Steering wheel replacement

Same for me as far as current symptoms ..
How long have you had the “new” wheel now?
Just a few days so far. So we'll see if it remains "creakless." But I'm confident it will.

Just a few days so far. So we'll see if it remains "creakless." But I'm confident it will.
I think you will find that this one solves it.

Question: compared to your older wheel, does your new wheel have a smaller gap where the two pieces of leather meet? It’s a little bit of a Princess and the Pea thing, but the older wheels were a bit easier to grip because they had deeper gaps.

I think you will find that this one solves it.

Question: compared to your older wheel, does your new wheel have a smaller gap where the two pieces of leather meet? It’s a little bit of a Princess and the Pea thing, but the older wheels were a bit easier to grip because they had deeper gaps.
I did not notice such a difference

Would you be wiling to upload a photo of your new streering wheel? Want to see if it's different than what they already replaced a couple months ago

Would you be wiling to upload a photo of your new streering wheel? Want to see if it's different than what they already replaced a couple months ago
They look identical, so a photo won’t answer your question. Your service advisor will be able to tell you what version they put on. Also, If it doesn’t creek and your buttons are solid, chances are you have the most recent version.

I had my steering wheel replaced in March 2023 due to the right button breaking off. Initially it had zero squeak/creaks but a month ago it developed them annoying noises. Service took a look at it and applied some foam tape which mitigated about 75% of the noise. But a week after that service the creaks came right back. I plan to notify them of this issue again when I need to take it in for service. Will they replace it free of charge (2nd replacement) just because of the creaking?

I had my steering wheel replaced in March 2023 due to the right button breaking off. Initially it had zero squeak/creaks but a month ago it developed them annoying noises. Service took a look at it and applied some foam tape which mitigated about 75% of the noise. But a week after that service the creaks came right back. I plan to notify them of this issue again when I need to take it in for service. Will they replace it free of charge (2nd replacement) just because of the creaking?
I believe they will. Creaking is a known issue that a lot of us have encountered. And they’ve replaced many wheels because of it under warranty.

Honestly, I have no clue if the creaking is coming from the wheel or the plastic casing behind/under the wheel (or both). On Monday I reached out to the guy I have been dealing with at my service center to find out if I have the latest steering wheel. No response yet.

Honestly, I have no clue if the creaking is coming from the wheel or the plastic casing behind/under the wheel (or both). On Monday I reached out to the guy I have been dealing with at my service center to find out if I have the latest steering wheel. No response yet.
I've also noticed a noise when I rotate the steering wheel. It sounds sort of like a faint ratcheting. My car was delivered Feb 2023. Curious whether you've heard back from service about yours?

I've also noticed a noise when I rotate the steering wheel. It sounds sort of like a faint ratcheting. My car was delivered Feb 2023. Curious whether you've heard back from service about yours?
My service center guy was supposed to get back to me (last week) with current steering wheel version on my car but has yet to do so. Unfotuantely he doesn't respond very well so I have to continue bugging him. I will post once there are some developments ..

You might consider raising it with regular service so they can generate an internal ticket. I’m going to watch mine for a bit…I have a pending request for another QOL issue with the car anyway.

You might consider raising it with regular service so they can generate an internal ticket. I’m going to watch mine for a bit…I have a pending request for another QOL issue with the car anyway.
You are probably right. Its just that it ends up going to him anyway I believe. I texted him again this morning. If I hear nothing back by tomorrow I will file an official service/issue with the main line.

The creaking is still a problem in the August 2023 built Pure I took delivery of last week.

The creaking is still a problem in the August 2023 built Pure I took delivery of last week.
That's unfortunate to hear. Supposed to be getting another wheel tomorrow morning. This will be the 3rd wheel (original from when I got the car in May/2023, 1st replacement wheel at end of May/2023, and now this replacement..). In addition, they also performed some work on the 1st replacement wheel on a separate service call to eliminate the "creaking/squeaking", but the creaking/squeaking came back rather quickly.
Additional forum post here: https://lucidowners.com/threads/steering-wheel-creaking.3378/post-159411

UPDATE:
I received the latest steering wheel today. We took it for a test drive and there is NO noise. I am hoping it will remain this way ! 🤞
Things I learned:
- The service technician has seen the issue all over the place including their own loaners
- He uses the term "clicking" to describe the noise.
- My previous wheel (received May/2023) was one version behind the one he installed today
- The noise is definitely not coming from the plastic casing below the wheel. Or from pressure to it via the wheel. Its coming from the wheel itself.

I hope this information is helpful to others..

We just had our steering wheel replaced due to the common button issue others have experienced on this forum. I’ve got to say, the new steering wheel feels and looks different. It’s probably in my head, but the new wheel feels like it’s a much better quality than the one we replaced.

Very pleased with the communication and fact Lucid provided a loaner while they had our vehicle. We live in Huntsville, AL and they picked up our vehicle and dropped off a loaner for our use while the repairs were performed in Atlanta. @mcr16 Thank you for your assist in elevating the original issue. Also, Neal Johnson, my service POC, was phenomenal to work with. Super responsive and thorough. Could not be happier with that group.

Back