Tesla's Full Self Driving software development

Wow. Nothing in there is surprising, from what I've heard. But this paragraph should give any investor pause:

"Toward the end of 2020, Autopilot employees turned on their computers to find in-house workplace monitoring software installed, former employees said. It monitored keystrokes and mouse clicks, and kept track of their image labeling. If the mouse did not move for a period of time, a timer started — and employees could be reprimanded, up to being fired, for periods of inactivity, the former employees said."

If you know anything about how software is developed, you know this is beyond idiotic. All the best programmers I know spend little time typing and most of their time thinking. The thought that their managers don't know that is a clear signal that they are screwed, long term.

Anyone with serious talent should have quit the day this spyware was installed.

I'm still waiting for Tesla's day of reckoning. It'll be here sooner or later.

Wow. Nothing in there is surprising, from what I've heard. But this paragraph should give any investor pause:

"Toward the end of 2020, Autopilot employees turned on their computers to find in-house workplace monitoring software installed, former employees said. It monitored keystrokes and mouse clicks, and kept track of their image labeling. If the mouse did not move for a period of time, a timer started — and employees could be reprimanded, up to being fired, for periods of inactivity, the former employees said."

If you know anything about how software is developed, you know this is beyond idiotic. All the best programmers I know spend little time typing and most of their time thinking. The thought that their managers don't know that is a clear signal that they are screwed, long term.

Anyone with serious talent should have quit the day this spyware was installed.
As a software engineer, I know this to be true. However, I also know from a monitoring standpoint, there is little difference between the smoke and joke engineers vs hard working engineers. Both can take significant time to go about doing a task.

I don't agree with monitoring software at all. There are better ways to measure performance. Tesla was definitely in the wrong on this one alongside any other company doing this.

Back