• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Trip planning methods

As others have noted, Rivian plans to open their chargers to all later this year. Many of the Rivian Adventure charging Stations are located in remote areas where people go hiking, 4-wheeling, etc.. I prefer the Rivian chargers to EA/EVGo/Tesla.
If they open those to us, that would be wonderful. Living in CO, there are a number of these stations around national and state parks, where other chargers are few and far between. There have definitely been a few road trips in the past year I took where these would have come in handy.

If they open those to us, that would be wonderful. Living in CO, there are a number of these stations around national and state parks, where other chargers are few and far between. There have definitely been a few road trips in the past year I took where these would have come in handy.
Here is the latest

Except these won’t be nearly as prolific as the Tesla variant. :(
Not as prolific, but in my experience they are so frequently exactly where I want a charger to be. They’ve done a great job choosing sites. Since PlugShare doesn’t hide them it’s always teasing me with a 10/10 charger in a great location, when the nearest EA is far out of the way.

Not as prolific, but in my experience they are so frequently exactly where I want a charger to be. They’ve done a great job choosing sites. Since PlugShare doesn’t hide them it’s always teasing me with a 10/10 charger in a great location, when the nearest EA is far out of the way.
100% this.

Rivian’s fewer locations tend to be where other chargers are not, if that makes sense. Tesla stations, for me at least, tend to have close enough EA stations nearby where I would not benefit. Particularly at 50kWh.

They are very sparse on the East coast, so not much good for us East coasters.

In the US, Tesla has more chargers than all the other charger companies combined. As such, no one can match Tesla's coverage. Telsa is turning itself from a car manufacturer to a "gas station" (aka, Chevron, Exxon, etc.). It is a very clever strategy. If successfully executed, Tesla can stop selling cars and remain profitable.
In contrast, Rivian's "Adventure" charging stations target areas more off the beaten path. That said, I am seeing more Rivian charging stations in low-density urban areas. Rivian claims their chargers are powered by renewable energy.
My experience with Rivian's "Adventure" charging network has been great. For the past 8 months, I have had my R1S, I have never encountered a broken Rivian charger. Rivian chargers are quite fast Though rated as 300kW, the Rivian chargers typically charge much faster than EA's 350W. As discussed in other postings, Rivian's charging curve is flatter than Lucid's. As a result, the charging time is similar to that of the Lucid's. The cost is 36 cents/kWh, nationwide; substantially lower than most of the other providers. Rivian also provides L2 chargers for free at many locations.

Today I worked on planning a road trip to a somewhat remote area in the Eastern Sierras, and am wondering how many of you do it. After 13 years driving EVs, here is my strategy.

1) Use a combination of Google Maps and ABRP to arrange an initial list of destinations and the charging stations that can get me there and back.

2) Check Plugshare and each charging vendor's phone app to make sure the charging stations are mostly functional. Refine plan as needed.

3) Repeat step 2 the night before departing.

4) While enroute, before leaving a charging station, check the next charging station's phone app again to make sure the next location is still operational.

I tried using Plugshare today for trip planning, and while it could draw lines on a map, it didn't predict where I would need to charge, and seemed to be happy to route me to a place I could not return from due to insufficient charge. I was a little surprised by this, lacking the main functionality of an EV trip planner.
I do the same. Except on the day of the trip, I add the destination to the Lucid map in the car then manually add the chargers by pressing Manage and add charging station to the Lucid Map. The car does a great job at estimating the % battery life before the next charging stop and also does the auto battery preconditioning before the stop.

Be sure to checkin on plugshare at each charging stop.

The only thing to watch for is using car play and google maps. If you trigger a new destination in google maps, the car map will cancel the route you planned. So avoid using your phone for directions after manually setting the charging stops on the Lucid map in the car.

My experience above is from the east coast. 🤔
I just keep finding Rivian chargers exactly where I would want a charger. I even heard at the Lebanon, NH EA that was such a major bottleneck on the eclipse trip that Rivian is already starting to build a station near there. Makes sense, there were a ton of Rivians at that EA.

I just keep finding Rivian chargers exactly where I would want a charger. I even heard at the Lebanon, NH EA that was such a major bottleneck on the eclipse trip that Rivian is already starting to build a station near there. Makes sense, there were a ton of Rivians at that EA.
I.. don't agree. I have literally never ran upon a Rivian charger here (which makes sense since they have a grand total of zero chargers in NJ). Maybe things are different as you are a bit south of us? All the high speed chargers we have is pretty much only EA and EVgo... although all of our EA charges on a road trip from NJ>VA were flawless.

