when it comes to features. I'd rather have a few things that work perfectly than dozens that work half-assed. That's why I left Tesla.

For me, I have a very simple routine. When I get home to the garage, I tap the charge port button on the left Cockpit Panel. I get out, plug it in, and I'm done. If the car is in the garage, it's plugged in. When I leave, I walk up to the car, which is unlocked by the time I get there. I pull out the charge plug, open the door, and drive away.

But then again, I'm one of those people who always puts their keys in the exact same spot when I get home. My glasses go in their case every night by the bed stand. And I always know where the TV Remote is. So I'm not the target audience for these sorts of features.

Geofencing would be fine. But they have to get it right. All it would take is one time where the car stayed open when it was supposed to lock, and there'd be ten people here in minutes screaming bloody murder.

Personally, I prefer simple over complex when it comes to features. I'd rather have a few things that work perfectly than dozens that work half-assed. That's why I left Tesla.

For me, I have a very simple routine. When I get home to the garage, I tap the charge port button on the left Cockpit Panel. I get out, plug it in, and I'm done. If the car is in the garage, it's plugged in. When I leave, I walk up to the car, which is unlocked by the time I get there. I pull out the charge plug, open the door, and drive away.

But then again, I'm one of those people who always puts their keys in the exact same spot when I get home. My glasses go in their case every night by the bed stand. And I always know where the TV Remote is. So I'm not the target audience for these sorts of features.
I totally understand what you mean but I also may be missing the fear here. For other features 100% but for something as simple as cross referencing the map coordinates.... I think they could get that right relatively easily.

If not though, I would also take a "Keep unlocked on trusted SSID's." So as long as its connected to my wifi, then stay unlocked. Would accomplish the same thing and not have to rely on a coordinate system.

I totally understand what you mean but I also may be missing the fear here. For other features 100% but for something as simple as cross referencing the map coordinates.... I think they could get that right relatively easily.
GPS is bouncy. Using geofencing for actual security is not simple, and IMO a bad idea. That said, a half assed option would work for most people and isn’t necessarily much of an issue in a locked garage.
If not though, I would also take a "Keep unlocked on trusted SSID's." So as long as its connected to my wifi, then stay unlocked. Would accomplish the same thing and not have to rely on a coordinate system.
Same problem as with Bluetooth keys. I just drop a wifi device outside your house, relay your wifi over the internet to a device in my pocket, and get in your car anywhere. Free Lucid for under $100 of simple gadgetry.

GPS is bouncy. Using geofencing for actual security is not simple, and IMO a bad idea. That said, a half assed option would work for most people and isn’t necessarily much of an issue in a locked garage.

Same problem as with Bluetooth keys. I just drop a wifi device outside your house, relay your wifi over the internet to a device in my pocket, and get in your car anywhere. Free Lucid for under $100 of simple gadgetry.
I mean you still wouldn't have a key to the car to start it. If the worry is that they can then get in your car then I think you are a little too paranoid. If the car is parked outside, its much quicker to break a window and check the car than to use a relay to unlock the car. Plus I would rather have a car with a non-broken window than one with regardless if the car was rummaged through or not.

So sure, this opens up some ways into the car but your failing to realize that in most cases, breaking a window is something that is much more common and easier to do. Can't fail proof that one.

Sure they can relay the car to start it as well but if they are relaying the key then they had access to the unlock the car anyways. Again I dont see much more security risk than what is already available and once relays get into the mix well thats already a security risk that we take today with the cars.

Back