Stop charging before unplugging ?

Doctor.K

Reaction score
Cars
2024 Lucid Air touring
DE Number
do we have to stop charging before unplugging ? 🤔 just noticed on my dash it says “stop charging before unplugging”

do we have to stop charging before unplugging ? 🤔 just noticed on my dash it says “stop charging before unplugging”
No. It’s perfectly fine to pull out the plug while it’s still charging. I tend to stop it first, but every once in a while I forget.

The car and charger have safety mechanisms built into to protect you and the equipment should you unplug without stopping the charge. That said, I think of safety features as a backup for when I forget not something to count on every time. It is best practice to stop charging before unplugging. This is most important for DC fast charging since the current and voltage can be very high. For level 2 AC charging, it is hard to hurt anything. When level 2 charging, I usually push the plug release button and wait until I hear the relay in the EVSE disconnect before unplugging.

The car and charger have safety mechanisms built into to protect you and the equipment should you unplug without stopping the charge. That said, I think of safety features as a backup for when I forget not something to count on every time. It is best practice to stop charging before unplugging. This is most important for DC fast charging since the current and voltage can be very high. For level 2 AC charging, it is hard to hurt anything. When level 2 charging, I usually push the plug release button and wait until I hear the relay in the EVSE disconnect before unplugging.
However unlike L2 charging with L3 charging you can’t remove the plug until the charging has been stopped…whether you want to or not.

However unlike L2 charging with L3 charging you can’t remove the plug until the charging has been stopped…whether you want to or not.
Huh? You can remove the plug, doing so stops the charging.

This is not true. You can remove the plug as long as the car is unlocked.

This is not true. You can remove the plug as long as the car is unlocked.
I know that’s the case with L2 charging. I was always under the impression that to avoid the possibility of arcing you had to stop L3 charging before removing the charging plug, otherwise the plug was locked. I was never aware of this.

I know that’s the case with L2 charging. I was always under the impression that to avoid the possibility of arcing you had to stop L3 charging before removing the charging plug, otherwise the plug was locked. I was never aware of this.
Nope. Yeah, same exact behavior as L2.

Back