The Drive review: Awesome car but the software…

I guess I’m in the minority, no significant software issues, would very much like to have some added convenience features, like open my garage door as I approach as my Tesla used to do, but I’m committed to being patient as I’m sure these are in development. I agree with an earlier comment that was made about focusing on fixing what’s on the street, and not worrying about the next Pure edition before this one is cleaned up.

"I have not had ANY software issues or glitches."
(for those who count these things)

I have to agree. I have had relatively few software issues thus far. I fully respect and believe others who are experiencing these problems, but I am not seeing much of anything with my own car, other than the occasional glitch.
After 9 weeks of ownership and 756 miles, I just encountered my first glitch yesterday from my Touring. I pulled the car out of the garage so I could get my mower out and then was going to put her back in and the glass cockpit was dark, all of it. No visible power, car wouldn't move. I was able to open door and get out. I then called service. He had me do a double press on the key fob and she did wake up. When I went through the same sequence putting the mower back in the garage the exact thing happened. The individual I talked to wanted me to call again if this persisted so, I did. The battery level was only down to 40%. Once in the garage I noticed the lights flashing on and off as though the power was intermittently returning and then off. Has anyone else had this to happen and did you find out the issue and if so, how was it resolved? Thank you.

After 9 weeks of ownership and 756 miles, I just encountered my first glitch yesterday from my Touring. I pulled the car out of the garage so I could get my mower out and then was going to put her back in and the glass cockpit was dark, all of it. No visible power, car wouldn't move. I was able to open door and get out. I then called service. He had me do a double press on the key fob and she did wake up. When I went through the same sequence putting the mower back in the garage the exact thing happened. The individual I talked to wanted me to call again if this persisted so, I did. The battery level was only down to 40%. Once in the garage I noticed the lights flashing on and off as though the power was intermittently returning and then off. Has anyone else had this to happen and did you find out the issue and if so, how was it resolved? Thank you.
This may deserve its own thread

Hi, @Edward.

Thanks for sharing. I just sent you a DM.

I had complained some time ago that most reviews on the Lucid curiously made no reference to the many software issues we read about on these many threads. This was one of the first that did and I found it refreshingly honest. I think honest reviews like this provide and even greater impetus for manufacturers to address issues. I know Lucid is addressing these issues, but lighting an additional fire can’t hurt.

With my Pure RWD reservation having hit the 2 year mark, the practical side of me is glad I’ll be at the end of the line in terms of actually being asked to firm up an order. Hopefully by that time the many concerning software stories I read about here will have dwindled down to a scant few.

My current i4 has been so trouble free and enjoyable, I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t be concerned if I were to step into a Pure today…as tempted as I’d be nonetheless.
I have GT for 8 months by now. Software still the biggest problem for me. I can't believe there are so many bugs and lack of features. Software
improvement is slow.

I have GT for 8 months by now. Software still the biggest problem for me. I can't believe there are so many bugs and lack of features. Software
improvement is slow.
What bugs are you experiencing? What features are lacking? Please give a few of each. I am collecting data on this and would like to include your opinion.

What bugs are you experiencing? What features are lacking? Please give a few of each. I am collecting data on this and would like to include your opinion.
1. informtament system takes 10+ sec to fully turn on after you sit in driver seat. sometime need to be reset. if you start driving before center screen is ready, the navigation may not work.
2. surround view camera is not available half of time when backing out of garage or packing lot.
3. press Homelink buttom sometime cause garage door close then immediately open again.
backing car out of garage, driver has to close the camera to get to homelink buttom.

4. Sometime door can't be open from outside, it has to be pull from inside.

lack of software features. Comparing to the Tesla model S I had.

