To Sapphire or to not?

The software is the main reason I'm on the "pause" button, too (with the boy racer looks and the loss of that beautiful Santa Monica interior in our Dream playing a lesser role). With the software problems I'm still seeing over eight months after taking delivery of our Dream P, I'm not sure another 6-12 months will mean a Sapphire without similar problems.

In terms of where I would use the extra power, it's not about more top-end speed or even acceleration off the line, as our Dream P already produces more oomph off the line than the tires can handle without traction control kicking in. It's more about that sense our Model S Plaid conveys of not being subject to the laws of inertia during dynamic maneuvers from speed that will come from the step up in power-to-weight ratio. But the Plaid delivers its punch without the handling, room, comfort, and chassis finesse the Sapphire will deliver. The Plaid is insanely quick. But without rear torque vectoring, with the excessive rear weight bias of its heavy dual-motor setup, with the hysteresis lag of an air suspension, and with the lower torsional stiffness of the body, the Plaid brings a lot more baggage to the party than the Lucid.
I agree but it is almost double the price… hence it goes back to ‘ is it worth it at this time ?’ I will not appreciate.. it will depreciate as well…. Up to you… buy cuz you want to experience for the few times that you have the need to step on it…. But that is about it…. Worth 250k (With sofware issue)? Up to you to decide….

I am single.. no wifey…. I have pulled the trigger on more expensive cars…. I am afraid to pull the trigger on the Sapphire. Once and if the software improves then 🤷🏻‍♂️

Here's another question. You can also keep the DEP and use the upgrade money elsewhere. Where would you spend it and which one would you be happier with?

I agree but it is almost double the price… hence it goes back to ‘ is it worth it at this time ?’

Actually, even the Dream P was priced beyond the point to which a rational cost/benefit analysis would bring you. So it's not really about cost for me.

For me, "at this time" is the operative question. I turn 71 this month and, while I'm in good health, I don't know how long I will have the capacity to make responsible use of a car with the Sapphire's capabilities. That gives me a different cast on things such as holding off on car purchases for further software developments or the next technical leap.

The calculus would be totally different if I were even a few years younger.

Only once in my life have I not opted to move up when a more powerful model of a car I owned and liked hit the market. When Tesla introduced the "Ludicrous" power upgrade over the P90D I already had, I just did not see the point. For the first time ever in my car-owning life, the car already had more power than I could use in the places I drove, and nothing else about the car was changed with the power upgrade.

The Sapphire presents a more complex question. It's similar to other Airs in many key features, but it also differs in ways that will make a fundamental (although incremental) difference to the driving experience, particularly related to rear torque vectoring and a change in power-to-weight ratio that will kick the Air into that rarified class of cars that seem to repeal the laws of inertia (as our Model S Plaid does). On the other hand, I'd be giving up a Dream Edition with a subtle exterior styling and an interior color palette that I like better than any car I have owned (and better than the Sapphire) -- and that already has stupendous dynamic performance.

The other complication is that I'm turning 71 this month, and I have a different perspective on waiting for even more enticing performance cars that I may no longer be able to drive safely in ways that make use of their capabilities. So the Sapphire might be my last chance.

Oh, what to do, what to do . . . ?

I've floated the idea of replacing the Plaid with the Sapphire and keeping the Air Dream as our second sedan, but it hasn't exactly caught traction on the home front, in part because neither of us is yet confident that Lucid will have its software woes worked out by the time the Sapphire hits the market.
Sorry, but this is a depressing narrative. Have you already bought your burial plot? If you have no serious health issues, I suggest you do a reboot of your future prospects. I am 3 year older than you and expect another 20 years of fun on the highway! By then it will probably be mostly autonomous driving!

do it. assert your dominance
I agree but it is almost double the price… hence it goes back to ‘ is it worth it at this time ?’ I will not appreciate.. it will depreciate as well…. Up to you… buy cuz you want to experience for the few times that you have the need to step on it…. But that is about it…. Worth 250k (With sofware issue)? Up to you to decide….

