The Drive review: Awesome car but the software…

Overall, this feels like a very balanced and accurate review.

Agreed. Only issue I had was the complaint regarding the software update and being locked out. The car gives you 2 minutes to cancel the update if you are unable to remain out of your car. Other than that, thought it was pretty fair.

I had complained some time ago that most reviews on the Lucid curiously made no reference to the many software issues we read about on these many threads. This was one of the first that did and I found it refreshingly honest. I think honest reviews like this provide and even greater impetus for manufacturers to address issues. I know Lucid is addressing these issues, but lighting an additional fire can’t hurt.

With my Pure RWD reservation having hit the 2 year mark, the practical side of me is glad I’ll be at the end of the line in terms of actually being asked to firm up an order. Hopefully by that time the many concerning software stories I read about here will have dwindled down to a scant few.

My current i4 has been so trouble free and enjoyable, I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t be concerned if I were to step into a Pure today…as tempted as I’d be nonetheless.

Seems like an hones review and one that anyone that is new to Lucid or EV’s would appreciate.

I sure hope they get their software issues fixed soon and charging issues too, as some of her review issues are not acceptable. As more people buy their cars, beyond the initial orders, these issues will become a major problem if not ironed out quickly.

Agree with her on the trunk too, I think that was a strange decision.

Seems like an hones review and one that anyone that is new to Lucid or EV’s would appreciate.

I sure hope they get their software issues fixed soon and charging issues too, as some of her review issues are not acceptable. As more people buy their cars, beyond the initial orders, these issues will become a major problem if not ironed out quickly.

Agree with her on the trunk too, I think that was a strange decision.
🤷‍♂️ I like the trunk, but I like sedans and have never liked hatchbacks.

I also thought it was an honest review, minus the “locked out” for updates; there are ample warnings, it says it should be parked in a safe place, and gives you two minutes to cancel. 🤷‍♂️

The other thing was not knowing how to reset the car after the turtle mode; granted, that shouldn’t have happened, but knowing how to reset seems useful for anyone.

Overall, this feels like a very balanced and accurate review.

Thanks for sharing. I think you are spot on in calling it balanced and accurate. I could not agree more with the article's assessment regarding both the "driveabilty" of Lucid (the best experience I have ever had) and how poor the software still is. This is especially true after comparing how wonderful the software is in my daughter's 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV. The cheap Bolt's software is so much more advanced and reliable as compared to the limitations and unreliability of the Lucid's software. It is a bit embarrising. While the advancements made with the launch of 2.x a few months ago and its many updates, the software is still very poor and unreliable. I am tired of the various unpredictable failures (i.e., failure to recognise me, no sound at all, failure to wake up in a timely manner, going to sleep with me right next to the car, etc. etc. etc.). This is a very disappointing to me and I am afraid I have lost patience with Lucid and its software team. If a $29K Bolt can have a superior software package compared to my $150K Lucid, it tells me that Lucid just has not made its software a priority. Instead of developing a $250K very fast Sapphire, I wish they would focus on developing an adequate user experience/interface.

I had complained some time ago that most reviews on the Lucid curiously made no reference to the many software issues we read about on these many threads. This was one of the first that did and I found it refreshingly honest...
I would not assume that most people are having a large number of significant software issues with the Air. Problems are magnified in user forums. Since the 2.x OTA, my car has been basically fine. Though the sample size is small, I think that the proportion of reviews that mention significant software problems, versus those than do not, may roughly approximate the fraction of owners experiencing software problems with their cars.

I would not assume that most people are having a large number of significant software issues with the Air. Problems are magnified in user forums. Since the 2.x OTA, my car has been basically fine. Though the sample size is small, I think that the proportion of reviews that mention significant software problems, versus those than do not, may roughly approximate the fraction of owners experiencing software problems with their cars.
I am finding with each update, the platform is becoming more and more unstable in different and subtle ways. Very frustrating....

I have to agree. I have had relatively few software issues thus far. I fully respect and believe others who are experiencing these problems, but I am not seeing much of anything with my own car, other than the occasional glitch.

I have to agree. I have had relatively few software issues thus far. I fully respect and believe others who are experiencing these problems, but I am not seeing much of anything with my own car, other than the occasional glitch.
Same.

I have had a few s/w issues but none that I would consider significant and easily fixed by one of the resets. I would also say that some of my issues may be from me being new to the car - still have under 1000 miles on it.

I think I will start a log of the issues as they pop up and then post it on the forum to see if others are having the same issues.. This morning Alexa would anwser me but not start music. Had to resort to my cell phone playlist.

I am finding with each update, the platform is becoming more and more unstable in different and subtle ways. Very frustrating....
I would tend to agree. Ever since 2.047, I have some form of software glitch daily and have to reset car. Most common is issues with pilot panel or rear camera not working. Others include, no sound, no 360 view, side view mirror tilting and unable access control on pilot pane, various audio sources freezing up…. System was much better prior to 2.047 and I only would reset maybe once a week.

Reactions: DJL
I would tend to agree. Ever since 2.047, I have some form of software glitch daily and have to reset car. Most common is issues with pilot panel or rear camera not working. Others include, no sound, no 360 view, side view mirror tilting and unable access control on pilot pane, various audio sources freezing up…. System was much better prior to 2.047 and I only would reset maybe once a week.
WOW…I would be so fed up if that was my experience. Almost 6 months of ownership and I’ve reset the car twice. First was when I picked up the car for the sound system and the second was to reset an alarm about the headlight auto-leveling system. I hope I’m not jinxing myself. Sometimes the music stops but I can always get it to play again just by switching screens. I don’t like Alexa so I don’t use it so maybe I’ve saved a few resets there. There are many improvements and enhancements needed but it’s been a remarkably stable platform for me.

WOW…I would be so fed up if that was my experience. Almost 6 months of ownership and I’ve reset the car twice. First was when I picked up the car for the sound system and the second was to reset an alarm about the headlight auto-leveling system. I hope I’m not jinxing myself. Sometimes the music stops but I can always get it to play again just by switching screens. I don’t like Alexa so I don’t use it so maybe I’ve saved a few resets there. There are many improvements and enhancements needed but it’s been a remarkably stable platform for me.
It’s been a bit rough recently. I also don’t use Alexa as I find it useless. I have 7500 miles on the car and love the drive, but the software resets are killing me. I keep hoping that each new update will fix these annoying bugs. 🤞

The car reviewed here was a GT. I wonder whether the rate of glitches has decreased with newly delivered Tourings…though in a few days time I should be able to add a data point to answering that question myself.

• Hmm
Reactions: DJL
I agree. I’ve had nothing other than occasional glitch that I easily ignore and whatever it is is gone before I get to my destination.

I understand that you can win a presidency by emphasizing how terrible everything is.
Or you can use your intelligence and writing skill to promote a cleaner world and brighter future for human civilization.

he chose to be a prick ... probably a Russian bot.

Back