Steering wheel replacement

thecodingart

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid AGT
Referral Code
JWJOWFN3
If your steering wheel happens to be "squeaky", call Lucid and get it replaced. FINALLY had the technician come out and swap my wheel and it's a world of difference. Almost everything on the wheel has been tightened up (scroll wheels and their respective buttons) and no more squeak. It's dead silent on use now.

I got my car May 22 2023. My steering wheel was replaced about a week later. It was still "squeaky" though. About a month later service looked at it again. This time they removed steering wheel and added felt tape between back plate and steering wheel assembly. Unfortunately still squeaky today. Especially noticeable when making turns.
When my car was in for service for other issues, both loaners I received (with under 1k miles on them) squeaked like crazy!

This is so maddening. Is no one else having this issue? Or have you chosen to ignore it? It doesnt seem that they (service) can or know how to address this! :(

I got my car May 22 2023. My steering wheel was replaced about a week later. It was still "squeaky" though. About a month later service looked at it again. This time they removed steering wheel and added felt tape between back plate and steering wheel assembly. Unfortunately still squeaky today. Especially noticeable when making turns.
When my car was in for service for other issues, both loaners I received (with under 1k miles on them) squeaked like crazy!

This is so maddening. Is no one else having this issue? Or have you chosen to ignore it? It doesnt seem that they (service) can or know how to address this! :(
I just had my wheel replaced entirely, and it no longer squeaks at all. They've been constantly updating the wheel itself. We are probably several revisions since whatever wheel you have.

I just had my wheel replaced entirely, and it no longer squeaks at all. They've been constantly updating the wheel itself. We are probably several revisions since whatever wheel you have.
Mine was replaced at the end of May. Are you thinking there is yet a newer/better one? How long have you had the new wheel? Cause initially after having mine replaced it didnt squeak either but then it came back

when you say "squeaky", is it a real squeak, or is it the plastic on the back of the steering wheel column that you are referring to? The plastic on mine constantly makes noise every time i touch the wheel.

when you say "squeaky", is it a real squeak, or is it the plastic on the back of the steering wheel column that you are referring to? The plastic on mine constantly makes noise every time i touch the wheel.
Im not sure what the proper word to describe this is. I’ve used creak and squeak but maybe there is a better word. I don’t know. All I know is that the steering wheel makes sounds when it’s used.
Maybe I can try to get a video recording

I've got a question about this.... does the noise happen when you are turning? Mine is silent when turning but if I apply force to it, pushing away from my body into the wheel, then it's very creaky. Doesn't take much pressure to make the noise.

I think this is what I experience. If you touch the steering column behind the wheel, you will feel all the plastic that moves around pretty easily. It feels very flimsy. I believe that is the cause of the noise.

Could very well be the plastic behind the steering wheel. Or maybe combination of both wheel and the plastic behind it. Hard to tell

For me, it was only when I was turning. And not 100% of the time. Sure, if I put pressure on it back and forwards it would also creak, but why would I do that?

When they told me they were ordering a whole new wheel, I told them whatever made the creaking stop was fine with me. Didn’t need to do all that. But they insisted it was the only way to get rid of my specific creak.

The new one is smooth as butter and doesn’t creak at all. It also feels like the leather is slightly different. And it brought that new leather smell back into the car, which is very nice. It’s seemingly a minor thing, but I have to say, with that one tiny thing fixed, I’m that much more excited about driving it again.

Any chance the new wheel has better quality buttons up front for the tracks and voice activation and ddp?

Any chance the new wheel has better quality buttons up front for the tracks and voice activation and ddp?
I don't notice any difference with the buttons or the rockers. Doesn't mean they haven't made the rockers a bit more resistant to falling off, though.

Personally, I don't see why people have an issue with the six main buttons on the wheel. They feel and operate great for me.

The buttons on my steering wheel act differently every day, from working as they should to not working at all to, today, working sometimes when you press it way harder than it should be pressed. Hopefully lucid will fix it next week.

The buttons on my steering wheel act differently every day, from working as they should to not working at all to, today, working sometimes when you press it way harder than it should be pressed. Hopefully lucid will fix it next week.
Yeah, sounds like you have an issue there. Could be they end up replacing your wheel for that.

I had my steering wheel replaced a little over a month ago and the clicking came back within a couple of weeks. If I'm driving normally it's not unbearable, but if I'm making a lot of turns or doing some spirited driving it is really a nuisance. The clip below is from before the wheel was replaced, but the replacement sounds almost as bad already.

Personally, I don't see why people have an issue with the six main buttons on the wheel. They feel and operate great for me.
It probably depends on what iteration of the steering wheel people have. I have a Feb 2022 build and the tactile feel of the buttons on the original wheel was awful. The second wheel was much improved and the third wheel that I received in June is even better. I have no complaints about the current design.

It probably depends on what iteration of the steering wheel people have. I have a Feb 2022 build and the tactile feel of the buttons on the original wheel was awful. The second wheel was much improved and the third wheel that I received in June is even better. I have no complaints about the current design.
I’ve had 4 iterations (long story) and the current wheel seems to have solved the creeking and loose buttons. My only minor gripe is that the seems where the two pieces of heather meet are shallow and no longer provide a gap to provide a slip free grip during HA. Small price to pay and I don’t even use HA anymore after the last update.

For me, it was only when I was turning. And not 100% of the time. Sure, if I put pressure on it back and forwards it would also creak, but why would I do that?

The new one is smooth as butter and doesn’t creak at all.
Same for me as far as current symptoms ..
How long have you had the “new” wheel now?

mine feels a bit loose and it makes a quick noise when i turn (not always though). is this what you guys are talking about?

Back