Steering Wheel Button Issue

skywaterbanjo

Verified Owner
Picked up my car on Tuesday. Lots of little glitches that come and go. Most annoying problem is the lever in the left side steering knob is broken and won't stay in place. This is the button that activates ACC. Anyone else have this issue? I hate to think I have to take the car in to have this fixed, seems like it just needs a new 'lever'.

Just drove 450 miles today from Scottsdale to So. Orange Co., one recharge in Indio at the Walmart. No issues whatsoever but it was annoying not being able to use cruise because of the button that broke.

Picked up my car on Tuesday. Lots of little glitches that come and go. Most annoying problem is the lever in the left side steering knob is broken and won't stay in place. This is the button that activates ACC. Anyone else have this issue? I hate to think I have to take the car in to have this fixed, seems like it just needs a new 'lever'.

Just drove 450 miles today from Scottsdale to So. Orange Co., one recharge in Indio at the Walmart. No issues whatsoever but it was annoying not being able to use cruise because of the button that broke.
They will fix it. Just let service know.

Service will fix it but be warned that it will require a new steering wheel since the buttons cannot be replaced. There seems to be a long lead time for steering wheels. I have a button out on mine and was told 4-6 weeks.

Lucid is going to replace steering wheel on my car due to same issue.

I had the same problem. It happened within a week after I got my car (Nov 2022). Yes, they have to replace the entire steering wheel as Lucid does not have the "lever" as a part in stock. They can do it with their mobile service. Takes about an hour.

Just had this happen with the left side roller button on the steering wheel (see pic 1). This tiny little $4 part had to be replaced with an entirely new steering wheel (see pic 2) - absurd! The tech told me do not push up on those buttons they are not meant to be pushed up or down (see pic 3). He showed me that I was supposed to pinch the roller and twist it up or down (see pic 4). I was floored - that is a design flaw. He did a demo on how to use those roller buttons "correctly". I think this is truly a design flaw, everyone is going to use the silver part as a grip to roll the button up or down, not just push in the button. I see I am not the only one to have this button break - maybe they should start ordering extra of this tiny flawed part rather than be so wasteful. Does anyone know how much a new steering wheel costs - because once this baby is out of warranty, I can guarantee I will break it off again and I will have to pay for the new steering wheel on my own - OUCH.
tiny broken button.jpg
solution to button.jpg
how not to use the roller button.jpg
how to use the button.jpg

Just had this happen with the left side roller button on the steering wheel (see pic 1). This tiny little $4 part had to be replaced with an entirely new steering wheel (see pic 2) - absurd! The tech told me do not push up on those buttons they are not meant to be pushed up or down (see pic 3). He showed me that I was supposed to pinch the roller and twist it up or down (see pic 4). I was floored - that is a design flaw. He did a demo on how to use those roller buttons "correctly". I think this is truly a design flaw, everyone is going to use the silver part as a grip to roll the button up or down, not just push in the button. I see I am not the only one to have this button break - maybe they should start ordering extra of this tiny flawed part rather than be so wasteful. Does anyone know how much a new steering wheel costs - because once this baby is out of warranty, I can guarantee I will break it off again and I will have to pay for the new steering wheel on my own - OUCH.View attachment 12144View attachment 12145View attachment 12146View attachment 12147
The reason they don't just replace the individual piece is apparently because they are concerned about the liability of the button not working afterward, so they'd rather replace the entire wheel. That said, I've always done the pinch thing because I find it keeps me from accidentally pausing the music because that button is too easy to press while adjusting volume.

I agree it's not an ideal design, though, for sure.

The reason they don't just replace the individual piece is apparently because they are concerned about the liability of the button not working afterward, so they'd rather replace the entire wheel. That said, I've always done the pinch thing because I find it keeps me from accidentally pausing the music because that button is too easy to press while adjusting volume.

It is an odd design choice. Overly complicated. Looks like a wheel but it’s not. It is essentially a rocker.

I have been using the button above the Pilot panel for the volume and the button on the right only to answer and hang up calls.

I have been using the button above the Pilot panel for the volume and the button on the right only to answer and hang up calls.
Same, I basically never use the side buttons, but I do have pretty thin fingers so I try to grip the grooves nicely and then I use that to go up or down on the wheels. I do a slight push into the button as to not go against it perpendicular

Just had this happen with the left side roller button on the steering wheel (see pic 1). This tiny little $4 part had to be replaced with an entirely new steering wheel (see pic 2) - absurd! The tech told me do not push up on those buttons they are not meant to be pushed up or down (see pic 3). He showed me that I was supposed to pinch the roller and twist it up or down (see pic 4). I was floored - that is a design flaw. He did a demo on how to use those roller buttons "correctly". I think this is truly a design flaw, everyone is going to use the silver part as a grip to roll the button up or down, not just push in the button. I see I am not the only one to have this button break - maybe they should start ordering extra of this tiny flawed part rather than be so wasteful. Does anyone know how much a new steering wheel costs - because once this baby is out of warranty, I can guarantee I will break it off again and I will have to pay for the new steering wheel on my own - OUCH.View attachment 12144View attachment 12145View attachment 12146View attachment 12147
I just noticed that the button on right side fell off... asked the repair technician .. he said it will be repaired same day when scheduled

I just noticed that the button on right side fell off... asked the repair technician .. he said it will be repaired same day when scheduled
Most folks have needed an entirely new wheel after that happens… Keep us posted.

While my steering wheel was being replaced for the button that fell out, my technician told me the following. When this problem first appeared, the plan was to just replace the button. Then things changed to replacing the steering wheel. They thought it was due to the small broken piece of plastic floating around inside the wheel and becoming a safety and liability issue.

When I picked up my car in Dec 2022 the right volume button on the steering wheel was actually missing; I didn't notice it until I was 200 miles from the delivery location in Chicago. Notified CS and they immediately ordered a new part. I thought it would just be the missing button but mobile service showed up and replaced the entire steering wheel.

When I picked up my car in Dec 2022 the right volume button on the steering wheel was actually missing; I didn't notice it until I was 200 miles from the delivery location in Chicago. Notified CS and they immediately ordered a new part. I thought it would just be the missing button but mobile service showed up and replaced the entire steering wheel.
With the growing frequency of this issue and what seems like inevitability of more users experiencing the problem, Lucid needs to come up with a repair option that can replace the toggle wheel modules on the wheel itself (with hopefully a better solution). Unless they are pushing the entire cost down to a sub-supplier, I'm unsure if the steering wheel was developed and manufactured internally.

Back