Tesla Delivery process (For perspective) - Really?

SCOOTERSD

Verified Owner
Cars
Tesla S and 3
A member of my normal golf group ordered a Model Y intending for it to be delivered next year - and eligible for the $7500 rebate. Tesla contacted him and said that the car was ready for delivery now. When he said he was leaving town and would not be available to accept the car, they offered him $3750 discount (half the rebate) to accept delivery now. He accepted and arranged for a home delivery yesterday at 1pm. He asked me about what to look for when accepting a vehicle and I shared what little knowledge I had from previous purchases. It gets to be the time for delivery and he gets a text from Tesla that his car has been delivered! A little confused he went to the front of his house and there was his new Model Y - with no one else around. He went to the car and found the two key cards in the car! No personal contact and a brand new car sitting there with the keys inside. Nice way to run a railroad!!

A member of my normal golf group ordered a Model Y intending for it to be delivered next year - and eligible for the $7500 rebate. Tesla contacted him and said that the car was ready for delivery now. When he said he was leaving town and would not be available to accept the car, they offered him $3750 discount (half the rebate) to accept delivery now. He accepted and arranged for a home delivery yesterday at 1pm. He asked me about what to look for when accepting a vehicle and I shared what little knowledge I had from previous purchases. It gets to be the time for delivery and he gets a text from Tesla that his car has been delivered! A little confused he went to the front of his house and there was his new Model Y - with no one else around. He went to the car and found the two key cards in the car! No personal contact and a brand new car sitting there with the keys inside. Nice way to run a railroad!!
Me camping in the Himalayas: Cant wait to enjoy that Tesla model S!

Tesla app: Your car has been delivered
Me: Wtf?

I've read before that Tesla really pulls out all the stops to make end-of-quarter target goals. Leaving the customer with a sour taste is not a concern for them. Check off the delivery and realize that revenue.

When I ordered my Model 3, I was still living in New York, but we were moving over the course of January-March. My wife needed to get to her new job, so she moved ahead of me to Boulder, while I stayed back in New York for a few more months to tidy up affairs. Tesla assured me the car would not be ready until March, anyway. So I put in the order, thinking I didn't want to be without a car if they were late.

Sure enough, two days later, they write to me: "Your car is ready. Come and get it." This was still December. It was probably a cancelation. I told them I couldn't and they said they'd give the car to someone else. Fine.

Two weeks later, here they are again: "We have your car. Come get it." Same VIN. I couldn't tell if they didn't know they had already offered me the car or not. I was flying out with my wife, and we had a garage space, so I decided to take the car during the four days I was in town. Of course I had to get down to their only service center in the area at the time, 45 minutes away. No cab offered.

The wife doesn't drive much, especially not in the snow, so the car basically sat in the garage for two months until I got here. So I basically paid two extra months on a car that barely got any use, and they had no problem with that.

I've read before that Tesla really pulls out all the stops to make end-of-quarter target goals. Leaving the customer with a sour taste is not a concern for them. Check off the delivery and realize that revenue.

When I ordered my Model 3, I was still living in New York, but we were moving over the course of January-March. My wife needed to get to her new job, so she moved ahead of me to Boulder, while I stayed back in New York for a few more months to tidy up affairs. Tesla assured me the car would not be ready until March, anyway. So I put in the order, thinking I didn't want to be without a car if they were late.

Sure enough, two days later, they write to me: "Your car is ready. Come and get it." This was still December. It was probably a cancelation. I told them I couldn't and they said they'd give the car to someone else. Fine.

Two weeks later, here they are again: "We have your car. Come get it." Same VIN. I couldn't tell if they didn't know they had already offered me the car or not. I was flying out with my wife, and we had a garage space, so I decided to take the car during the four days I was in town. Of course I had to get down to their only service center in the area at the time, 45 minutes away. No cab offered.

The wife doesn't drive much, especially not in the snow, so the car basically sat in the garage for two months until I got here. So I basically paid two extra months on a car that barely got any use, and they had no problem with that.
I've been saying all during my time with the Model 3 that Tesla is pretty good at selling you your first Tesla. Your second Tesla, not so much.

While somebody takes the keycard and drives it away
The keys are locked in the car and you need the Tesla App with your account credentials to unlock the door. At least that was what was done when I got my Tesla Model S.

I've been saying all during my time with the Model 3 that Tesla is pretty good at selling you your first Tesla. Your second Tesla, not so much.
Lol, as they say, the sucker is being born every day.
Nice scam, Elon.

The keys are locked in the car and you need the Tesla App with your account credentials to unlock the door. At least that was what was done when I got my Tesla Model S.
This would make sense, but what about other people who have no idea what to do?

When you order a Tesla you create an online account just like you do with Lucid. They send you instructions prior to delivery explaining the process. I personally like going over the car in my own time.

I actually don't mind this method of delivery. I loathe the car buying experience and would just rather have it delivered for me to go over in my own time or go pick it up and be given the key to just drive away. To each their own though.

I actually don't mind this method of delivery. I loathe the car buying experience and would just rather have it delivered for me to go over in my own time or go pick it up and be given the key to just drive away. To each their own though.
I agree. Other than running my defect checklist, I don’t plan on having my DA walk me through every little function of the car when I pick it up.

However, some communication would be helpful in this case with the Model Y delivery. Seems like it was just dropped on the doorstep without much instruction. Or in my case, where the guy didn’t even walk me out to my car. Just pointed and said “there you go.” Didn’t even offer to instally my font license plate, either.

I agree. Other than running my defect checklist, I don’t plan on having my DA walk me through every little function of the car when I pick it up.

However, some communication would be helpful in this case with the Model Y delivery. Seems like it was just dropped on the doorstep without much instruction. Or in my case, where the guy didn’t even walk me out to my car. Just pointed and said “there you go.” Didn’t even offer to instally my font license plate, either.
Ah, but that’s not a $150k car. It is written into the 10 commandments that if the car is less than $100K, you should expect nothing, if it breaks you can’t complain, they can just leave it somewhere unceremoniously for you and if you find it and figure it out, well lucky you. But if the car is over $100K then Peter Rawlinson should give you his personal cell # and also ask you for advice on how to make the car not suck (it costs $150K so every penny in that car better meet expectations!) and offer more than just alkaline water for Christ sakes, like at least have seltzer as an option! ONEHUNDREDANDFIFTYTHOUSANDOLLARS!

@joec , do you have a specific Touring checklist or are you going to use the Grand Touring checklist?

@joec , do you have a specific Touring checklist or are you going to use the Grand Touring checklist?
Planning on the Grand Touring, since so much is basically the same. Probably an abridged version, as there is quite a bit on that list, and I’m comfortable skipping over a few items. Haven’t reformatted it to my own just yet. Evidently my car is still in Scottsdale, anyway. Probably waiting for other cars that are headed this way. Or they just can’t find a driver yet.

Planning on the Grand Touring, since so much is basically the same. Probably an abridged version, as there is quite a bit on that list, and I’m comfortable skipping over a few items. Haven’t reformatted it to my own just yet. Evidently my car is still in Scottsdale, anyway. Probably waiting for other cars that are headed this way. Or they just can’t find a driver yet.
If I DM you my email, can you email me a copy of your checklist?

@joec , I have the GT checklist but if there is a customized one you created for Touring can you please share the PDF

Thanks!

@joec , I have the GT checklist but if there is a customized one you created for Touring can you please share the PDF

Thanks!
Didn’t modify much. But I did remove things like checking massage seats, etc. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• Touring Checklist.pdf
    21.7 KB · Views: 161
Back