I am single.. no wifey…. I have pulled the trigger on more expensive cars…. I am afraid to pull the trigger on the Sapphire. Once and if the software improves then 🤷🏻‍♂️
do it! don't let your dreams be dreams! be a man, do the right thing!

software will improve by then. if not, can resale immediately for profit

Sorry, but this is a depressing narrative. Have you already bought your burial plot? If you have no serious health issues, I suggest you do a reboot of your future prospects. I am 3 year older than you and expect another 20 years of fun on the highway! By then it will probably be mostly autonomous driving!

Unfortunately, my partner who appeared as hale and hearty as anyone you could meet, was diagnosed with early-onset dementia in his mid-50s and died at 62. It kind of altered my perspective on assumptions about health and longevity.

It's funny, though, that you mentioned autonomous driving in this context. One of the reasons I bought my first Tesla seven years ago was that I wanted to try out the ADAS technology it was hyping (prematurely, as it turned out). My thought was that I would get used to it while I had all my faculties so I would find it more natural to use when I didn't. But then some friends pointed out that they've never been certain I ever had all my faculties and that I should just quit worrying about it.

do it. assert your dominance

do it! don't let your dreams be dreams! be a man, do the right thing!

software will improve by then. if not, can resale immediately for profit
Why dont you buy it? You live only once, no?

For me, like I said, once the software irons out, then I will seriously think about it. I honestly don’t think you can sell for profit anymore…. You have to pay $25k in taxes alone. Why would anyone pay $280k+ for a car plus tax when they can order themselves. Once the Sapphire is produced, I am sure Lucid will not be making you wait that long to get a you a new one to you since there is more profit in it for them than the Pure or the Touring.

Here I am about 40 years younger than both of you and thinking I'd be lucky to get another 10 years so I'm yoloing on the Lucid and potentially my last car (geez I hope the Lucid wont be THE reason it becomes my last car because of all these scary issues happening in the middle of the highway). Living and growing up with severe depression (which I didnt know about until 20's) at such an early age like 4 or 5 yrs old and normalizing at that state since it's all I knew for a long time. Of course I'd prefer to live as long as possible and nah no serious health problems but already having problems with learning and memory retention. Feels like Im wayyy older than my current age haha

Interesting audio interview with David Lickfold on the Sapphire's chassis development:

I think David Lickfold sounds like a really intelligent and gifted chassis and suspension engineer. I wonder how much he has to do with the phenomena owners describe of forgiving the car when they drive it again after a software frustration?

Great interview.

I think David Lickfold sounds like a really intelligent and gifted chassis and suspension engineer. I wonder how much he has to do with the phenomena owners describe of forgiving the car when they drive it again after a software frustration?

I certainly credit Lickfold with a lot of the reasons I put up with the software flubs. Rawlinson's role in the chassis and suspension engineering is not to be dismissed, either. He ran engineering at two automotive houses noted for sophisticated suspensions: Jaguar and Lotus. His determination to ignore criticism and abandon the utility of a hatchback for the more rigid structure of a separate trunk also provided a lot of the structural rigidity on which Lickfold's superb tuning could build -- not to mention that Rawlinson recognized and could recruit the kind of talent Lickfold brings to the table. On the other hand, Rawlinson is also answerable for releasing the car with a huge bucket of software problems, whereas Lickfold's record is not thus sullied.

This quote from the Motortrend review of the Air GT P
“Lucid's director of chassis and vehicle dynamics, David Lickfold, Turo'd himself a 991.2 Porsche GT3 RS and spent a weekend driving the two vehicles. Just him, by himself, working until the wee hours of the morning. David would do a run in the Porsche, then one in the Lucid, pull over, plug his laptop into the latter, and tweak away.”
The Sapphire is out of my league but if he was using a GT3 RS as a benchmark (weight and the laws of physics notwithstanding) it sounds mouthwatering.

Back