TPMS and After Market 19" Winter Wheels/Tires

Worldwide Beagle

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
2023 AT Cosmos-Tahoe 21"
Spoke with an engineer at Lucid day before yesterday, Seattle service put me in touch. Tire Rack had told me that MANY winter tire wheel buyers DO NOT get TMPS for their winter beater set. Was told the Lucid TMPS are simple pressure warning only. (new fancier ones also have temp!)

Lucid engineering confirmed that TPMS was not required or necessary for a winter wheel set. The car will run just fine with no TMPS. He acknowledged that it was a pain in the ass having to recalibrate/reconnect the different TMPS sensors for winter summer switch over. Had no idea on a software update fix but he knew that MB had a user selectable feature for this.

In sum, he said, if not TPMS:
1. Car will run just fine.
2. the TPMS screen will show nothing (--) and a warning light will be lit.
3. My calculated "range" will be slightly off because when the Lucid tech connects a different set of TMPS, for the 19" wheels, he also changes the tire dimensions. BUT, the engineer said that going from 21 to 19, my range would go up.

I hope there will be an in car option to choose tire sizes like Porsche has. Going back to the dealer for tire size config is not the best solution.

Resurrecting this thread since the latest update allows you to change wheel size at the flick of your finger...
How hard would it be to get a second set of tires with TPMS calibrated? And would it be a one time thing that allows for a swap of tires and change of size on the console working with nothing else required?

I can confirm this is true.
I ordered my car with 19" wheels, but saw a chance to get pristine 21" wheels/rubber, right here in River City. (music man reference)
So I ran them (21" wheels) all last summer, living with the TPMS yellow warning light...no worries, after a bit I didn't even notice it. Only change I made was to carefully inspect the tires more frequently, and check the pressures manually weekly or before a trip. Good thing I did. Picked this thing up when visiting the still-not-open Lucid service center in KoP. Look at the tread in the 10 O'clock position:
PXL_20231024_142533766.jpg

Yes I heard it after just a few rotations. Went into the Lucid shop and found a drywall worker who lent me his pliers. So, you can run without TMPS, but be sure you do visual checks and manual tire pressure checks. Oh, and stay away from the Lucid Service parking lots. The one in KoP is strewn with tire hazards.

Swapped back to the 19" A/S wheels in this past fall and TPMS picked-up the signal no worries.
PXL_20231026_173539210.jpg

Can hardly wait for consistent above 40 degree (F) weather so I can get back on the 21's and see if the new TPMS toggle works!

Resurrecting this thread since the latest update allows you to change wheel size at the flick of your finger...
How hard would it be to get a second set of tires with TPMS calibrated? And would it be a one time thing that allows for a swap of tires and change of size on the console working with nothing else required?
Yes - you need to have Lucid program it once for size and type of tire (summer, all-season, snow) and then you can swap to them in the future without issue.

Yes - you need to have Lucid program it once for size and type of tire (summer, all-season, snow) and then you can swap to them in the future without issue.
Great info, thanks. Is there a certain frequency or manufacturer of TPMS unit we need? Since my aftermarket winter wheels are all assembled without TPMS, not sure its worth it to dismount and install TPMS until new tyres are needed.

If I had known this was going to be added, I would have put in TPMS when I did the new setup of winter tyres and wheels last fall. Nice to have, though.

Great info, thanks. Is there a certain frequency or manufacturer of TPMS unit we need? Since my aftermarket winter wheels are all assembled without TPMS, not sure its worth it to dismount and install TPMS until new tyres are needed.

If I had known this was going to be added, I would have put in TPMS when I did the new setup of winter tyres and wheels last fall. Nice to have, though.
No idea. That's a good question for service, and let us know what you find out. :)

Back