The curse of early adopters

Ampere

Verified Owner
Cars
Honda Accord Hybrid
I feel for everyone on this forum who has encountered serious issues with his/her new Lucid. Back in 1972 I bought one of the first Mazdas with the Wankel rotary engine. Technologically, the Wankel was a wonder and performed better than a conventional V8. In the three years I owned that Mazda it was nothing but trouble. Even the wheel bearings went (which had no relation to the Wankel engine). Only Mazda dealers had the tools and knowledge to service the car. (Does this sound familiar?) I sold it to a friend after 50K miles. My next car was the very first Honda Accord, which I paid sticker price to obtain. It immediately had a major recall which the dealer's service department bungled. Ultimately it was reliable until the body rusted off. I sold it just before this. At least Honda offered to repaint every single one of the original Accords. I finally lucked out with one of the first Toyota Camrys, which rarely gave me a problem in the decade I owned it. So yes, I am expecting to refresh my vocabulary of curse words if and when I receive my Air Pure. Thanks to past experience and the wise souls on this forum at least I won't be in for a surprise. Incidentally, my Mazda stopped dead in the middle of Chicago's Dan Ryan Expressway. I was lucky to get it to coast to the shoulder and after several minutes being able to restart it. So I know the terror the few of you must feel when your Lucid goes turtle.
There is one aspect of the Lucid saga I find vaguely amusing-- those who are paying the big bucks for the Dream Edition and Grand Touring are the guinea pigs smoothing the way for those waiting for Touring and Pure models. GM's electric car problems centered on the Chevy Bolt, not the Cadillac Lyriq.

I suppose teething problems are to be expected. The proof is in how Lucid is addressing these issues. It seems a bit hit or miss from what I have been reading. I am thinking on getting a Pure (I had entertained getting a Touring, but the dual motor option for the Pure cured me of that) next year; by then I hope that software updates will solve most of what is out there now and less fit and finish hiccups.

I feel for everyone on this forum who has encountered serious issues with his/her new Lucid. Back in 1972 I bought one of the first Mazdas with the Wankel rotary engine. Technologically, the Wankel was a wonder and performed better than a conventional V8. In the three years I owned that Mazda it was nothing but trouble. Even the wheel bearings went (which had no relation to the Wankel engine). Only Mazda dealers had the tools and knowledge to service the car. (Does this sound familiar?) I sold it to a friend after 50K miles. My next car was the very first Honda Accord, which I paid sticker price to obtain. It immediately had a major recall which the dealer's service department bungled. Ultimately it was reliable until the body rusted off. I sold it just before this. At least Honda offered to repaint every single one of the original Accords. I finally lucked out with one of the first Toyota Camrys, which rarely gave me a problem in the decade I owned it. So yes, I am expecting to refresh my vocabulary of curse words if and when I receive my Air Pure. Thanks to past experience and the wise souls on this forum at least I won't be in for a surprise. Incidentally, my Mazda stopped dead in the middle of Chicago's Dan Ryan Expressway. I was lucky to get it to coast to the shoulder and after several minutes being able to restart it. So I know the terror the few of you must feel when your Lucid goes turtle.
There is one aspect of the Lucid saga I find vaguely amusing-- those who are paying the big bucks for the Dream Edition and Grand Touring are the guinea pigs smoothing the way for those waiting for Touring and Pure models. GM's electric car problems centered on the Chevy Bolt, not the Cadillac Lyriq.
GM just recalled Lyriq for software issues

...Back in 1972 I bought one of the first Mazdas with the Wankel rotary engine. Technologically, the Wankel was a wonder and performed better than a conventional V8...
My dad bought one too. First car I'd ever been in over 100mph. Around town, it was a lot of fun to wind it up a bit just before parking, then get out and walk away. A minute later, there would be a huge "boom" out the exhaust system as unburned fuel in the thermal reactor ignited. I was a teenager and too stupid to realize the risk to the car.

Back