TPMS alert for 3 wheels?

gavram

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Touring
I went to drive home from a movie today and had a TPMS alert on 3 wheels. It stayed on for the duration of my 35 min drive. Any ideas why this may have happened? It was strange as one of the wheels was at a lower pressure, but did not have an alert, per the pic below. They were all calibrated at the same psi back in June and this is the first time I've had this happen.

20231007_190000.jpg

I went to drive home from a movie today and had a TPMS alert on 3 wheels. It stayed on for the duration of my 35 min drive. Any ideas why this may have happened? It was strange as one of the wheels was at a lower pressure, but did not have an alert, per the pic below. They were all calibrated at the same psi back in June and this is the first time I've had this happen.

View attachment 15427
June is a long time ago. Have you checked pressures since?

I check and top off my tires if needed at least once a week.

View attachment 15427
I agree work Joe, check tp at least every other week with a real tp gauge. Lucid does not calibrate the TPMS to your car; it just sets the internal receiver of the car to pick up the TPMS in whatever wheels and sensors are on the car. Just mating the sensor and car.

Remember that the TPMS is a a low pressure event warning device only. Not an accurate gauge. Fed law requires a TPMS warning system that will notify the driver with 30 minutes if a tire is more than 25% below required pressure.
Many here, including me, recommend 45/46 psi minimum for 20 and 21s. 49/50 for 19s. Seems to prevent lots of tire issues.

Thanks to this thread, I realized I haven't ever checked the tire pressure, in the 12 weeks I've owned mine. Just checked it. All four tires were 42 psi. Door jamb sticker says 49 psi is the target. Allow 1 psi for ambient temp being 60F so all four are six psi low. Glad I checked. The 19" aero wheels make it tricky to get the cap off without dropping it into the wheel. And my normal air pump doesn't fit into the slot in the wheel.

Thanks to this thread, I realized I haven't ever checked the tire pressure, in the 12 weeks I've owned mine. Just checked it. All four tires were 42 psi. Door jamb sticker says 49 psi is the target. Allow 1 psi for ambient temp being 60F so all four are six psi low. Glad I checked. The 19" aero wheels make it tricky to get the cap off without dropping it into the wheel. And my normal air pump doesn't fit into the slot in the wheel.
Actually, it was 7 psi low. All car tires should be set to cold ambient temperature at the time of measurement. No offset for outside temp. Every tire manufacturer has FYIs on this and what a pain in the ass this is with fluctuating seasonal temps. Common in the fall, when tires were set in the summer at a cold temp of 80 ambient and cold snap comes and its 30. Loads of manufacturer threads all TPMS going off on the first cold morning. Google ambient air issues and you will see.

Most EU cars avoid the TPMS fixed psi at the factory issues by using ABS sensors to determine if a tire is running at a different revs per mile. Audi, for example, let's you tell the CPU that the tp is correct at whatever you set it at.

PSI indicates the air volume in your tire. Ambient Temp goes down, psi goes down, volume of air goes down. It's the air volume that holds up your car.

Thanks all for the feedback/advice. I've come to realize that this was due to us having a cold snap this week in the Midwest and that the TPMS sensors were just doing their job. I filled all tires to 42 psi.

Back