Time to put some specs into perspective

I hope the Gravity has better software. I hope those SW improvements waterfall to the Air as well. I like my Air's mechanical performance. But the SW on it is not ready for prime-time and Lucid's response (on SW improvements) has been dismal!

If you had bought an early Dream Edition as we did you would understand how vastly improved its current software is through a large number of frequent updates.

In fact, at this point I prefer the overall user control package (i. e., the mix of software and manual controls) of our Air over our 2021 Model S Plaid.

I’ve been pleased with the OTA pace and the current version is very solid; quite ready for prime time.
Certainly respect Bobby's opinion. I haven't driven my Lucid Air in 2 months (out-of-state). I've been updating the OTAs but have not seen how the latest version performs. Will try it out next week.

Lucid really has to get its act together. The current sales run-rate cannot sustain the business. And competition is growing. Lucid has some good intellectual assets and we all want to see Lucid succeed. Time is of the essence!

Certainly respect Bobby's opinion. I haven't driven my Lucid Air in 2 months (out-of-state). I've been updating the OTAs but have not seen how the latest version performs. Will try it out next week.

Lucid really has to get its act together. The current sales run-rate cannot sustain the business. And competition is growing. Lucid has some good intellectual assets and we all want to see Lucid succeed. Time is of the essence!
2.1.42 is very good indeed!

Gravity should fix that sales run-rate, obviously. Reservations should open in the first half of 2024.

Just some basic facts and figures about the current available crop of 7 seat SUVs. Added in the Air for curiosity sake

Exterior Dimensions (HWL)Cargo (cu ft)Battery Size (largest kwh)EPA Miles (longest)EfficiencyHP0-60Towing (up to)
Lucid Air55.4 x 76.2 x 195.964.8 + 101125164.618193.00
Lucid Gravity65.2 x 78.7 x 198.2112 + 8120440+3.66800+3.56000
Tesla Model X66 x 78.7 x 199.192.3 + 6.61003483.486703.85000
Rivian R1S77 x 82 x 201104.7 + 111494002.688353.5-4.57700
MB EQS SUV67.6 x 77.1 x 201.874.0 + 0108.42852.635364.53500
Volvo EX9068.8 x 77.3 x 198.367.6 + 1.1111.03002.704964.74850
Kia EV969.1 x 77.9 x 197.482 + 3.299.82702.713795.75000
As much as we like to compare the spec between the Gravity and SUVs on the table above, there is not direct competitor on the table. The Gravity is a 7-seat performance luxury SUV. Note performance luxury. The closest competitor in the performance category is the Model X. The closest competitor in the luxury category is the Merc. EQS SUV. Some might argue that R1S is competitor. The R1S is more utility then luxury.

The Gravity will answer a lot of your concerns. In the future, a smaller platform SUV and car will be included as well. I’m feeling very positive about this company and I sense they’re at a turning point.

The R1S is more utility then luxury.

I disagree, most people buying R1S are doing so as a luxurious family hauler with no requirement for off-roading. The interior quality and materials are on par with lucid. That being said, there was also not much competition before, and the model X was a lot more expensive. I think the lucid will take a lot of sales from R1S if they can get it to market and scale up asap

Gravity ASP TBD is fine. Once you added the pricing of the other entries, the price/performance/feature of the Gravity's competitiveness should be self-evident.

The overall challenge for Lucid as a viable business is its small market share, which in part, can be attributed to its premium pricing. It is hard to sell only a few thousands cars a quarter and sustain the development and marketing effort needed for state-of-the-art cars.

I hope the Gravity has better software. I hope those SW improvements waterfall to the Air as well. I like my Air's mechanical performance. But the SW on it is not ready for prime-time and Lucid's response (on SW improvements) has been dismal!
We didn’t get to play with the software. It was mentioned that the Sapphire processor is over 5x the previous airs and the Gravity is 20x the Sapphire. The Gravity will definitely have features the current Airs will never see.

I disagree, most people buying R1S are doing so as a luxurious family hauler with no requirement for off-roading. The interior quality and materials are on par with lucid. That being said, there was also not much competition before, and the model X was a lot more expensive. I think the lucid will take a lot of sales from R1S if they can get it to market and scale up asap
The Rivian is definitely a nice car, but it is certainly not a true seven passenger vehicle. That third row is not a comfortable place to be for adults.

The R1S looks nice from the inside. Unfortunately you have to approach it from the outside to get in. 😂

. . . most people buying R1S are doing so as a luxurious family hauler with no requirement for off-roading.

This is probably true. However, one of the reasons I canceled my R1S Launch Edition reservation after 4 1/2 years of waiting was that I finally realized that so much of what made it a good off-roading vehicle (including its weight, four motors, short wheelbase) were reasons I would be happier with something else.

The Gravity will answer a lot of your concerns. In the future, a smaller platform SUV and car will be included as well. I’m feeling very positive about this company and I sense they’re at a turning point.
The main competitors in Lucid's space (luxury sedan/SUV) are MB, BMW, Tesla, Genesis, maybe one or two others. All of these competitors have much broader product offerings with which they can amortize their development costs (e.g., SW). Someone more capable than I should do a thoughtful analysis; what is the total market size in Lucid's segments? What is a realistic addressable size within those segments Lucid can capture.