I.. don't agree. I have literally never ran upon a Rivian charger here (which makes sense since they have a grand total of zero chargers in NJ). Maybe things are different as you are a bit south of us? All the high speed chargers we have is pretty much only EA and EVgo... although all of our EA charges on a road trip from NJ>VA were flawless.
A Lucid can easily traverse NJ without charging, though.

Our point is that the one charger where you need a charger to be is more important than the five you drive past while you have more than 50% SoC.

No doubt, Rivian will grow the network over time. But so far, they are choosing their spots very wisely. Placing stations in areas that lack other options, along popular and specific routes.

OK, here’s a screenshot I took showing the Rivian’s east coast coverage. No way would I ever interpret this to be anything but sparse…and that’s being generous. I haven’t seen a single one in NY or NJ.
IMG_4065.png

OK, here’s a screenshot I took showing the Rivian’s east coast coverage. No way would I ever interpret this to be anything but sparse…and that’s being generous. I haven’t seen a single one in NY or NJ.
View attachment 20304
I don't think Rivian attempts to compete with the major charging providers like EA, EVGo, and now Tesla. Rivian focuses primarily on the major interstate routes and "Adventure" outdoor locations (e.g., Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Appalachian, etc.). Rivian's charging stations are spares inside major metropolitan areas (e.g., LA, San Francisco, Philly, etc.). This is their strategy, not an oversight.
Mostly, I drive the Phoenix to North Bay Area CA route. And Yes, I can make my trips entirely with Rivian charging stations. Typically, these stations are approximately 150-250 miles apart, a good match for Rivian's range.

View attachment 20304
I’m not disagreeing that it’s sparse though, I even said it is. I’m just saying that in my experience, I keep running into them anyway. Which says to me that they are well positioned. That may very well be subjective, I like going to exactly the places Rivian is targeting. They have a station right at the southern exit from Shenandoah National Park for example, while the closest EA is inconveniently located far away. That said, I also found several on my route up to VT, e.g. right between Philly and Baltimore. Again great spot, great rating, and the EA relatively nearby is farther off the freeway at a Walmart.

I don't think Rivian attempts to compete with the major charging providers like EA, EVGo, and now Tesla. Rivian focuses primarily on the major interstate routes and "Adventure" outdoor locations (e.g., Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Appalachian, etc.). Rivian's charging stations are spares inside major metropolitan areas (e.g., LA, San Francisco, Philly, etc.). This is their strategy, not an oversight.
Mostly, I drive the Phoenix to North Bay Area CA route. And Yes, I can make my trips entirely with Rivian charging stations. Typically, these stations are approximately 150-250 miles apart, a good match for Rivian's range.
I echo @joec's point of view vis-a-vis, "Our point is that the one charger where you need a charger to be is more important than the five you drive past while you have more than 50% SoC."

With respect to roundtrips, don't get enamor with the number of charging spots and the high-power chargers. With today's EVs and chargers, anything over 150kW is adequate. 350kW chargers offer little benefits. Key is reliable chargers and strategic locations.

I’m not disagreeing that it’s sparse though, I even said it is. I’m just saying that in my experience, I keep running into them anyway. Which says to me that they are well positioned. That may very well be subjective, I like going to exactly the places Rivian is targeting. They have a station right at the southern exit from Shenandoah National Park for example, while the closest EA is inconveniently located far away. That said, I also found several on my route up to VT, e.g. right between Philly and Baltimore. Again great spot, great rating, and the EA relatively nearby is farther off the freeway at a Walmart.
I'm looking at that map and thinking I could easily get from Maine to Florida using their chargers alone. I don't see the problem.

And they're just getting up and running.

I have not made a long trip yet in my Air. What I did when I had Tesla was making sure I save all the "probable" supercharger I will pass through on google maps without much of a detour so that I know where I can stop if Tesla suggests something vague. Usually accurate with Tesla in-built planner.

With Lucid, I am thinking of doing the same thing except focus on "rating" of the chargers, and prioritize EA since it is free for now. Then on the day of the trip I let my Lucid decide the stop locations. I will double check the plan - next charging stop location and duration of stop, when I stop at rest areas. Usually around meal time or when we are hungry (almost every 2hr lol). There maybe a better location with lot of restaurants nearby that I may stop before 15% SOC and charge to maybe more than 80%.
I might start relying on ABRP eventually but I found it to be too conservative for my previous Tesla.

This is all my speculation though. Looking forward to my first long drive to Boston in June.

ABRP allows user adjustment of many parameters such as efficiency, starting SOC, target SOC for recharging stops and final destination, max charge SOC, charging stop dwell time, bias for more frequent or less frequent stops, speed, etc. If you customize it can be a more useful tool. Coupled with the EA app which gives useful real time status of its chargers I don’t use PlugShare as much anymore.

Back