SXM REALLY?!?

From some of the comments in here Lucid should just take the approach of why bother. The car didn't come with SXM from day 1, it was never advertised as having SXM so you didn't have to buy it if it was such a big deal that you couldn't live without. Now a compromise has been provided and people still aren't happy. Lucid seems to be in a situation of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I pity them when CarPlay eventually comes out because I can see all the comments now saying "it's too small on the screen" "it's shit" "why didn't they do this" "why didn't they do that"
Yea, I will be first in line to admit I did make the assumption that it would include a feature I have had on every car I have owned (other than my antique cars) for the past couple/few decades at every price point, from Mazda, to Mini, Infiniti, Ford, BMW, Mercedes, etc. That was definitely my fault, mea culpa, etc.

I am not quite sure about this, but the ability to have SiriusXM radio has been almost as standard as Navigation. My son's 2015 Mini has SiriusXM, but no Nav, and no back-up camera for that matter. He actually has to turn around to go in reverse safely, the horror.

I was fine with it being that way and have accepted it. It is just too bad Lucid forced itself into having to make a "compromise".

Some of the original prototypes actually had sharkfin antennae, so maybe they might have considered it at some point.

There are no aerodynamic considerations when the XM Satellite antenna is mounted above or below the rear deck lid. Also, the FM tuners are usually mounted close to the antennas and many of them (e.g Tesla model S/X) have XM integrated as part of the tuner assembly.
The EQS has a hidden SiriusXM antenna.

The EQS has a hidden SiriusXM antenna.
My 1968 Oldsmobile 4-4-2 has my SiriusXM antenna in the fiberglass wing of the car. As long as there isn't a lot of metal or other signal obstructions it can be hidden easily.

DSC_0275.JPG

Yesterday I eagerly downloaded the latest rev from Lucid to get the SXM app. I live in a very rural area so anything cellular based is useless for our area. I was so excited to hear about the SXM app coming. Last weekend I attended the Dallas salon grand opening and inquired about the upcoming SXM release. During the discussion I asked if we would have to bring our cars in for an antenna install. I was told no the cars were originally outfitted with integrated antennas. Although I hadn’t noticed one I didn’t question the answer.
after I downloaded the app I pulled the car out of the garage and configured the app for my favorite stations. It was awesome.
to my surprise unlike every other car I have when I pulled the car inside the music continued to play. I thought wow how insightful they have it designed to work both outside via satellite and inside via WiFi. How cool is that! Well to my extreme shock i took the car out for drive this morning and as soon as I got out of cell range the music stopped and I got a message that my WiFi signal was lost. It appears that we did not get real satellite based SXM but instead a WiFi based app. If this is the case for the first time since my ownership I’m extremely disappointed and feel this was a very misleading representation of the facts.
I couldn’t be more disappointed in the app and for the first time I’ll admit the company. Actually I’m totally pissed!
Our Lucid GT arrived in early October minus Sirius. My husband got very upset. We started questioning it immediately. We soon learned that Lucid does not have an integrated antenna. You can buy a Sirius radio kit and have it installed. We bought one, but can’t find anyone that wants to run the wiring to hook it up and I don’t want to risk having the interior torn up. Then, we were told the app is on the way. Yes, it will be cell based, but that is not a major problem for us where we live.

Am I the only one who’s SXM wasn’t working today

Am I the only one who’s SXM wasn’t working today
Nope, known issue and they working on it. My Sirius XM app worked for one driving session and then stopped working altogether when I tried to change to another designated favorite. Since then, nothing comes up when you select the SiriusXM app, no categories, no favorites, nothing. I just went back to listening to Tidal.

Nope, known issue and they working on it. My Sirius XM app worked for one driving session and then stopped working altogether when I tried to change to another designated favorite. Since then, nothing comes up when you select the SiriusXM app, no categories, no favorites, nothing. I just went back to listening to Tidal.
Ahh ok, I’ll try a soft reset when I get home and see if it works

I would be fine with Lucid’s iteration of SXM. My current BMW i4 has both the satellite version of XM as well as the internet version. The internet version actually has additional stations not available on the regular XM.

I have used SXM every day for many years (got my first radio in 2004). For me it is my go to for radio. I can get news channels and music channels with curated by decent DJs and supplemental content. To me this is superior to computer generated "radio" with algorithm based playlists. I have a Tesla 3 as well and find Slacker to be "brainless". On my morning drive, I listen to Stu Varney on Fox Business and in the afternoon I listen to Alt Nation, The Beatles Channel or Real Jazz. Breakfast with the Beatles hosted by Chris Carter has been a KLOS staple for decades. Now daily only on SXM. There is real value in SXM. It is annoying that Lucid did not put in an antenna and hardware SXM radio, but I am delighted that they have integrated a native SXM app in the Lucid UX so that I do not have to use my iPhone over bluetooth like I still have to do with my Tesla.
I agree - I have SXM in my Infiniti (note to moderators - I'm not comparing). I listen to either SXM or my tethered cell phone (apple in this case). The Infiniti doesn't have CarPlay and never will. But the SXM is a nice feature - I've never had a situation where it wouldn't work - however, there are spots where it works poorly.
As with all technology - cellular will become more ubiquitous - and, therefore, your reception will improve thru time. When that happens is largely up to carriers and not car manufacturers.
There are some advantages to SXM due to their contract with NFL etc. It's nice to be able to listen to a game - every game - while on the road.
I just received my update but haven't looked at it since it's still installing.

I agree - I have SXM in my Infiniti (note to moderators - I'm not comparing). I listen to either SXM or my tethered cell phone (apple in this case). The Infiniti doesn't have CarPlay and never will. But the SXM is a nice feature - I've never had a situation where it wouldn't work - however, there are spots where it works poorly.
As with all technology - cellular will become more ubiquitous - and, therefore, your reception will improve thru time. When that happens is largely up to carriers and not car manufacturers.
There are some advantages to SXM due to their contract with NFL etc. It's nice to be able to listen to a game - every game - while on the road.
I just received my update but haven't looked at it since it's still installing.
Do you use SirusXM through the Infinity infotainment system or through the app on your iPhone (via bluetooth or USB)? The reason I ask is that SiriusXM when using it natively via a satellite antenna the signal is either there or not (not working poorly, which I took as poor reception similar to radio frequencies), if it's not there it will show "acquiring signal." On the app from the phone if the cellular signal is poor, the playback will stop once the buffered data has run out and start back where you left off (unless you click on "Go Live").

Back