Derek Jenkins stated that there is a huge market opportunity for a 7-seat performance luxury SUV which is true There are only a handful of performance luxury SUV (ICE and EV) that could seat 7 comfortably.

Derek Jenkins stated that there is a huge market opportunity for a 7-seat performance luxury SUV which is true There are only a handful of performance luxury SUV (ICE and EV) that could seat 7 comfortably.
If you want an EV that can carry 6 to 7 adult passengers comfortably, maybe the VW ID BUZZ is the answer. It is not "luxury", but it can carry the 6-7 passengers comfortably. :)

One of the limitations is how long you can make the SUV. Most SUVs are in the 200' length range. The Chevy Suburban is 225"!

I think an EV Van/SUV has some advantages over an ICE design as it doesn't have a long front hood/compartment (like the Suburban).

I hadn’t been paying much attention to the EV SUV landscape until recently. I’m even more optimistic now about Gravity’s chances. The competition is fairly lame.

The only reason I could see for not going Gravity over any other similar vehicle would be money.

The pricing is lower than I expected, though. So even there I think they will be quite competitive.

Or maybe if the styling isn’t your cup of tea. (Though personally I think it looks better than any SUV out there.)

I will shun anyone who doesn’t think the Gravity is a polished beautiful work of automotive art. Life is too short to deal with people with poor taste.😜😜

The id buzz has the BIGGEST third row I have seen in any car. I witnessed a reviewer, 5 9 in height, comfortably cross his legs in it, which is simply unbelievable. It is too bad that it is underpowered for the majority of potential gravity owners here and the software will likely be pathetic.

From what I’ve seen, the lucid air doesn’t do 4.6 in the real world. And is closer to 3.6/3.7 (which is still good). But I assume the Gravity in that case will do high 2s, putting it in line or slightly ahead of the rivian. I have an R1T, and it’s very easy to hit the epa range in those. They aren’t inflated like Tesla/lucid
I do 4.2+ in the real world in my Lucid Air Touring. Just moderate your driving style. This is true of all EV’s.

Attachments

• 7B033EBA-15CD-4237-A27D-2D2E1C47E2FD.jpeg
    7B033EBA-15CD-4237-A27D-2D2E1C47E2FD.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 40
Just some basic facts and figures about the current available crop of 7 seat SUVs. Added in the Air for curiosity sake

Exterior Dimensions (HWL)Cargo (cu ft)Battery Size (largest kwh)EPA Miles (longest)EfficiencyHP0-60Towing (up to)
Lucid Air55.4 x 76.2 x 195.964.8 + 101125164.618193.00
Lucid Gravity65.2 x 78.7 x 198.2112 + 8120440+3.66800+3.56000
Tesla Model X66 x 78.7 x 199.192.3 + 6.61003483.486703.85000
Rivian R1S77 x 82 x 201104.7 + 111494002.688353.5-4.57700
MB EQS SUV67.6 x 77.1 x 201.874.0 + 0108.42852.635364.53500
Volvo EX9068.8 x 77.3 x 198.367.6 + 1.1111.03002.704964.74850
Kia EV969.1 x 77.9 x 197.482 + 3.299.82702.713795.75000
Thank you for compiling this. Very helpful! There are two segments here, 1.) Lucid and 2.) everyone else.

The id buzz has the BIGGEST third row I have seen in any car. I witnessed a reviewer, 5 9 in height, comfortably cross his legs in it, which is simply unbelievable. It is too bad that it is underpowered for the majority of potential gravity owners here and the software will likely be pathetic.
The Buzz is also gigantic compared to Gravity. I don’t know how much bigger it is literally, but having looked at both of them within 30 minutes of each other, I can say the impression is that the Buzz is a bus, whereas Gravity feels like a slightly bulkier Air.

Here are ID Buzz dimensions:
  • Width excluding exterior mirrors: 1,985 mm
  • Height: 1,937 mm (Cargo: 1,938 mm)
  • Length: 4,712 mm
  • Wheelbase: 2,988 mm
  • Load sill: 632 mm
In imperial measurement:
  • Width excluding exterior mirrors: 78.14 in
  • Height: 76.25 in (Cargo: 76.29 in)
  • Length: 185.51 in
  • Wheelbase: 117.63 in
  • Load sill: 24.88 in
The Gravity is longer overall. ID Buzz is taller overall.

Here are ID Buzz dimensions:
  • Width excluding exterior mirrors: 1,985 mm
  • Height: 1,937 mm (Cargo: 1,938 mm)
  • Length: 4,712 mm
  • Wheelbase: 2,988 mm
  • Load sill: 632 mm
In imperial measurement:
  • Width excluding exterior mirrors: 78.14 in
  • Height: 76.25 in (Cargo: 76.29 in)
  • Length: 185.51 in
  • Wheelbase: 117.63 in
  • Load sill: 24.88 in
The Gravity is longer overall. ID Buzz is taller overall.
Wait, what? Are you sure those are the LWB versions with the third row instead of the SWB?
(LWB is 196 inches long, but looks more like a van probably because of its shape. Actually shorter than gravity, which is impressive. However, third row doesn’t fold flat, still good cargo capacity due to van like height)

Back