Tips needed - Planning 1500 Miles round trip

SM_NCarolina

Verified Owner
Cars
LUCID GT
I'm planning to take Lucd AGT on a round trip of 1500 Miles. The route is not a busy travel route. I need your tips to:
1. Plan the route, what to keep in mind and include.
2. Any suggestions on what to do if issues occured enroute.
and more...

Any prep suggestions, tips or wild idea are welcome.

If you have it, a Teslatap or equivalent to give you the possibility of a Tesla destination charger if you get in a bad spot and need a top up.
Yes we have a Tesla and now the app allows to charge non Tesla on the app. I'll have to find out there are any charges that we can leverage.

What is your route. Try finding hotels with level 2 charging. Plugshare a a special filter setting for this.
Charlotte NC to New Orleans 😁 researching plugshare for chargers. It's not so intuitive on first lol but will play more in coming days and plan. We are planning a night stop, will look for hotel with L2. Good suggestion.

Charlotte NC to New Orleans 😁 researching plugshare for chargers. It's not so intuitive on first lol but will play more in coming days and plan. We are planning a night stop, will look for hotel with L2. Good suggestion.
Yes, I find the PlugShare and ABRP User Interface design quite confusing. A perfect example of what happens when a developer just throws everything onto a screen without really thinking about which functions and information are most important.

We did a 9k+-mile road trip last summer in an EV6, and running ABRP and Plugshare in tandem was a daily routine. I learned very quickly that I shouldn't t rely on ABRP alone as it sometimes suggested we stop at stations that were undesirable in some way. Always use Plugshare to verify the functionality of suggested stops.

I generally did this at the end of the day, getting ready for the next driving day: First tell ABRP where you are and where you're going. It will plot the route it thinks is optimal for the conditions you give it (fewer but longer charging stops / more but shorter charging stops / etc) and flag the places it thinks you should stop. Then open Plugshare and have a look at the condition of the charging stations that ABRP is suggesting you visit. Are the stations actually up? Are people charging there successfully? There's generally enough play in the locations of the suggested charging stops that you can opt for others that look like they might be better in some way -- access to food or other amenities, close to a point of interest, higher-power charging stations, whatever. Based on this, you can get a list of places to stop and charge. The next day, program your charging stops as destinations in your car's navigation system an Bob's your uncle (though we used Apple Maps since the EV6 nav system is absolute kaka). It was unusual for us to stop more than twice in a day because we generally liked to keep our miles under 350 or so.

- Atlanta, GA and Montgomery, AL are your major quick stops for DCFC.

- Have J-1772 to Tesla adapter for Level-2 Tesla destination charger.

- If you plan to use use AirBnB, have Nema 14-30 adapter and extension cord or charging cable extension to use their dryer outlet.

- Get tire repair kit for backup and hope you never need it.

- You will pass forest areas of Alabama and Mississippi with limited or no cellular signal, you can load some songs on your phone to listen In Bluetooth connection and prepare to say goodbye to Tidal and Spotify.

You will pass forest areas of Alabama and Mississippi with limited or no cellular signal, you can load some songs to listen In Bluetooth connection and prepare to say goodbye to Tidal and Spotify.
Or load some songs onto a USB drive and plug that in for areas without cell coverage.

I'm planning to take Lucd AGT on a round trip of 1500 Miles. The route is not a busy travel route. I need your tips to:
1. Plan the route, what to keep in mind and include.
2. Any suggestions on what to do if issues occured enroute.
and more...

Any prep suggestions, tips or wild idea are welcome.
I’ve done Greenville, SC to New Orleans. There are plenty of EA chargers on that route if you are going interstate.
Also, there are lots of level 2 chargers in NO.

I charge to 100% the night before and I usually stop to charge at 40-50% and charge to 80-85%.
This way if I have a problem at an EA station I have the range to go to the next EA station or an alternate charger.
Results in more stops, but they are all relatively short.
Plug share has been very reliable and you can filter for level2 or 3 or show both. ChargePoint is nice to have so you are ready to go if you need to use a ChargePoint location.
At EA stations, I don’t worry about 350 vs 150 charger. My experience the 150s are more reliable and since I am usually in 40s or lowest 30s state of charge, the charge time difference is negligible.

Have fun. The Air is a great road trip car.

- Atlanta, GA and Montgomery, AL are your major quick stops for DCFC.

- Have J-1772 to Tesla adapter for Level-2 Tesla destination charger.

- If you plan to use use AirBnB, have Nema 14-30 adapter and extension cord or charging cable extension to use their dryer outlet.

- Get tire repair kit for backup and hope you never need it.

