Survey: Your plans for exterior paint protection

What have you done (or plan to do) to protect the exterior paint of your new Lucid Air?

• Paint Protection Film (PPF) and Ceramic Coating

Votes: 51 48.6%
  • Paint Protection Film (PPF) with no Ceramic Coating

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • Ceramic Coating with no PPF

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • Paint sealer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Regular waxing

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Nothing other than washing the car

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • Other - Please post an explanation

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Minnesota Mike

Verified Owner
Cars
GT/Grey/Tahoe/19
I am curious about your plans are for exterior paint protection...

@Minnesota Mike: Many of the new films (SunTek Reaction and Xpel Ultimate) have an outer 'ceramic like' layer such that you never need PPF and Ceramic

On my higher end cars I always have Xpel applied but only on the hood, front and front wheel areas. In other words from the windshield forward.

Is there a definitive "superior" option here? I'm pretty ignorant about wraps but heard they peel over time?

Wraps will peel if you keep your car in the sun. If you HAVE to store it outside, it'll still protect the paint, but the PPF will protect from paint chips (to a degree) it's the ceramic that will protect the paint from fading

Why don't manufactures do this for their cars out of the box?
Some do to a certain extent. Dealers/manufacturers are doing them as "dealer add-ons". But, really, if they do then the customer who wants to change it or do something else will have to pay to get it removed.

Some do to a certain extent. Dealers/manufacturers are doing them as "dealer add-ons". But, really, if they do then the customer who wants to change it or do something else will have to pay to get it removed.
I guess I am asking, is there a downside to doing this?

Depends on how much they would charge etc etc. But if Lucid offered to wrap the whole car and ceramic coat it for something like...5-10k, I'm sure most of us would have done it via the factory. But then again...everyone has their own opinion on which PPF/Ceramic is the best, or what they want. It's probably just too much of a headache and would have to be done at the SC for Lucid. Maybe in the future as an option?

Mine is in the shop now getting PPF and Ceramic coating.

Mine heads to the shop in 10 days for full PPF, ceramic coating and tinting. In the meantime, I’m applying leather and carpet protection next week.

Porsche offers it as an add on, but it’s honestly cheaper to do after market.

A large number of us in Bay Area have done OCDetailing. If you check their YouTube channel, they have both mine and @borski car on it. A few others in the Bay Area have used Deep Reflections (I don’t have personal experience with them)

I get annoyed by squeaks and rattles. Scratches on the outside don’t really bother me.

My wife is the opposite. Lol.

I was on the fence about PPF/ceramic, I think it depends on the car. But multiple detailers have said Lucid’s paint is “soft”, and based on the paint chips that happened on the hood of my Mercedes from normal driving/New England winters I think it’s mandatory to do hood/fenders/mirrors PPF. I’m gonna do ceramic also just cuz of reported ease of washing. After doing one wash on my car so far before any of that stuff has gone on the black, while it is gorgeous in person, looks dirty FAST and water spots show up everywhere even if you thought you dried it perfect, and the front bumper metal really shows those spots. And rain adds more water spots, so ceramic really should help that dirty water slide off.

I'm a newbie to this thread and I just got my AGT Zenith red. Do I need both PPF and Ceramic or will one of those be fine ? And what's the typical cost ?

Just got my car back: full Xpel wrap, ceramic coat, side and rear windows tinted. Looks great!
Approximately how were you charged? I received the following quote in Virginia:

XPEL Paint Protection Film Full Vehicle Protection
$7,700.00

XPEL Fusion Plus Ceramic Coating Add-on to full vehicle PPF - without Paint correction
$1,200.00

XPEL Prime XR Plus Window Tint - Car
$899.00

Total: $9,799.00

Approximately how were you charged? I received the following quote in Virginia:

XPEL Paint Protection Film Full Vehicle Protection
$7,700.00

XPEL Fusion Plus Ceramic Coating Add-on to full vehicle PPF - without Paint correction
$1,200.00

XPEL Prime XR Plus Window Tint - Car
$899.00

Total: $9,799.00
@zkhan2 I was just under $7K for full car PPF, window tint, windshield protective film and interior ceramic + carpet protection

Back