toll tags/rfid on windshield

kort6776

Verified Owner
Cars
taycan Ipace Air GT
can anyone tell me about where on the windshield is the best spot to mount an EZPass tag and an RFID sticker to open a control gate?

I mounted my SunPass just to the left side of the rear view mirror, and the EZ Pass on the right side. Both of them are high up enough to be hidden behind the sun visors (you pretty much only see them when the sun visors are down) so there’s no visibility problem. In a year of driving, I’ve never experienced any glitch being read while passing through tollgates.

I've found the heat of the windshield is too much for the EZpass adhesive, so I pin it behind the passenger sun visor.

I mounted my SunPass just to the left side of the rear view mirror, and the EZ Pass on the right side. Both of them are high up enough to be hidden behind the sun visors (you pretty much only see them when the sun visors are down) so there’s no visibility problem. In a year of driving, I’ve never experienced any glitch being read while passing through tollgates.
fwiw: you only need one or the other pass. I use my PA ezpass on the toll roads in FL.

To be clear, I'm using the velcro/adhesive to attach it to the windshield, and the sun visor to hold it when the windshield gets so hot it melts the adhesive.
Never had a problem with it in that location ... from VA to Maine.

However, on a summer day you have to be careful using the sun visor, as the EZpass will fall into your lap a sticky mess.
I tried sticking it to the back of the driver screen, but it's too hot for the adhesive there too.
I think EZpass uses the same adhesive that was used to attach the heat tiles to the space shuttle:
"
The adhesive-bonding method used to secure heat-resistant ceramic tiles to the body of the Space Shuttle Columbia is known for its inability to withstand high temperatures, and should not be used exclusively in the construction of new space shuttles, "

or the concrete ceiling in the Boston Big Dig:

"The Big Dig ceiling collapse occurred on July 10, 2006, when a concrete ceiling panel and debris weighing 26 short tons and measuring 20 by 40 feet fell in Boston's Fort Point Channel Tunnel

You need a mechanical attachment. Humm... I need to bend a wire coat hanger into a shape so I can clip it onto the visor....

Last edited:
I tried sticking it to the back of the driver screen, but it's too hot for the adhesive there too.
I used this product - silicone case and adhesive strips - to attach to the back of my dash screen assembly:

And have had no issue so far, with either toll collection or transponder remaining in place. This includes several sunny summer days parked outside where cabin temps reached, IIRC, > 120 F.

IMG_1566.jpeg

There are precious threads on this which I followed. Mine is behind the glass cockpit in a black silicone sleeve.

fwiw: you only need one or the other pass. I use my PA ezpass on the toll roads in FL.
I heard that before but I was too lazy to take off the SunPass. In any case, neither one has fallen off, so I just leave them there.

I heard that before but I was too lazy to take off the SunPass. In any case, neither one has fallen off, so I just leave them there.
are you getting double billed?

I spray painted mine black and stuck it to the back of pilot panel.

Is privacy concerns the only thing stopping car manufacturers from installing a toll transponder in a car? It seems a very lightweight hardware installation, and you can log into your account from the pilot panel. (I currently have mine in the cupholder that doesn't fit a cup, and lift it up any time I go through a toll.)

My EZ Pass (originating in VA) would not work through the presumably metallic windshield coating. The most effective spot (though not most aesthetic) is the passenger side lower corner. There you will note a section of the windshield that is lacking the metallic coating.

In Texas you can ask for a license, plate tag, which is basically a RFID BAR that sits on your plate and it transmits once it gets hit by the scanners at the toll. Like below:

1710262268206.png

This is what I have on mine...

My EZ Pass (originating in VA) would not work through the presumably metallic windshield coating. The most effective spot (though not most aesthetic) is the passenger side lower corner. There you will note a section of the windshield that is lacking the metallic coating.
The windshield was revised since the days of DE. My Touring, build date 1/2023, doesn't have this issue. (Saying this for the benefit of people who may read this and worry that if they buy a newer Air they'll have a problem.)

Back