- You will pass forest areas of Alabama and Mississippi with limited or no cellular signal, you can load some songs on your phone to listen In Bluetooth connection and prepare to say goodbye to Tidal and Spotify.
Also, get EZspare and a jack.

I’ve done Greenville, SC to New Orleans. There are plenty of EA chargers on that route if you are going interstate.
Also, there are lots of level 2 chargers in NO.

I charge to 100% the night before and I usually stop to charge at 40-50% and charge to 80-85%.
This way if I have a problem at an EA station I have the range to go to the next EA station or an alternate charger.
Results in more stops, but they are all relatively short.
Plug share has been very reliable and you can filter for level2 or 3 or show both. ChargePoint is nice to have so you are ready to go if you need to use a ChargePoint location.
At EA stations, I don’t worry about 350 vs 150 charger. My experience the 150s are more reliable and since I am usually in 40s or lowest 30s state of charge, the charge time difference is negligible.

Have fun. The Air is a great road trip car.
And set HA to 5 over the limit and relax without bothering to look in the rear view mirror for a cop or using a radar detector. The range is so much better at 70mph vs 80mph.

Some great tips provided above. I find ABRP a little conservative concerning battery consumption. If it says I will use 50% of the battery, I usually use 45%. This is on 400 mile trips. Never plan on charging at the last possible charger, it may not be working.

I have planned this trip a few times. I have made this trip several times, but not in my Lucid. If you are not set on your route and go where the apps tell you, it should be easy, especially if you go through Atlanta (almost no other way) and then through Montgomery, AL, Mobile, AL and on to New Orleans. If you are going through Atlanta, Birmingham, Tuscaloosa and down through Mississippi, it is much more difficult. The trip is a LONG one-day trip and I almost would not do it in the Lucid as having to charge will make it that much longer. I would take it easy and plan for a two day trip with overnight charging at some point. You can do it in Auburn, AL or Montgomery, AL. There are quite a few places to choose from on that route. Auburn is almost exactly half way and I know of a couple hotels there with chargers. It is 370 miles from Charlotte to Auburn, so you should make it without stopping in Atlanta. I would charge at the Gulfport Outlets for as long as you can tolerate doing a little shopping just to make finding a place to charge in New Orleans a bit less stressful.

I have not found many chargers actually in New Orleans at all unless you can find and stay at a hotel that provides one. I am in New Orleans once a month. I will be there again in a couple weeks, back the first week in May. My in-laws live there, my son is at Tulane med school and we own a condo just off Magazine. BE VERY CAREFUL driving a Lucid in New Orleans. The roads are terrible, especially in the Garden District where the Oaks control the topography. Just walking down the sidewalk is treacherous. There are a couple chargers being installed down at Audubon Park and one at the Whole Foods, but most are at hotels, a few in parking decks.

I have planned this trip a few times. I have made this trip several times, but not in my Lucid. If you are not set on your route and go where the apps tell you, it should be easy, especially if you go through Atlanta (almost no other way) and then through Montgomery, AL, Mobile, AL and on to New Orleans. If you are going through Atlanta, Birmingham, Tuscaloosa and down through Mississippi, it is much more difficult. The trip is a LONG one-day trip and I almost would not do it in the Lucid as having to charge will make it that much longer. I would take it easy and plan for a two day trip with overnight charging at some point. You can do it in Auburn, AL or Montgomery, AL. There are quite a few places to choose from on that route. Auburn is almost exactly half way and I know of a couple hotels there with chargers. It is 370 miles from Charlotte to Auburn, so you should make it without stopping in Atlanta. I would charge at the Gulfport Outlets for as long as you can tolerate doing a little shopping just to make finding a place to charge in New Orleans a bit less stressful.

I have not found many chargers actually in New Orleans at all unless you can find and stay at a hotel that provides one. I am in New Orleans once a month. I will be there again in a couple weeks, back the first week in May. My in-laws live there, my son is at Tulane med school and we own a condo just off Magazine. BE VERY CAREFUL driving a Lucid in New Orleans. The roads are terrible, especially in the Garden District where the Oaks control the topography. Just walking down the sidewalk is treacherous. There are a couple chargers being installed down at Audubon Park and one at the Whole Foods, but most are at hotels, a few in parking decks.
Thanks for the detailed route plan and great advice here. This is very helpful 🙂

Thanks for the detailed route plan and great advice here. This is very helpful 🙂
Well, send me a DM if you want any local recs. Like I said above, I spend a good deal of time in NOLA.

If you have it, a Teslatap or equivalent to give you the possibility of a Tesla destination charger if you get in a bad spot and need a top up.
How do you access power at a Tesla station?

Back