Top Gear's review of Lucid Air

That's a pretty damn good review.

Does it not amaze anyone how these reviews stay steadfastly clear of any comments regarding the software? I wonder if there isn't some agreement between Lucid and these reviewers that states if you want the car to review, no comments please on the software. I'll have far more respect for these reviews when they actually review the entire car that we mere mortals actually drive.

Does it not amaze anyone how these reviews stay steadfastly clear of any comments regarding the software? I wonder if there isn't some agreement between Lucid and these reviewers that states if you want the car to review, no comments please on the software. I'll have far more respect for these reviews when they actually review the entire car that we mere mortals actually drive.
If you look at the pictures, they have DreamDrive on the vehicle enabled. It's possible that they ensure the media vehicles are running a more bug-free version that hasn't been released yet. I also think that the majority of reviewers just assume software issues will be fixed with OTA. What cannot be fixed is the hardware part, which, while some of us owners experiencing some issues, the media vehicles probably do not have any hardware problems.

I completely agree. There is a way to acknowledge and give context so as not to be unfairly negative. But complete omission cannot be the right answer.

I completely agree. There is a way to acknowledge and give context so as not to be unfairly negative. But complete omission cannot be the right answer.
I think some of the issues with software aren't discovered in their drives though. For example, all the issues we are seeing with NAV and radio/streaming issues, these testers are probably not testing. They usually do not input a destination to navigate and mostly keep the radio off because they are filming inside the car. So if they are just using the basic functions, seat adjustments, A/C, car modes, etc these reviewers don't even run into the problems. Door locks? Nope, they get in test, film whatever, but don't use it daily or not even multiple times. Mobile key? Nope, I bet they just use the fob. So while they might not mention, I'm not even sure they are using the things the way we do as daily drivers...

It’s still a pre-production car that they’re all test driving so the software is probably different but yeah, at this stage of the game it’s telling that nothing about software is mentioned. I would say it’s a condition of the test drive that they’re not to mention anything about the software.

The review did mention "rear-view camera that lagged troublingly behind reality". Is this something existing owners have seen?

I think some of the issues with software aren't discovered in their drives though. For example, all the issues we are seeing with NAV and radio/streaming issues, these testers are probably not testing. They usually do not input a destination to navigate and mostly keep the radio off because they are filming inside the car. So if they are just using the basic functions, seat adjustments, A/C, car modes, etc these reviewers don't even run into the problems. Door locks? Nope, they get in test, film whatever, but don't use it daily or not even multiple times. Mobile key? Nope, I bet they just use the fob. So while they might not mention, I'm not even sure they are using the things the way we do as daily drivers...
I'm not so sure. Most other car reviews I read discuss details of the car inside & out. Video reviews certainly address these issues. I find it hard to believe that none of these reviewers have not once encountered any of the issues discussed in these threads. I still believe there's an agreement between Lucid & the reviewers to steer clear of this subject.

The other thing that's a bit disturbing is if the reviewers are actually getting a more polished version of the software, why not send that over to existing customers? If what you say is true, that would certainly be better than some of the software versions currently out there.

The review did mention "rear-view camera that lagged troublingly behind reality". Is this something existing owners have seen?
It depends on what he's referring to. The one thing that I've never had a problem with was the rear view camera, lol.

I'm not so sure. Most other car reviews I read discuss details of the car inside & out. Video reviews certainly address these issues. I find it hard to believe that none of these reviewers have not once encountered any of the issues discussed in these threads. I still believe there's an agreement between Lucid & the reviewers to steer clear of this subject.

The other thing that's a bit disturbing is if the reviewers are actually getting a more polished version of the software, why not send that over to existing customers? If what you say is true, that would certainly be better than some of the software versions currently out there.
True..but let's use a review that almost everyone here has watched. Doug Demuro's review...

He goes over the software quite in depth compared to other reviewers, but what issue would he be having during his review drive? He's talking the whole time so he's not using the radio or any streaming. Once he unlocks the car, it's booted up so it's not slow loading for him, like for us. He doesn't use a moblie key so no issues there. It didn't sound like he was using NAV so no issue there. If he doesn't set up his own profile, there is no driver monitoring failure.

I'm sure you guys are right about not mentioning it, but the point is that these reviewers only spend MAYBE a few hours in the car and they won't experience the car the same way.

What we really need is Jon Rettinger's video, someone who owns a car, makes videos and is living with it to go through it. His review will be better than any of these other car guys for usage. Top Gear does a great job for driving dynamics though.

Last edited:

Agree. All people talk about is: screen size, software, user interface, music, voice, app control, automation, autonomous when it comes to new cars and EV's especially. It's not reasonable to think someone could do a full review and not comment on any of these items accidentally. This is intentional.

Presumably Lucid would have a team at the reviewers' disposal to mitigate or explain away new problems found in the beta version on the review unit.

And of course all this is intentional. These reviews are advertising for Lucid, no less. The positive comments from owners on this forum who otherwise don't hold back describing problems with these cars are why I'm keeping my reservation.

Not a single reviewer has mentioned the excess motor and road noise. Those are not software issues.

Or, that IMHO, the DE is just not worth $169,000.

Not a single reviewer has mentioned the excess motor and road noise. Those are not software issues.

Yet 520 people snapped them up quite quickly

Yet 520 people snapped them up quite quickly
Yes, and I am one, BUT if I had been able to test drive a DE before I ordered, I would have declined.

I'm still not sure what you mean by the excess motor and road noise because no one else has mentioned that. Is that an issue with your car? Every other owner here seems to comment about how quiet the cabin in in comparable EVs

I'm still not sure what you mean by the excess motor and road noise because no one else has mentioned that. Is that an issue with your car? Every other owner here seems to comment about how quiet the cabin in in
comparable EVs

You may be correct that it's my car. My brother has an old Model S, and it is much more quiet on the road. I drove a new Mercedes S Class and it is very quiet and costs less. The newness of a super fast EV has worn off for me. Now I want a good EV daily driver and again, for me, the DE just falls short. That's why mine is up for sale.

Last edited:
Yea that might be an issue with your car. Hmp had a Model S Plaid he can compare directly to and has said the air is quieter inside than the Model S

Don't forget the Homelink issues...not to many garage tests :).

Back