Touring production Exciting news

I am trying to decide whether to finalize my order. My current build is Zenith Red, Santa Cruz, DDPro, Surreal Sound, 20” Aero Lite wheels, glass canopy. The advisor says,
"That design fits the criteria perfectly. So, if you finalized your order, we’ll work to have your car delivered by end of year." But I would only want the Touring if I can get it done before the end of the year, and thus get the tax credit. If I was not going to get the tax credit, I'll just wait until next year and get the Pure that I also have on order. I just don't trust that they'll deliver the car before the end of the year, and once I confirm the payment, I guess I have no recourse if they don't get the car to me in order to get the tax rebate.
The one thing everyone agrees on is that if you do get your car before December 31st, you will get the tax credit.

If you get the car after December 31st, it's going to depend on the IRS and their interpretation. So maybe you get the tax credit? I still feel like that's unlikely.

If the tax credit is a deal breaker for you, you're taking quite the chance on them delivering by December 31st. I have my doubts that will happen for anyone with a Touring order. Miracles do happen, but that's basically 2 months from now, with holidays taking place in both months. Even if they are actually manufacturing Touring right now, that's still cutting it really close. I don't think they've changed over the assembly line just yet, though.

So the question is how comfortable are you with the risk? If they don't make it by December 31st, you can cancel and eat the $1k. Or you can take delivery early next year, see what the IRS says about the credit, and if that doesn't go your way, sell it? At that point, you could lose more than your 1k deposit, honestly. Resale value on these cars does not seem to be all that great right now.

Tough call.

The one thing everyone agrees on is that if you do get your car before December 31st, you will get the tax credit.

If you get the car after December 31st, it's going to depend on the IRS and their interpretation. So maybe you get the tax credit? I still feel like that's unlikely.

If the tax credit is a deal breaker for you, you're taking quite the chance on them delivering by December 31st. I have my doubts that will happen for anyone with a Touring order. Miracles do happen, but that's basically 2 months from now, with holidays taking place in both months. Even if they are actually manufacturing Touring right now, that's still cutting it really close. I don't think they've changed over the assembly line just yet, though.

So the question is how comfortable are you with the risk? If they don't make it by December 31st, you can cancel and eat the $1k. Or you can take delivery early next year, see what the IRS says about the credit, and if that doesn't go your way, sell it? At that point, you could lose more than your 1k deposit, honestly. Resale value on these cars does not seem to be all that great right now.

Tough call.
Your assessment is in line with mine: big risk with an expected delivery before Dec 31, and great deal of uncertainty with how the IRS would look at a delivery in 2023. At this point, I am strongly leaning to pass on the Touring and getting the Pure in due course. I have a Tesla M3P and EV6 GTline, so not feeling car deprived.

Hi @borski, Regarding sales & service locations now and in the future, why has the user friendly list of locations on the Lucid site disappeared and become replaced with a very user hostile map? Some future sites are on the map such as Corte Madera CA, but not others such as Rocklin CA. The projected dates for these sites is helpful when planning for sales taxes.
Dno, I don’t work for Lucid. Paging @Firstto520 / @mcr16

Your assessment is in line with mine: big risk with an expected delivery before Dec 31, and great deal of uncertainty with how the IRS would look at a delivery in 2023. At this point, I am strongly leaning to pass on the Touring and getting the Pure in due course. I have a Tesla M3P and EV6 GTline, so not feeling car deprived.
I am taking the chance. I added DDPro and changed interior. I ordered in Aug 2020 so I'm told I'm high on the Touring list. Guess we'll see.

I got a text from my SA yesterday to set up a call to go over my config. I'm guessing they're doing this because "Confirmed" orders can't edit their build anymore. I'll let you know what she says this afternoon, but this forum usually knows the same or a little more than the SA's. And I haven't received that email yet.
Did you ever hear anything about being able to edit your build as someone that confirmed your order before the tax credit? I'm in the same boat, where it just shows a PDF when I click on my confirmed order from August...

Tough call.
No VIN assignment for my GT order, so I presume the line has not been swapped.

When did you reserve?