1. informtament system takes 10+ sec to fully turn on after you sit in driver seat. sometime need to be reset. if you start driving before center screen is ready, the navigation may not work.
I haven’t seen or heard of this issue. What steps have you taken to resolve it? Have you tried a full logo reset? If none of that works, I would mention that the service.
2. surround view camera is not available half of time when backing out of garage or packing lot.
The camera takes about 40 seconds to boot up from the time you wake the car. I agree, that is too long and needs to be optimized in a future update.
3. press Homelink buttom sometime cause garage door close then immediately open again.
This may be caused by the LiDAR reflecting off of your safety sensors at the bottom of the garage door track. Consider adding a small piece of foil or something to block the LIDAR from activating the receiver. You might also consider something like this (depending on the brand): Sensor Sun Shade for Genie Brand Garage Door Block Style Sensors, Sensor Shield, Sun Blocker, Black https://a.co/d/d4Dr8fM
backing car out of garage, driver has to close the camera to get to homelink buttom.
Yes, many of us have been harping on Lucid to change this functionality but so far, we have to make a few extra clicks.
This sounds like a hardware problem. Service will replace your door latch assembly or whatever is the problem.
Yes, the Tesla software has a 10 year head start and is much more mature. This is why is extremely important for perspective owners to test drive the car and see if those things matter.

thanks for asking

I haven’t seen or heard of this issue. What steps have you taken to resolve it? Have you tried a full logo reset? If none of that works, I would mention that the service.

The camera takes about 40 seconds to boot up from the time you wake the car. I agree, that is too long and needs to be optimized in a future update.

This may be caused by the LiDAR reflecting off of your safety sensors at the bottom of the garage door track. Consider adding a small piece of foil or something to block the LIDAR from activating the receiver. You might also consider something like this (depending on the brand): Sensor Sun Shade for Genie Brand Garage Door Block Style Sensors, Sensor Shield, Sun Blocker, Black https://a.co/d/d4Dr8fM

Yes, many of us have been harping on Lucid to change this functionality but so far, we have to make a few extra clicks.

This sounds like a hardware problem. Service will replace your door latch assembly or whatever is the problem.

Yes, the Tesla software has a 10 year head start and is much more mature. This is why is extremely important for perspective owners to test drive the car and see if those things matter.
I was Tesla model S owner and a high tech professional. One of the reason I like tesla and recommeded to all my friends is the software features. Lucid drive better than Tesla, but I can't recommend Lucud until it software catch up to 80% of tesla.
yes, I tried logo reset.
I also compare the instrument panel design of Lucid to my 2021 Corvette C8, both are sports car like, but Lucid's instrument panel provide little info to driver. it should be easy to fix.
I will be glad to provide you more info if we can discuss more. I wish lucid can be as successful as Tesla.

I was Tesla model S owner and a high tech professional. One of the reason I like tesla and recommeded to all my friends is the software features. Lucid drive better than Tesla, but I can't recommend Lucud until it software catch up to 80% of tesla.
yes, I tried logo reset.
I also compare the instrument panel design of Lucid to my 2021 Corvette C8, both are sports car like, but Lucid's instrument panel provide little info to driver. it should be easy to fix.
I will be glad to provide you more info if we can discuss more. I wish lucid can be as successful as Tesla.
Read the wishlist at www.lucidupdate.com. Much of this has already been covered. The Lucid is a way better car, the Tesla a better laptop.

Read the wishlist at www.lucidupdate.com. Much of this has already been covered. The Lucid is a way better car, the Tesla a better laptop.
Lucid not only needs to build a better car, but also a better laptop. today's car is a computer on wheels. All future cars are controlled by computers. If a car company can't program a laptop perfectly, it can't produce a modern car.

Lucid not only needs to build a better car, but also a better laptop. today's car is a computer on wheels. All future cars are controlled by computers. If a car company can't program a laptop perfectly, it can't produce a modern car.
disagree, but everyone has their own preference.

While this is likely an oversimplification, I think there are 2 general camps here. For those individuals who have careers in tech or who are extremely savvy and love all things tech , the software is probably much more important to them. Perhaps for those of us who do not work directly in tech and who do not fully grasp all the intricacies of tech, these things are not quite as important.
I love the car because the way it drives and the relaxing feeling it gives me behind the wheel. I understand and I am comfortable with just about all the tech in the car and I really love it. Yes, things need to be improved but for the last few months the software has been wonderful for me. It has been stable, easy to use, intuitive and it works.
Don’t get me wrong, the future of automobiles will obviously be driven by technology , but there are still some intangibles of driving that are really important. Yea, the extra clicks to close the garage may be irksome , but the ride quality and enjoyment for the other 59 out of 60 minutes compensates, for me anyway.

