Tech talks

Bill55

Verified Owner
Cars
Sapphire - Dream Edition
DE Number
How long before software is part of a tech talk? If the software was half as good as the drive train. Lucid would be not only the best EV, but the best car, period. Right now the Lucid is like having a fiber optic internet connection that has super high latency. For customer satisfaction the drive train being the best in the world does not matter when the software sucks and it does suck. I’m in great anticipation of the day lock/unlock works to the level of 30k car.

lol is that your key fob or mobile key? Also, I've discovered that pushing the handle to get in requires a harder and longer push than in your video. Push it in all the way and hold it for like 0.5 seconds to open up. Test that out!

I’m certain you’ve already tried this, but I have found this happening in two scenarios:
1) push the handle a bit harder. It really wants a firm push
2) kill the Lucid app on your phone. There are conflicts (sometimes) between the app and the fob.

It’s super annoying when it happens, I agree, but for me now it’s only like 5-10% of the time, as opposed to *constantly* before

lol is that your key fob or mobile key? Also, I've discovered that pushing the handle to get in requires a harder and longer push than in your video. Push it in all the way and hold it for like 0.5 seconds to open up. Test that out!
Bullshit. I have.

I’m certain you’ve already tried this, but I have found this happening in two scenarios:
1) push the handle a bit harder. It really wants a firm push
2) kill the Lucid app on your phone. There are conflicts (sometimes) between the app and the fob.

It’s super annoying when it happens, I agree, but for me now it’s only like 5-10% of the time, as opposed to *constantly* before
I do not have the phone key active as it does not work well enough to use.

We’re just trying to help, man. No need to throw punches :p

Through living with the car, I’ve learned various tips and tricks, so just trying to pass them along.
We’re just trying to help, man. No need to throw punches :p

Through living with the car, I’ve learned various tips and tricks, so just trying to pass them along.
I don't post things that happen once or twice or three times. When it happens over and over and over and over again, then I take out my phone to record. I'm not throwing punches. I really like the Air, but I do tire quickly of Tesla like fan boy defense of the software. It is really bad. I had one of the very first BMW's shipped with iDrive. That software was universally derided in the automotive press and it was 10x better than what is on the Lucid. Lucid has been getting a pass on horrible software and in my opinion, promoting "work arounds" doesn't help. I think the video is obvious evidence unlock sucks.

I don't post things that happen once or twice or three times. When it happens over and over and over and over again, then I take out my phone to record. I'm not throwing punches. I really like the Air, but I do tire quickly of Tesla like fan boy defense of the software. It is really bad. I had one of the very first BMW's shipped with iDrive. That software was universally derided in the automotive press and it was 10x better than what is on the Lucid. Lucid has been getting a pass on horrible software and in my opinion, promoting "work arounds" doesn't help. I think the video is obvious evidence unlock sucks.

1) I’m not defending the software - it’s buggy, and feels beta, though it is improving.
2) I can’t fix the software, but I can help provide workarounds that have made it less annoying for me.
3) The press tends to give Lucid a pass on software because, generally, they’re not using it for very long and the company is brand new. Also can’t fix that.

Anyway, just trying to help. Good luck.

1) I’m not defending the software - it’s buggy, and feels beta, though it is improving.
2) I can’t fix the software, but I can help provide workarounds that have made it less annoying for me.
3) The press tends to give Lucid a pass on software because, generally, they’re not using it for very long and the company is brand new. Also can’t fix that.

Anyway, just trying to help. Good luck.
Thanks. Not trying to be testy. I want Lucid to succeed and if they don't get the right person in charge of software and give it the attention to detail they have to the drive train, I am afraid they will get overrun by BMW, Mercedes, GM, Ford, VW group, Stellantis ......

Lucid has been getting a pass on horrible software and in my opinion, promoting "work arounds" doesn't help. I think the video is obvious evidence unlock sucks.