Did you ever hear anything about being able to edit your build as someone that confirmed your order before the tax credit? I'm in the same boat, where it just shows a PDF when I click on my confirmed order from August...
You can edit your config when they give you the ability to actually place the order.

You can edit your config when they give you the ability to actually place the order.
I placed my order in August and am unable to change my order. You are just given the option to view your order. I want to upgrade to a Touring.
Lucid in Millbrae is aware of the problem.

I placed my order in August and am unable to change my order. You are just given the option to view your order. I want to upgrade to a Touring.
Lucid in Millbrae is aware of the problem.
I asked my SA about upgrade from Pure to Touring. He said first you need to up your deposit from $300 to $1000 (wire transfer), then he puts in a ticket to upgrade to Touring. Worked for me. Initially (immediately after wire transfer) it only showed that I'd made an additional partial payment on the Pure. A couple of days later my SA announced the upgrade had been recorded, and the PDF of my order now shows the Touring. So check in with your SA.

No VIN assignment for my GT order, so I presume the line has not been swapped.
If they're building the fully loaded Tourings first, what's to really swap about the line? All I can think of is the floor and battery are different and the seats aren't massaging. I'm sure there's more less obvious stuff, but most of the car is the same.

heh- I am one of the 'poor silver GT reservation holders. Just picked it up last weekend, and have to say- it was worth the wait. Best color, in my not-so-humble-opinion. Plus, (except for 2.0), I think they managed to work out most of the production kinks.
I have silver Touring on order (with stealth trim). So happy to hear you love this color!

If they're building the fully loaded Tourings first, what's to really swap about the line? All I can think of is the floor and battery are different and the seats aren't massaging. I'm sure there's more less obvious stuff, but most of the car is the same.
There's a lot of interior trim differences. No Alcantara, etc. The seats, as you mention. But yes. Not that much difference ultimately. I'm thinking the "fully loaded" Tourings can be done in batches, while they continue to slip in GTs in other batches as needed. But what do I know? I've never run a car company.

There's a lot of interior trim differences. No Alcantara, etc. The seats, as you mention. But yes. Not that much difference ultimately. I'm thinking the "fully loaded" Tourings can be done in batches, while they continue to slip in GTs in other batches as needed. But what do I know? I've never run a car company.

Is there a list of the other interior trim differences? You mention Alcantara. I'd be interested in what's different GT vs. Touring besides the lack of massaging seat and the Alcantara.

Is there a list of the other interior trim differences? You mention Alcantara. I'd be interested in what's different GT vs. Touring besides the lack of massaging seat and the Alcantara.
I don't know of any full list. I just look at the 3D models and can see some differences. You can definitely see the lack of Alcantara, for instance. On the compare page, it also describes the leather slightly differently.

GT: Selection of Extended Nappa Full-Grain leather interiors with natural wood trim and Alcantara inserts.
T: Selection of Nappa Full-Grain and Premium Natural Grain leather interiors with natural wood trim

What that suggests to me is that the seats don't only not have massage function. They also are made, at least in part, with a slightly different selection of leather.

Extended Nappa Full-Grain, Nappa Full-Grain, Premium Natural Grain are all capitalized for a reason. They are industry terms for different leather qualities.

I'm sure the Touring leather is fine; but it's not as "super fine" as the GT leather.

I don't know of any full list. I just look at the 3D models and can see some differences. You can definitely see the lack of Alcantara, for instance. On the compare page, it also describes the leather slightly differently.

GT: Selection of Extended Nappa Full-Grain leather interiors with natural wood trim and Alcantara inserts.
T: Selection of Nappa Full-Grain and Premium Natural Grain leather interiors with natural wood trim

What that suggests to me is that the seats don't only not have massage function. They also are made, at least in part, with a slightly different selection of leather.

Extended Nappa Full-Grain, Nappa Full-Grain, Premium Natural Grain are all capitalized for a reason. They are industry terms for different leather qualities.

I'm sure the Touring leather is fine; but it's not as "super fine" as the GT leather.
I think that the extendable thigh supports are not on the Touring.

Usually "extended" refers in auto speak to covering more surfaces (such as the lower portion of the dash). So likely it is two different forms of Nappa with one covering more areas.

Back