Tesla Recall Tied to FSD

pjdcorp

Cars
touring
Tesla Inc. TSLA -1.45%decrease; red down pointing triangle is issuing a recall for roughly 362,800 vehicles equipped with its advanced-driver assistance system that the company markets as Full Self-Driving beta, federal safety regulators said.

In a notice published Thursday, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said that some Teslas in rare circumstances could violate local traffic laws, potentially increasing the risk of a collision if a driver fails to intervene.

Tesla Inc. TSLA -1.45%decrease; red down pointing triangle is issuing a recall for roughly 362,800 vehicles equipped with its advanced-driver assistance system that the company markets as Full Self-Driving beta, federal safety regulators said.

In a notice published Thursday, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said that some Teslas in rare circumstances could violate local traffic laws, potentially increasing the risk of a collision if a driver fails to intervene.
So, is this one of Tesla's usual "software recalls" where you just install the latest update and you're good to go? Or do owners have to take their cars in for some sort of equipment adjustment?

When I had my Model 3, I received a number of recalls. Some were for faulty equipment (like the trunk camera wiring coming loose) while others were already taken care of in a software update before I even read the recall.

The camera coming loose one was actually pretty terrible, because the notice actually told me to take no action. Not all cameras would become disconnected, and mine never actually did. But they identified a bad part in the wiring system and were supposed to replace it, anyway. They didn't have the new part yet, though, so there was no reason to schedule an appointment. They would reach out to me, they said, when the part was available.

And then they never reached out to me. I turned the car in at the end of the lease more than a year later before they ever offered to schedule a time to fix it.

So, is this one of Tesla's usual "software recalls" where you just install the latest update and you're good to go? Or do owners have to take their cars in for some sort of equipment adjustment?

When I had my Model 3, I received a number of recalls. Some were for faulty equipment (like the trunk camera wiring coming loose) while others were already taken care of in a software update before I even read the recall.

The camera coming loose one was actually pretty terrible, because the notice actually told me to take no action. Not all cameras would become disconnected, and mine never actually did. But they identified a bad part in the wiring system and were supposed to replace it, anyway. They didn't have the new part yet, though, so there was no reason to schedule an appointment. They would reach out to me, they said, when the part was available.

And then they never reached out to me. I turned the car in at the end of the lease more than a year later before they ever offered to schedule a time to fix it.
The “fix” is an over-the-air update and does not require a trip to the service center. Musk complained that the media should not have labeled this as recall because it did not require visit to service center.

The “fix” is an over-the-air update and does not require a trip to the service center. Musk complained that the media should not have labeled this as recall because it did not require visit to service center.
For once, I kind of see his point. People have a very specific idea of what a “recall” is. And installing a software update isn’t it.

For once, I kind of see his point. People have a very specific idea of what a “recall” is. And installing a software update isn’t it.
Wasn’t the media labeling it as such, but the NHTSA, which explicitly calls software updates a recall if and only if they relate to a significant safety failure, so that the news of it is more widespread and owners are more likely to install it.

This update was due to a significant safety failure.

Back