It's true that some reviews gloss over the software issues. However, many don't. I've seen many written and video reviews where the author comments up front that the review is not going to cover software, saying it's too unbaked at this point to be reviewed beyond acknowledging that it's still seriously lacking. And don't forget that Lucid probably lost the North American Car of the Year Award because one of the judges wrote a lengthy piece in the Detroit Free Press saying that the software was bad enough to take the car completely out of the running. Apparently enough other judges agreed with him that Lucid fell into second place behind the . . . . wait for it . . . Honda Civic.

As for the doors unlocking, recent software updates seem to have mostly resolved the issue with our car. The car now reliably unlocks as I approach it either with just the key fob or with both the mobile key and the fob. (I often don't take my phone into the garage if I'm just doing something with the car in situ, but I no longer find the conflict between the fob and the phone app that I once did.) The only problem I still have is that there is a delay of a few seconds before the doors unlock. I have occasionally reached to dig the fob out of my pocket to give it two taps on top only to have the door handles extend and the mirrors unfold while I'm still digging. If you're running up to the car in the middle of a downpour this delay could be a bit annoying.

Jason posted this on Reddit the after the Hagerty's video came out the other day.
1647350815650.png

I chuckled when I read this on Reddit the other day. I had been wondering if my aggravation at the ridiculous brightness of the passenger airbag warning light was just an idiosyncratic obsession.

I chuckled when I read this on Reddit the other day. I had been wondering if my aggravation at the ridiculous brightness of the passenger airbag warning light was just an idiosyncratic obsession.
Unless it is just my eyes or my car, the airbag light has been dimmed on the GTs. The switch for the hazard lights is brighter than the airbag light on my car.

Bullshit. I have.

This is awesome! I get your frustration. I would be in the same place.

Made me giggle when watching and reading. Not taking joy in your pain; just recognizing that it could have easily been me.

Unless it is just my eyes or my car, the airbag light has been dimmed on the GTs. The switch for the hazard lights is brighter than the airbag light on my car.

Dammit. Another reason why I should have gone for a DE over an AGT: Brighter light bulbs! :p

Did you apply that light dimming sticker someone posted here?

Did you apply that light dimming sticker someone posted here?

I actually ordered it via the Amazon link that was posted, but I haven't gotten around to putting it on yet. Maybe this afternoon, now that you've prodded me.

By the way, Sandy Munro and one of his engineers posted a YouTube video in which they did a running commentary on Rawlinson's battery pack "Tech Talk" episode. Munro commented on what a good presentation it was, and he was also extremely complimentary on the design and build quality of the car John Rettinger showed him. He thought the "Tech Talk" was extremely helpful for someone in his line of work but who will not be able to tear down a Lucid as he does Teslas and other cars, both because of the high price of a Lucid and the lack of a large enough market for the engineering reports he sells from these teardowns.

However, just over 7 minutes into the 33-minute video it was suddenly removed while I was watching it. I wonder if Lucid raised objections?

Last edited:
I actually ordered it via the Amazon link that was posted, but I haven't gotten around to putting it on yet. Maybe this afternoon, now that you've prodded me.

By the way, Sandy Munro and one of his engineers posted a YouTube video in which they did a running commentary on Rawlinson's battery pack "Tech Talk" episode. Munro commented on what a good presentation it was, and he was also extremely complimentary on the design and build quality of the car John Rettinger showed him. He thought the "Tech Talk" was extremely helpful for someone in his line of work but who will not be able to tear down a Lucid as he does Teslas and other cars, both because of the high price of a Lucid and the lack of a large enough market for the engineering reports he sells from these teardowns.

However, just over 7 minutes into the 33-minute video it was suddenly removed while I was watching it. I wonder if Lucid raised objections?
You can get a DMCA takedown over a commentary now? That seems...not right. Hopefully it comes back because I'd like to watch it!

Maybe it was Tesla that raised objections...lol

Back