Tire PSI seemingly/consistently dropping?

AirPlur

Cars
AP AWD, '02 Boxster S 6MT
I've been receiving TPMS warnings on my dash fairly consistently since delivery (around 2500 miles in the last 2 months), and this includes an extended servicing where the issue was noted/investigated and blamed on driving on uneven surfaces (parking on the lawn at Laguna Seca, once). They refilled the tires to spec, and a few weeks later once again their pressures have dipped to around 42 across the board from the 49 they were returned with, with one of them showing 32 PSI (via the app/pilot panel). I can't imagine a puncture would be to blame given the slow rate of deflation, not to mention it would have to basically be a cosmically miraculous equal puncture event across all tires. I maintain positive friendships with all of my exes as well, so I'm stumped.

Anyone else encounter anything that looks like this? Am I sadly going to join the one-service-per-1000-mile club and send her back again?

I've been receiving TPMS warnings on my dash fairly consistently since delivery (around 2500 miles in the last 2 months), and this includes an extended servicing where the issue was noted/investigated and blamed on driving on uneven surfaces (parking on the lawn at Laguna Seca, once). They refilled the tires to spec, and a few weeks later once again their pressures have dipped to around 42 across the board from the 49 they were returned with, with one of them showing 32 PSI (via the app/pilot panel). I can't imagine a puncture would be to blame given the slow rate of deflation, not to mention it would have to basically be a cosmically miraculous equal puncture event across all tires. I maintain positive friendships with all of my exes as well, so I'm stumped.

Anyone else encounter anything that looks like this? Am I sadly going to join the one-service-per-1000-mile club and send her back again?
Makes sense with the weight of the car, to me.

That's not right, they shouldn't go down that fast. My 49 reading slowly goes down to 48, then 47. By that time, the car feels different to drive, and I get them filled up again. Does it feel different at 42 than 49? I'm wondering if the TPMS reading is bad, or the tires themselves.

Three notes.
1) There are places on the forum outlining the low profile tires lose 2-3 psi a week. Temperature fluctuations can exacerbate this issue.
2) Given #1, I would suggest a handheld tire pressure blower. Electric ones can be had for under $200 and fairly quick to do once a week and protecting from tire bubbles.
3) TPMS sensor could be wrong. Manually verifying with #2 or one that only measures would be good.

Three notes.
1) There are places on the forum outlining the low profile tires lose 2-3 psi a week. Temperature fluctuations can exacerbate this issue.
2) Given #1, I would suggest a handheld tire pressure blower. Electric ones can be had for under $200 and fairly quick to do once a week and protecting from tire bubbles.
3) TPMS sensor could be wrong. Manually verifying with #2 or one that only measures would be good.

1) Wow, this is education to me since I've never owned a vehicle that ever required re-inflation ever.
2) Sounds like I know what I actually need for the holidays this year. Finally my wife can feel like she's with a real man since she's finally able to buy me an xmas gift from Home Depot.
3) Agreed.

Appreciate the tips y'all!

1) Wow, this is education to me since I've never owned a vehicle that ever required re-inflation ever.
Literally every vehicle requires reinflation when it gets cold. That's just basic physics.

That said, they don't normally lose that much that fast.

Her style as far as getting a point across isn't really a subtle, prolonged, anonymous signal
Lucid really needs to implement sentry mode so we could determine the culprit!

*recording shows you sleep deflating your tires*

Literally every vehicle requires reinflation when it gets cold. That's just basic physics.

That said, they don't normally lose that much that fast.
There was a great article from a general southern newspaper that came across my feed a month or so ago. The headline was : Why are all our TPMS going off? Seems the area went from warm to below freezing overnight. And all local car dealers were flooded with calls.

Especially in this economy
Best comment of the day. Also, when you take a look at your tire pressure readings in the car, I noticed that the numbers when they are first presented in the first 5-10 minutes aren't as accurate. The readings stabilize after 15 minutes or so if driving at low speeds around town under 30 mph or sooner if you hit the highway at 40 mph or faster. The stabilized reading seems to the more accurate TPMS readings of the tires and stays at those numbers until you park.

Best comment of the day. Also, when you take a look at your tire pressure readings in the car, I noticed that the numbers when they are first presented in the first 5-10 minutes aren't as accurate. The readings stabilize after 15 minutes or so if driving at low speeds around town under 30 mph or sooner if you hit the highway at 40 mph or faster. The stabilized reading seems to the more accurate TPMS readings of the tires and stays at those numbers until you park.
Yep noticed that as well, though unfortunately it still comes up quite a bit short of spec after a full hour+ of driving. I've spent the last hour researching portable air compressors in resignation, but hey worse ways to spend $50 at costco.com

Are you positive they feel the same way? 😅

This is normal. The tire will warm as you drive and as the air in the tire warms, the pressure will increase by about 4 PSI. You should set your pressure when your tires are cold before driving.

I think I use the Ryobi kind. It is blue. There is also a green brand. Either one really works and does the job. If you have one set of tools already, choose that one for battery compatibility.

Or do what I did... Get the exact opposite because your electric lawn mower is one brand with a special battery connection vs power tools being another. Then you forget to buy the charger and battery to go with it... So you have to drive back for the second time just to inflate your tires...

I think I use the Ryobi kind. It is blue. There is also a green brand. Either one really works and does the job. If you have one set of tools already, choose that one for battery compatibility.

Or do what I did... Get the exact opposite because your electric lawn mower is one brand with a special battery connection vs power tools being another. Then you forget to buy the charger and battery to go with it... So you have to drive back for the second time just to inflate your tires...
Isnt Ryobi usually green?(lime ish)

As @Worldwide Beagle is fond of reminding us, TPMS are not accurate. They aren’t designed to be accurate. They are designed to detect sudden drops in pressure, to let you know you have a slow leak, a not-so-slow leak, etc.

There’s no substitute for a proper pressure gauge. And with an EV especially, you should be checking your pressure every few weeks. And especially when the temperature changes rapidly, or just before a road trip. It’ll make a big difference to your efficiency on longer trips.

Back