To ppf, or not to ppf. This is the question.

RM-S8

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
GT-P, Huracan
Very informative vid.
Especially coming out of the guy who is doing it for a living.

Yes, interesting. Can anyone who has had PPF on a car confirm or deny this? Also, what about ceramic? I don't have any experience with either.

Yeah, PPF doesn't suck. That shop that did that install sucks that's for certain. The shop you choose directly affects the outcome of your PPF and how it looks over time. In addition, you also need to be willing to accept that no PPF installation will ever be 100% perfect. EVER. If you can't accept that, PPF isn't for you. All of that said - this shop definitely didn't take the time to give any extra effort into this car.

Fair point.
The shop you/us are hiring makes a huge difference.
For my yellow Huracan i hired Detailing Dynsmics out of NY, they did a fantastic job wrapping all the sharp edges. Me happy. Btw, they did Lamborghini Veneno.
With my AGT-P i went to a local guy doing only a front, hood, sides. Mediocre job to say the least.
So, you are right, every shop differs.
But, the guy makes some very valid points, wouldn't you agree?

Yeah, PPF doesn't suck. That shop that did that install sucks that's for certain. The shop you choose directly affects the outcome of your PPF and how it looks over time. In addition, you also need to be willing to accept that no PPF installation will ever be 100% perfect. EVER. If you can't accept that, PPF isn't for you. All of that said - this shop definitely didn't take the time to give any extra effort into this car.
Gabe, I was just about to tag you for your opinion on this. I'm glad you chimed in.

Fair point.
The shop you/us are hiring makes a huge difference.
For my yellow Huracan i hired Detailing Dynsmics out of NY, they did a fantastic job wrapping all the sharp edges. Me happy. Btw, they did Lamborghini Veneno.
With my AGT-P i went to a local guy doing only a front, hood, sides. Mediocre job to say the least.
So, you are right, every shop differs.
But, the guy makes some very valid points, wouldn't you agree?
Agree that install was not great.
Also agree that he has valid points concerning what one does when rock chips or imperfections from bird droppings occur on installed PPF.
I had PPF installed on my touring but maybe would have been cheaper and looked better over the time of my ownership if did not install PPF and had touch up paint done for any rock chips that occur.

Yeah, that is a terrible templated install. The installer you pick really matters a lot.

As for the points on rock chips and bird etchings, the PPF did its job - you *can* rewrap the panel, and the paint is untouched. If you’re selling the car, you can remove the PPF and it is a brand new car that has never been touched up.

Most new PPF films are also somewhat self healing, but yes, remove bird poop from your car as soon as possible; that is true with or without PPF. Rock chips can leave marks; PPF isn’t somehow impervious material, lol.

It’s there to protect the paint. That’s exactly what it did. The edges coming up are from a terrible install. 🤷‍♂️

Back