I work in tech. And believe me, the Lucid’s software design is quite a bit better than Tesla’s.

The Tesla is more mature. No denying that. More features. Many of them stupid gimmicks. But some genuinely good ideas that I totally want Lucid to steal. But their design leaves quite a bit to be desired, in terms of what an actual driver needs while actually driving.

So yeah, if you’re the type of person who judges software platforms by a checklist of features, go for the Tesla. If you care more about the driving experience, Lucid is the way to go. It’s just a matter of time before Lucid adds a few key ingredients they are currently lacking. Tesla’s design, meanwhile, will never improve. Because they care about self driving demos, not making a better human driving experience.

Just my two cents, as a total tech nerd.

When the first iPhone was released, I immediately knew it was better than anything on the market. Friends laughed at me and said “It doesn’t even have cut, copy, and paste. It has no keyboard. I’m sticking with my BlackBerry.”

Two years later, iPhone had cut, copy, and paste. And BlackBerry was a distant memory.

This was shockingly irritable as I read it for the second time. However, let us break this down in an objective, measurable manner as fellow engineers.

From one software engineer to another software engineer, what software and/or hardware has ever been produced without flaws, bugs, and other issues with today's system's complexity? I've been on over 15+ projects ranging from analytical platforms to realtime embedded systems to high performance computation systems with no luck in finding a "perfect" piece of code or hardware.

Second, rather than a vague "Tesla is more mature/better/faster" whatever you want to insert, what are the specific features that you would like to see implemented or improved vs. the Lucid? I would say doing the vice versa of that of what does Lucid do that's better than Tesla? What are the measurements you are using to establish a baseline for comparison? I am driving a Model 3 as a rental at the moment with much, much frustration with the UI/UX.

We can cover my gripes using the same rules:
- Tesla: no physical buttons. Lucid: AC/volume/fan speed buttons. The duality nature of having buttons is better because it gives users an option, irrespective of preference.
- Tesla: Every efficiency graphs based on real-time usage with a breakdown of categorical impacts. Lucid: Nothing of similar nature. The ability to breakdown how using different components/features/driving style/weather/etc. impacts usage metrics is vastly more accurate and effective than the experiments owners have done on the forum because it is based on your specific scenario with power usage against known and measurable categorical areas.

I can continue, but those are two major components with a pro towards each automaker as an example to work from.

Side Note to Admins: We should have guidelines along the above to ensure effective discussion and communication about feature differential between automakers, irrespective of hardware or software nature. In too many places, I see discussion based on feelings and vague anecdotal measurements. Those are a waste of time to the reader as much as it would be for Lucid or anyone else participating or reading such conversations.

We can cover my gripes using the same rules:
- Tesla: no physical buttons. Lucid: AC/volume/fan speed buttons. The duality nature of having buttons is better because it gives users an option, irrespective of preference.

I agree. I understand that for an econobox, putting every control in the touch screen saves money; I accept that. But for a luxury vehicle, or at least one that charges prices like a luxury vehicle, I expect to see buttons/switches as well. I am constantly changing radio stations and volume as I drive and I can do it without looking by using switches on the dash or switches on the steering wheel.

Side Note to Admins: We should have guidelines along the above to ensure effective discussion and communication about feature differential between automakers, irrespective of hardware or software nature. In too many places, I see discussion based on feelings and vague anecdotal measurements. Those are a waste of time to the reader as much as it would be for Lucid or anyone else participating or reading such conversations.
HERE is our guidelines laid out already if you haven't had a chance to read them. However, purchasing/ownership of this car cannot be broken down into purely objective terms, so I disagree that we should check our emotions at the door. One thing about owning a Lucid, which can be seen by the numerous posts scattered about the forum, is how special it makes owners feel.

Back